Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't understand the Brownell lovefest...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

I don't understand the Brownell lovefest...

Feb 16, 2018, 9:25 AM

Really, what has the guy done in his entire time at Clemson to deserve the praise some of you give him?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't understand the Brownell lovefest...

Feb 16, 2018, 9:37 AM

keeps us competitive in this league with inferior talent on the roster. Other than that I have nothing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you serious Clark?

Feb 16, 2018, 9:54 AM

He has one good season and you guys are like SEE I TOLD YOU SO!!!! Lets recap shall we?

Season W L Win % ACC W ACC L ACC % ACC Finish Post
2010–11 22 12 0.647 9 7 0.563 T-4th NCAA Second Round^
2011–12 16 15 0.516 8 8 0.5 7th —
2012–13 13 18 0.419 5 13 0.278 11th —
2013–14 23 13 0.639 10 8 0.556 6th NIT Semifinal^
2014–15 16 15 0.516 8 10 0.444 9th —
2015–16 17 14 0.548 10 8 0.556 T-7th —
2016–17 17 16 0.515 6 12 0.333 12th NIT First Round^

This is pretty flippin' terrible.

Re: Are you serious Clark?

Feb 16, 2018, 9:57 AM

I think "terrible" is a pretty harsh word. Maybe you meant mediocre?

But let's see, this would make his 3rd 20+ win season, we're going to return the core of this team and our young talent has done well this season, and we have a pretty solid recruiting class coming in again.

From the looks of those ACC records it looks like we just had one "bad" season, but other than that he has exceeded the expectations of the talent on the roster as the poster above said.

Those stats sort of support his argument and counter your own.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2018, 10:02 AM

This will be the 4th time in 8 years we have done better than 500 in the league. 2nd time in 8 years we have made the NCAA tourney. If thats pretty good to you, Ive got nothing else for ya.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:07 AM

Can you not read? The post you replied to said "keep us competitive in the league with inferior talent."

It's the 5th time in 8 years (over half) that we have finished .500 or better, which I would define as "being competitive" in the best league in college basketball with inferior talent, which is pretty much inarguable.

Also, you have to take into account just how bad the ACC was during the end of OP's tenure. Hell, there was one year that we won 20 games and weren't even ranked, even though we finished 4th in the ACC. The only two teams that were ranked were UNC and Duke.

I don't see how people have the revisionist history regarding OP, there is a reason we made tourney's and then lost in the first round every time.

But hey, if you want to be a downer and not enjoy this great season that we're having then go ahead and be my guest, but that's a pretty sad life.

Also, the cherry on top is there hasn't been any word of Brownell banging coeds and having to run off in the middle of the night to take another job and suck at it.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:11 AM

LOL, you mistake my post entirely. But thats what you sunshine pumpers do - cant tolerate any other opinion. Hell, why even have a message board if youre not allowed to debate anything.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:15 AM

I did? How so? Because you aren't even addressing anything in my post.

I countered your argument and you go straight to the "You're a pumper that's all you do, can't even tolerate another opinion..."

I'm not necessarily a pumper, I'm just not an over-reactor and I can take a step back and look at a bigger picture than a snapshot of the moment. That said I do believe Brownell took the steps he needed to this year to continue with the program, and I do think the future has good potential to be bright.

If you want to continue debating then go ahead, but with this post you didn't debate anything I said in my previous one, and instead turned to labeling me a pumper and then saying we can't debate because I don't agree with you. If we all had the same opinion there would not be a debate, therefore no message board.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:19 AM

I AM looking at the bigger picture, which is what most of you are failing to do. We have a decent season and you are all proclaiming we have arrived and Brownell is proven to be the great coach you said he was all these years. My point is, history says youre wrong. Who is over reacting? The guys who say we have arrived after one decent season or the ones that say we havent after 8 years of garbage?

Feb 16, 2018, 10:28 AM

You're looking at the bigger picture of the past, yes, but are you looking at the growth of our players from last year to this year? Are you looking at the fact that Mitchell, Reed, and Thomas are all juniors and should be back next year?

Are you looking at Simms being a major contributor as a freshman, even before the injury to Grantham? Trapp has played well and shown flashes, of course they both have mistakes due to experience, but they will grow.

There is no debate that most of our seasons have been average, but this season has not, and as I mentioned we have a core group of experienced and talented guys coming back.

And history, history says that Brownell has been just as good as other coaches we have had.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious Clark? ]

History would tell us to wait until the NCAA tourney and see how we do. We have been atrocious in tournament play. We are have a good season, down one of our better scorers and still seem to be keeping it together. Again, means nothing if you lose the first or second game of every tournament you play

Which has been the MO for us since Rick Barnes

Feb 16, 2018, 12:28 PM

I think Brad Brownell won a play-in game to get into the tourney which is technically a tourney win but OP had way better teams and had a hard time getting to the tourney too and would lose in 1st round every time.

Its a tough hump to get over.

A DECENT season?!? We are having an outstanding season!

Feb 16, 2018, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious Clark? ]

How many times has Clemson won 20 games in a season? How many times has Clemson been second in the ACC standings this late in the season? How many times has Clemson, in mid-February, been playing for a high seed in the NCAA Tournament rather than just hoping to get in?

I get your point, one season doesn't make a career. But the fact that you called this a "decent season" says a lot about your perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Feb 16, 2018, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious Clark? ]

Problem is, clowns like you (pioneer) don't debate. Am surprised if you're really a Clemson fan at all....... Using that term "sunshine pumpers" is getting old. You need new material.

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2018, 4:02 PM

That's the best part, I made several points and he didn't mention any of them. Just called me a pumper and said an opinion the opposite of some is destroyed, but we can't debate (even though he didn't actually respond to any points.)

Have you seen our history?***

Feb 16, 2018, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious Clark? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it's mediocre

Feb 16, 2018, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious Clark? ]

but mediocre should be TERRIBLE for Clemson.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Are you serious Clark? ]

He has the best acc winning percentage of any Clemson coach. Now I believe we should make the tourney almost every year but that is still something.

ACC schedule has been watered down tho

Feb 16, 2018, 11:54 AM

with expansion. We rarely play the 2 powerhouses twice a yr which "usually" is an automatic 4 losses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While we don't play UNC and Dook twice every year, we do

Feb 16, 2018, 11:57 AM

have to play Louisville, ND (on normal years), UVA, etc. so it's not really like we replaced the extra Tobacco Road games with scrubs.

I’m not sure how many people love him but I back him because he is

Feb 16, 2018, 9:37 AM

Our current head coach and I want Clemson to win. I equally don’t understand the douchebags who want Clemson to lose so that he gets fired. But can’t argue that 20-5 with 9-4 record tied for second in the acc isn’t half bad can you? Remains to be seen if he can bring them back together and make a run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got me - I don't get it either............

Feb 16, 2018, 9:39 AM

as far as I'm concerned, he's just keeping his head above water. Sure, this year's gone well but he hasn't shown any successful consistency from year to year yet which is the mark of a successful head coach.

So we throw out the records this year because we've been

Feb 16, 2018, 9:46 AM

successful?

Keep in mind we also renovated Littlejohn, and since then the results have been better for him.

Probably because you're not a Clemson fan.***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

My vote for POTD!***

Feb 16, 2018, 9:59 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2018, 9:45 AM

lovefest huh. guess you were not in here the other night. the mouthbreathers were out from under their rock in full force. guess they had been waiting all year to pounce. coach is well respected in coaching circles. that is good enough for me. he just needs to keep building on this years success.

Well he did win a tourney game and has us poised to go to

Feb 16, 2018, 9:45 AM

the tourney this year, which was the issue that most everyone brought up when wanting him fired.

I mean, it's February 16th and we're sitting tied for 2nd in the ACC standings with 20 wins already in the bag, and people are still complaining.

After last year people said "tourney or bust," and well, it looks like it won't be the latter.

Keep in mind this is also after losing our team leader and top 2 contributor less than half way through the ACC schedule.

You don't have to love the guy, but right now no one really has a leg to stand on to complain about him.

He didn't win a tourney game. He won a bogus play-in game.

Feb 16, 2018, 9:50 AM

Nobody outside of the fans of the teams that win those games considers them to be true NCAA playoff games.

And that his was very first year with Purnell's players.***

So, did we win a game in the tournament or not?

Feb 16, 2018, 9:51 AM

It's a simple yes or no question.

How many tourney games did Purnell win with his players? How many times did Purnell have us with 20 wins by the 9th of February?

I'll hang up and listen.

No

Feb 16, 2018, 11:13 AM

We won the play-in game to get into the tournament, but never made it passed the round of 64 under Brownell or Purnell.

Purnell had four 20+ win seasons.

Brownell is on his third. Give him time.

Who cares though? The Purnell ship sailed 8 years ago. Support this team!

Re: No

Feb 16, 2018, 11:19 AM

Well, according to official records we made it to the NCAA Second Round.

I'm all for giving him time, I think he's built a solid foundation to move forward on, and now he just needs to be consistent with it.

You Need To Pay Better Attention...

and start following basketball. Has done one of the best jobs in the country this season. Support the program rather than running around wanting to fire the coach. Pathetic. Losers like you only come out after a loss. Basketball is not football. There are going to be more losses. And ACC basketball is a whole lot tougher than ACC football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go geniuses

Feb 16, 2018, 9:56 AM

Brownell has NOT done well. At least Purnell made the tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_men%27s_basketball_seasons

He has done well with the talent he had after OP left, and

Feb 16, 2018, 9:59 AM

has the program moving in the right direction.

If you can't see that you must be blind.

Re: He has done well with the talent he had after OP left, and

Feb 16, 2018, 10:03 AM

You cant make that claim until he strings more than 1 decent season together.

Last year wasn't a good season, this year is, we're bringing

Feb 16, 2018, 10:10 AM

back a core of good players with the young talent we have that is playing well this year, and we will have the most experienced/talented back court since Rivers/Hammonds with a young Stitt.

I can most certainly say that that is "moving in the right direction," doesn't mean results will follow but you can't deny the upward trend right now.

Feb 16, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to He has done well with the talent he had after OP left, and ]

The talent has been decent, he had 2 all ACC players that are in the NBA.
As you said they were good enough to win some big games but just when you thinks it’s all good.
The unprepared CBB teams show up and finish the season.
It will happen this season also , we might win 3 more games before the season is over.
If you like a Decent season every 5-6 years and just want a good guy Coach .
Then Brad is your man.

Message was edited by: Tigs577

Feb 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

His talent has been below the other powers of the ACC, which it has been for the majority of Clemson Basketball's existence, and he has done better than most with it.

You do realize if we win 3 more regular season games that will be the most ACC wins in a single season at Clemson right? We've never won more than 11 in conference play.

He's only had one horrible season, the rest have been average (or decent), and this one has been great.

He also averages a 3-3 record over his last 6 conference games each year, which is not really being "unprepared" to finish the season.

I'm not sure where some people get their info from, but do some fact checking when giving your opinion on something that has results.

that page shows BB making it to the 2nd round in the tourney

Feb 16, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Here you go geniuses ]

is that true? I thought it was a play in game. Either way i don't see a ton different in the two. Other than OP could recruit a little better but that seems to be changing in BB's favor now b/c we've got a pretty good crop of players filling out our rosters now.

Feb 16, 2018, 10:02 AM

He is a great ambassador for the school in the way he conducts himself. He takes less than top recruits and makes them competitive while helping them to become good citizens. The only drama with the team is injury related. He is a winner.

News Flash

Feb 16, 2018, 10:25 AM

Coach Brownell isn’t leaving Clemson anytime soon so get off the train. You have the right to your opinion but you have absolutely no say so in this matter.

Support Clemson athletics.......
join IPTAY

Feb 16, 2018, 10:35 AM

Do you understand how hard it is to recruit basketball players to come to Clemson? For one, South Carolina is not a recruiting hotbed for hoops. However, North Carolina is. But if they're that good why would they not go to Duke, UNC, NC State, or a blue blood like Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova.

So with the guys we have recruited, Brownell has turned 2 of them into NBA draft picks. Produced a competitive team in the ACC year in and year out.

Now that we are 20-5, #11 in the country and #2 in the ACC and you are trying to dig up dirt on his resume? Are you kidding me? Our basketball "fans" are an absolute joke. Show some support or don't voice your opinion at all

We're enjoying this season*****

Feb 16, 2018, 11:17 AM

I think I see the problem

Feb 16, 2018, 11:28 AM

I don't see a "lovefest" for Brownell here. I see some folks, rightfully so, enjoying this season and hoping the success continues.

Some folks are hopeful that this season reflects the type of coach that Brownell really is and is some harbinger for the success of future seasons, but I'm not seeing some huge "He's the best coach ever!!!" outcry.

So I think perhaps the problem is that you have (unknowingly?) created that strawman argument?

He's our coach and we're doing well. Lets just enjoy that without having to argue about either canning or crowning him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well said and extremely accurate.***

Feb 16, 2018, 11:54 AM

Yeah, and I don't get the 'hatefest' either...

Feb 16, 2018, 12:49 PM [ in reply to I think I see the problem ]

given the current season.

Re: I think I see the problem

Feb 16, 2018, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I think I see the problem ]

One problem is we have a lot of coaches on tnet who couldnt throw a basketball in the ocean if they were standing at the end of a pier! But they are great at xbox

Feb 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

Basketball at Clemson is a 3rd class citizen. Our fans barely show up to support the team and our investment in the program is near the bottom of the league. But by all means let’s fire the coach and start over (again). What you will find is any coach the dumpers want won’t touch the job so we will end up with someone you have never heard of who will be fired in a few years or if successful will move to a better job or will be hit with a cheating scandal. How does that sound?

Feb 16, 2018, 11:44 AM

The solutions to your opinions will not be solved on this board. If you want results I would highly recommend you contact Brownell and/or our AD and voice your concerns. In the past, I have always found them to be receptive to criticism as well as praise.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 16, 2018, 12:07 PM

Across all sports, people like the coach when the team is good and dislike him when the team sucks. Not hard to figure out.

Feb 16, 2018, 12:21 PM

Wish he could design an inbound play.

When the FBI releases

Feb 16, 2018, 2:36 PM

The corruption report, and if Clemson and BB are shown guilty, then I'll be tremendously hacked! If they're not...hopefully a few will pay attention to those who are found complicit and find it somewhere within your deep, cold hearts, to factor those into your assessments. You might realize pushing a boulder up a muddy hill isn't as easy as it looks from the armchair, with beer in hand!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we are having our best season in 20 years, and one of the best ever.

Feb 16, 2018, 5:29 PM

Perhaps our best ever, depending on how things play out. That’s notable.

Anyone who has been paying attention knows that Brownell has done more with less at Clemson. Less talent, less administrative support, less fam support, and worse facilities than most other ACC schools. Only the last couple of years has he had good facilities and serious administrative support. It is no coincidence that our recruiting has improved, our talent level is higher, and we are winning more games.

It is logical to assume that we will continue being successful on the hardwood with a coach like Brownell given the support he is now (finally) receiving.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

I think Brad Brownell is ok. He gave me a kidney.

Feb 16, 2018, 6:08 PM

But in terms of his coaching he's just not getting it done. In fact I told him the kidney made me feel a little uncomfortable but he still wouldn't give me his other one. He has to go!!

Well Then You Don’t Understand Basketball***

Feb 16, 2018, 6:56 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic