Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nice essay from Patterson Hood via Bitter Southerner.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 606

Nice essay from Patterson Hood via Bitter Southerner.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:44 AM

For those wondering, Hood is founder of the Driveby Truckers and son of Swampers bass man David Hood.

http://bittersoutherner.com/patterson-hood-the-newer-south

Kinda long, but interesting. Somewhat of an attempt to put the Southern Rock Opera into prose, but somewhat different.

Warning: There are a couple of political references that will likely ruin it for some of the truly ardent wing nuts here. But it's not about politics.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

This pic is sweet

Aug 21, 2013, 9:49 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was his political reference about women without whiskey?***

Aug 21, 2013, 9:55 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:59 AM

An excellent read.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GREAT read!***

Aug 21, 2013, 10:01 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Southern Rock Opra is by far my favorite DBT album

Aug 21, 2013, 10:24 AM

When I tell people I'm from South Carolina, they always expect some sort of caricature. I think the album covers that expectation fairly well. The South is a wholly unique place full of good and bad, but the good is always eclipsed by the the shouting from the bad.

Agree 100%***

Aug 21, 2013, 10:32 AM

Whale, except SRO being the best DBT Album, that should be

Aug 21, 2013, 10:35 AM

1a. Decoration Day
1b. The Dirty South
2. Southern Rock Opera
3. Brighter than Creation's Dark
4. Blessing and a Curse
5. Pizza Deliverance
6. Gangstabilly
7. Big To-Do
8. GoGo Boots

I would prolly put Dirty South and SRO as 1 and 1a

Aug 21, 2013, 10:40 AM

I like the coherent narrative of SRO, but thats just the ghey English major in me flaring up.

Alabama A$$ Whuppin' might be my favorite

Aug 21, 2013, 10:43 AM

save The Avon Lady and Margo and Harold.

has something to do with who's doing the reporting

Aug 21, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Agree 100%*** ]

and where all the national new outlets are. They don't really understand southern distinctiveness, so they look for weird little things to report on and ignore everything else.

I'm not really sure what the "bitterness" is that they're looking for over at bittersoutherner, but all three of the first three essays make me skeptical. Are they bitter because of outsiders' perception of "the duality of the southern thing," or are they bitter because of "the duality of the southern thing?" So much of what's new about the New South is unquestionably good, but your average southerner is much more likely to recognize than other Americans that newness for the sake of novelty is not a good thing.

The first essay from the editor and Patterson Hood's essay seem to suggest that everything traditional about the south, everything that makes the south different, ought to melt into the "new cultures" it comes in contact with. Their bitterness seems to be more about embarassment that the south isn't more like everywhere else, and that "those guys" make fun of us for it, than it is about telling the #### yankees they can go on back to Ohio or whatever crumbling bit of the rust belt they came from if they don't like it.

To be sure, we need as much self- criticism as we need defiance and rebellion, but I'm not sure that bitter southerners are much different than people like the writer of the second essay, who might want to enjoy southern culture but who also want to tell us how they do everything better where they came from (admittedly, the essay doesn't say anything like that, but after the first and third essay one wonders why they picked a transplant from Pennsylvania to write the second essay, and the first one on food and drink).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he doesn't think the people elected represent him

Aug 21, 2013, 8:42 PM

and his vision of the south. He saw Alabama as Muscle Shoals, with all the black soul singers coming in a making awesome records, and people outside the south saw George Wallace frothing from the mouth. He sees Athens as a progressive southern town open to new ideas, but everyone sees the jackwagon that represents his district in congress as the representative of his area. People see "The South" as George Wallace and Strom Thurmond and whatever conservative ideologue is screaming and frothing and saying ignorant things to rile up the ignorant base. This is not his vision and experience nor my vision or experience in "the south". Granted, it is a part of "The South" but it doesn't tell the entire story.

Re: has something to do with who's doing the reporting

Aug 21, 2013, 11:43 PM [ in reply to has something to do with who's doing the reporting ]

the name of the blog came from no southern bars being listed in the top 100 bars of the u.s.

SRO has some great stuff but some is so bad, imo,

Aug 21, 2013, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Southern Rock Opra is by far my favorite DBT album ]

I can't even listen to it. I think The Dirty South is by far the best, and Carl Perkins' Cadillac is my favorite song followed by The Sands of Iwo Jima.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danko/Manuel - RIP Isbell Era Truckers***

Aug 21, 2013, 4:08 PM

That was third***

Aug 21, 2013, 4:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read that, and enjoyed it

Aug 21, 2013, 12:30 PM

While Hood's condescending political attitudes are annoying, I do enjoy his take on the south and southern culture. I hope they will pick a few guys with a little less antipathy towards "southern tradition" and the south's politics to write, but I'm not entirely optimistic given the slant of the editor's original essay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They'll probably have ot next week.

Aug 21, 2013, 1:45 PM

AND I WILL STILL READ IT.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for that, Snuffy. One of my favorite bands....didn't

Aug 21, 2013, 8:56 PM

start seeing them live until not too long after Jason Isbell left. I have been waiting patiently for them at some point to bring back Greenville to Baton Rogue into the setlist. They play Shut Up and Get on The Plane and Angels and Fuselage all the time. I'm not sure why they never throw the link between those two songs in every once in awhile. Just a kick #### rockin' tune......and The Dirty South is a hard one to beat. Love the early albums, though......TOO MUCH SEX! TOO LITTLE JESUS!

Re: Nice essay from Patterson Hood via Bitter Southerner.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:19 PM

Wow- The piece started off great until he started wallowing in slamming the right and praising Obama and the left. I bet he is a true economic scholar....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missed the slamming

Aug 21, 2013, 9:53 PM

Other than the fact that he doesn't like the fact that redistricting guaranteed that Athens would have a conservative representative, and one that makes the news for saying stupid stuff (which is a fact). He never praises Obama, just said that he is happy that there were some Obama signs in the rural south. It was a total of 2 paragraphs, where he stated his political opinion, which appears to be different than yours, which in a way, proves his point, there are conservatives in the south, but there are also liberals. The south isn't the homogenous red state bible thumbing bastion it is portrayed to be.

Re: Missed the slamming

Aug 21, 2013, 10:45 PM

...nor is the north and the blue states what it and they are made out to be. Ct had slaves until 1835, for instance and it is very segregated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, so what

Aug 21, 2013, 10:51 PM

Hood was talking about the south and how he feels it is misrepresented by people outside of the south.

Replies: 22
| visibility 606
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic