Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most of Columbia residents do not have flood insurance.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Most of Columbia residents do not have flood insurance.

Oct 6, 2015, 4:06 PM

Losses are up to one billion dollars according to NBC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I became obsessed with the flood maps when I bought my last

Oct 6, 2015, 4:14 PM

home. But with that much rain, I don't know if you can expect some of these events. Can you make a claim when there is no reasonable expectation of a flood?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The man made lakes have caused most of the flooding.

Oct 6, 2015, 4:25 PM

Poor planning years ago with epic rainfall equals disaster !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of Columbia residents do not have flood insurance.

Oct 6, 2015, 4:22 PM

I didn't think you could get flood insurance if you were not in at least the 100 yr flood plain.

Oct 6, 2015, 4:25 PM

anyone can get flood insurance but you are required by your mortgage company to have flood insurance if you are in a flood plain.

Being very close to a water tower I considered it.

Oct 6, 2015, 4:28 PM

The cost was over $1000.00 per year. I'll just sue the water dept if the tower ever fails.

Re: Being very close to a water tower I considered it.

Oct 6, 2015, 5:34 PM

If you do not reside in a flood Zone flood insurance is very inexpensive. Flood zone x 250k would be about $450 a year . If your home is worth more you can go to an excess and surplus company to get that covered.
All the companies write though the federal government. Everyone needs a flood policy. It would not be a bad idea to check out earth quake insurance as well.

I disagree that "everyone" needs a flood policy. One thing

Oct 6, 2015, 6:22 PM

I have always said, I would never buy or build a home in a location that had the slightest possibility of flooding. Water levels never got within 100 feet elevation of my home, so I don't think I would need flood insurance. Build on high ground!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish everyone would do just that. Then i could go buy

Oct 6, 2015, 7:37 PM

a dirt cheap unwanted house on a nice river around here where i could fish and shrimp while drinking a cold beer on my dock.

There are two recognized flood plains

Oct 6, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Most of Columbia residents do not have flood insurance. ]

100yr and 500yr, which is meaningless other than they are calculated percent chance that you will get flooded on any given year (1% and .2%). It would be a d@mn shame if someone did their due diligence and determine that they didn't need to buy insurance based on not being in one of those two zones. But if a ### breaks... what do you do?

hopefully FEMA will set up programs to help homeowners &

Oct 6, 2015, 4:27 PM

other property owners with low interest loans, etc.....not a huge fan of a lot of what have turned into federal help boondoggles, but perhaps since Katrina, they've gotten most of the bugs worked out of the system and have better oversight to prevent fraud and do what the programs were designed to do---help those who actually need it

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hopefully FEMA will set up programs to help homeowners &

Oct 6, 2015, 11:03 PM

Even if geographical areas are deemed to be natural disaster zones by FEMA, applying for relief is income-based. My middle-class friends, who just finished a renovation project of their non-flood-insured first home, have literally lost everything, and I doubt Uncle Sam will be helping them rebuild their lives. Incredibly difficult times ahead for many South Carolinians - let's get about the business of praying earnestly and giving generously.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Oct 6, 2015, 4:31 PM

It is terribly sad to see so many lives ruined. You wouldn't think you would need flood insurance in most parts of Columbia. More than just property and homes I cant imagine losing family memories like photographs, videos, wedding pictures, etc.

I am praying for that City and the entire State for that matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

I live in this area, lots of homes still under water.

Oct 6, 2015, 5:29 PM

Thx Tat! There is a lot of carnage down here. I live in Rosewood so this hits close to home. Thank the Lord I'm in a high area, much higher than those near Gills Creek watershed. I'd agree that 90% or more do not have Flood Insurance. Last I chkd it was around $300 on a separate policy. There are stricter codes when building homes near wetlands (tend to be built higher off ground) but the homes affected were built a long time ago. This also includes apartments along Gill Cr Parkway. Lots are screaming at the property Mgr for available apartments it's kinda hard when there is none available. People are going to find out that Renters Ins doesn't cover loses from a flood. Same can be said for Car Insurance. There's gonna be a lot of people getting educated on the fine print in the come days. A lot of people are going to be pointing fingers at the owners of those dams that breached. Then there is the bodies of pets that are beginning to pop up. A brand new Petco opened up on Fort Jax Blvd and no one moved the animals to higher ground. Lots of students went to the Carolina game in MO only to come back to flooded apts with pets inside. Don't get me started on the elderly that refused to leave their homes. The media warned all of us it was coming. I got plenty of groceries and filled both my fridges. But most ignored it as usual bc complacency. Even I believed this was gonna pass over bc Saturday night was just some rain, nothing big. But man on Sunday the sky dropped hell on Columbia. I've seen 5 Joints flood a lot over the years with ####### students surfing Harden Street, but I didn't see any of them doing their best on Sunday. Now we all know what those go thru in the Midwest Ohio/ Mississippi River. Right now we have no city water. The water coming through our faucets is rusty and dirty but at lease we can flush our toilets. The reason why is bc our water treatment plant supply canal breached and is swallowed up by the congaree river. So starting tomorrow we will start rebuilding lives impacted by this tragic event. Hopefully it won't take years to rebuild but I'm afraid it will. BYOG if you want to make an impact!
Matt

Message was edited by: CRAWDAD®

Message was edited by: CRAWDAD®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually car insurance does cover flood damage to cars

Oct 6, 2015, 10:06 PM

if you carry carry comprehensive coverage on your policy.

Protection will only be provided up to the current value of the vehicle.

"With comprehensive auto coverage, not just wind damage but flooding is covered," notes Jeanne Salvatore, senior vice president for public affairs of the Insurance Information Institute. "Homeowners have to buy a separate policy for flood coverage."

Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood

Oct 6, 2015, 4:35 PM

insurance as of about noon on Friday I think.

It was a 48 hour shut down of new flood insurance.

BTW, flood insurance is federal.

Nice try at politicizing.. anyone has a wait period after ins purchase

Oct 6, 2015, 5:03 PM

But Obama doing it sounds better i guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Nice try at politicizing.. anyone has a wait period after ins purchase

Oct 6, 2015, 6:07 PM

Umm no if you knew what you were talking about I might listen. The gubmint halted flood insurance for 48 hours, no one could get it.

Oct 6, 2015, 6:12 PM

It defeats the purpose of having insurance if everyone buys it 48 hours before they need it...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 6, 2015, 6:20 PM

Are you lost? They suspended providing it for 48 hours. Meaning, you couldn't even get it. Not just a normal 48 hour waiting period.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:47 PM

It's apparent you don't understand how insurance works...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2015, 10:58 PM

I think you could use a lesson or two. You do understand I'm talking about new flood insurance, correct? I think you may actually struggle with reading as well, if so please let me know so
I can draw pictures.

Oct 6, 2015, 11:03 PM

I do understand you're talking about new policies. I'm just concerned you don't understand how adding a bunch of new policies would ruin the actuary tables.

Oct 7, 2015, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Nice try at politicizing.. anyone has a wait period after ins purchase ]

Flood insurance generally has a 30-day waiting period before taking effect.

Oct 8, 2015, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice try at politicizing.. anyone has a wait period after ins purchase ]

you are lost and showing your ignorance of the insurance industry and continuing to spout your ignorance at others. The waiting period is 30 days not 48 hours.
Nearly every company issued a moratorium on writing policies on Thursday or Friday of last week whether flood or regular homeowners and even some auto. You should not speak of things you do not know about.

Oct 8, 2015, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice try at politicizing.. anyone has a wait period after ins purchase ]

you do not know what you are talking about!

It is a federal program, but you buy it through the private

Oct 6, 2015, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood ]

companies.

Re: It is a federal program, but you buy it through the private

Oct 6, 2015, 7:30 PM

Absolutely correct. But like I said, they suspended it so that it couldn't be bought prior to this storm. I'm not making this up.

Re: It is a federal program, but you buy it through the private

Oct 8, 2015, 2:14 PM

You have no idea how things really work!

Re: Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood

Oct 6, 2015, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood ]

I haven't found anything remotely close to what you state. The President signed a bipartisan bill to prevent/reduce rates forbflood insurance.

Times like these are when most everyone asks and seeks help from the Federal Government, no matter their political leanings or aversion to government programs.

President Obama Signs Flood Insurance Relief Bill - Insurance ...http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/24/324217.htm

Suspension of Community EligibilityFederal Emergency Management Agency
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/09/01/2015-21657/suspension-of-community-eligibility

Re: Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood

Oct 8, 2015, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Also, Obama suspended anyone from being able to get flood ]

Any flood policy you buy does not go into effect for 30 days of the bind date. Unless it is required by the mortgagee and in a flood zone then its in effect the day its bound. But hey the government forces insurance companies to write health insurance for people with preexisting conditions so why not write flood insurance in the middle of a flood or a fire policy after the house burns down. What ever happened to self responsibility and being prepared?

Same thing happened in CO

Oct 6, 2015, 5:04 PM

a couple years ago. Boulder was hit hard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

How would you challenge being required to have flood

Oct 6, 2015, 5:35 PM

insurance when this 100, 500 or 1000 year flood didn't cause any flooding to my home? If it was going to ever flood, this would have been the time.

pay off your mortgage

Oct 6, 2015, 10:53 PM

If you own it, you don't have to insure it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would you challenge being required to have flood

Oct 8, 2015, 2:16 PM [ in reply to How would you challenge being required to have flood ]

Count your blessings. hey if you are willing to take the risk then that is your right but if the flood ever does get you then you are on your own and no government assistance. My point is the coverage is very inexpensive.

Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear

Oct 6, 2015, 5:37 PM

Plant is a Earthen ###. If Jocassee ### goes then Keowee ### will go and so Will Lake hartwell's ###. Huge disaster. Maybe a Nuclear Disaster

Not True the last time I looked at the inundation maps***

Oct 6, 2015, 7:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is the Nuclear commission making Duke prepare for such

Oct 6, 2015, 8:00 PM

a failure? COE said Jocasses failure would have a domino effect on the rest of the dams

Re: Why is the Nuclear commission making Duke prepare for such

Oct 7, 2015, 6:08 AM

A failure of Jocassee ### could cause Koewee ### to overtop, potentially causing flooding at Oconee. This overtopping is certainly not preferred but does not necessarily mean a failure of the ### nor a failure of Hartwell. Maybe it will but I've never seen studies showing this cascade (maybe they exist but none of the studies I've seen show that and I have seen a few).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am just going by what a high up COE said. The Force of the

Oct 7, 2015, 6:22 AM

water coming from Jocassee would knocked down the Keowee ###. The force of the water coming from both of those lakes would knock down the Hartwell ###. Besides Earthquakes, flooding rains, flaws in the ### there are terror groups that could go after the ###. They don't have to go after the Nuclear plant. What if a Tropical storm just sat over the Upstate and dumped 30" inches of rain? What if ISIS attacked the ###? Drone loaded with bombs? Expect the unexpected. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Not many in Columbia though they would ever be 10 feet under water. The Dams were not built for such a heavy rain

Dams were actually built for flood control ...

Oct 6, 2015, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear ]

"In 1950 the federal Flood Control Act authorized the building of Hartwell ### and reservoir. Straddling the South Carolina-Georgia state line, the ### would be constructed on the Savannah River to *control flooding* (along with) providing hydroelectric power."

Hartwell and the other lakes are actually just huge retention ponds.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah the Seneca R. and Savannah R. used to flood

Oct 6, 2015, 9:32 PM

So the dams were built to control the flooding.

The Big question is could Jocassee ### survive 2 feet of

Oct 7, 2015, 4:06 AM [ in reply to Dams were actually built for flood control ... ]

rain or a major Earthquake. The Nuclear Regulatory commission seems worried most about that Earthen ###

Re: Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear

Oct 6, 2015, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear ]

No.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brilliant answer! No what?***

Oct 7, 2015, 3:59 AM

From a Greenville News Article:

Oct 7, 2015, 5:23 AM

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130214/NEWS07/302140009/Whistleblower-urges-tougher-Jocassee-dam-security

"Looking down from its 385-foot-high peak, it’s difficult to imagine how this massive structure could fail — an unlikely event, but one that scientists say could cripple the Oconee Nuclear Station downstream and alter life in the Southeast for at least a generation.

How can we know? The power company, Duke Energy, says it has its methods — some that its officials will share, others they won’t.".................

Re: Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear

Oct 7, 2015, 5:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Hard to Believe the Only thing Protecting Oconee Nuclear ]

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130214/NEWS07/302140009/Whistleblower-urges-tougher-Jocassee-dam-security

"However, only the nuclear station is regulated by the NRC. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission inspects and oversees the ###, but doesn’t require the same security measures that a nuclear plant does, Criscione wrote.

Government studies show that a ### failure could inundate Oconee’s backup power system under more than 16 feet of water, well above its capability to withstand a flood."

Oct 6, 2015, 6:25 PM

same as most of us do not have earthquake insurance but in midlands that is more likey than this storm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point.***

Oct 6, 2015, 6:27 PM

Oct 6, 2015, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Most of Columbia residents do not have flood insurance. ]

I live in Columbia and have Earthquake Ins but not flood.

Oct 6, 2015, 7:51 PM

http://gsabusiness.com/news/55855-business-owners-individuals-can-apply-now-for-federal-aid

Oct 6, 2015, 7:58 PM

Suck bs everybody pays enough for house insurance. Every house should be covered. Such a ripoff

Feds run the flood insurance program for the most part

Oct 6, 2015, 11:06 PM

Homeowners policies originally started out covering fire damage and evolved over time to cover other perils. The problem with Flood insurance is it is hard to spread the risk when nobody will buy it except those living in flood zones. I don't see a bunch of insurance companies lining up to write flood insurance without the fed regulations. Too much adverse selection. The Feds put a lot of requirements on municipalities to make flooding less likely. A lot of insurance companies lose money on HO coverage and write it to help get other more profitable business...like auto and life.

Good article from the Greenville News on the Flood Ins

Oct 7, 2015, 5:13 AM

situation:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2015/10/06/owners-flooded-cars-homes-may-face-insurance-hurdles/73464098/

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic