Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nice breakdown of the ACC vs Big12 contract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,194

Nice breakdown of the ACC vs Big12 contract

May 28, 2012, 6:58 AM

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2012/05/tv-contracts-acc-vs-big-12.html

Comparatively speaking, these 2 contracts are pretty even with the slight edge to the Big12, but the gap closes even further. If FSU and Clemson are the only ones to leave the ACC, then the travel cost will go up even with the Big12 consolidating the travel expenses for every member. Then you have that pesky $20 million exit fee that both schools would have to pay

The one thing I would point out is that one is based on 10 teams and the other is based on 14 teams. I have to wonder what adding 2-4 more programs invading the Southern TV markets would have to a Big 12 network? Also,the Big 12 would get a league championship game not to mention this new "Champions Bowl", all of which should add quite a bit more money to the annual buy out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

It's a well written article, but

May 28, 2012, 7:47 AM

He's comparing the new ACC contract to the old Big XII contract. Once the Big XII adds more teams, adds their conference championship game, and renegotiates their new contract, it will be worth a lot more. He does point out that in the Big XII each school can use one football game (least valued one), and several basketball games (again least valued ones) as part of their 3rd tier rights, but that's it. He doesn't give any value to them. Those games are worth something, even though it would be the bottom of the barrel. One thing Big XII schools could do to counter this is not play a Wofford. Play a better team and you will get more money for that one game you have control of. Just a thought.

Also, if the ACC loses teams then one would assume it will affect their contract, and right now the ACC is vulnerable. If the conference leadership had placed as much emphasis on football as basketball over the years then we probably wouldn't be talking about all of this. Just my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem is I've seen so many numbers thrown around

May 28, 2012, 7:59 AM

it's ridiculous. Not a single one of us not affiliated with the schools and conferences know exactly how much money is being talked about. I see all these hidden fees and payouts as well not accounted for talked about by reporters and mentioned by TDP and Swofford as well. What are the real numbers? How much is the difference? What are the travel costs really? What is the Big 12 really looking at in regards to a new contract?

The bottom line is any number thrown out right now is just a rumor or only a part of a total money package. That's why I can't really form an educated opinion on jumping or not. I'm not going on hearsay and I'm never going to know the specifics so I've decided to sit an observe. I know our BOT and AD know the specifics and I know they'll make the right move yea or nay. All I know is whatever we decide will be what's best for Clemson.

Hard to argue with that.

May 28, 2012, 8:08 AM

Good post.

Re: Nice breakdown of the ACC vs Big12 contract

May 28, 2012, 8:08 AM

Before I read the break down I just want to say this. I don't believe the the whole deal about the B12 is about just money. I think it is mainly about our chances about the place setting at the championship table. If the B12 and the SEC go through with their plans with a championship game between the mighty Four. We Clemson won't have a plate set at that table. And that would kill FB at Clemson as we know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice breakdown of the ACC vs Big12 contract

May 28, 2012, 8:15 AM

TDP & DW made the statement that NO one knows what's in the contract's other than the commissioner's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know if I trust him.

May 28, 2012, 8:18 AM

This from a previous article:

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2012/05/fsu-acc-what-if-they-leave.html

"...If the Seminoles take another ACC team with them, the ACC is faced with a decision - get back to 14 or stay at 12...If the conference couldn't work out a deal that would result in $20 million/year per team, could they at least keep the $17 million/year? I think this is very likely if not probable - as long as there are at least 12 teams. At worst, ESPN deducts $34 million/year (the cost of 2 teams) and keeps the rest of the deal as-is."

He thinks the media would consider extending a contract with the same total payout if FSU and Clemson left the ACC?

Clemson and FSU are collectively worth only 14% of the ACC total contract?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know if I trust him.

May 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

He's saying we're worth the same as Boston College or Wake Forest.

He's delusional

Re: I don't know if I trust him.

May 28, 2012, 10:58 AM [ in reply to I don't know if I trust him. ]

You get it, almost. I would put Clemson and FSU at 20%, at least, of the entire ACC contract. Without those two (the highest rated teams for National broadcasts) the next two are Miami and VT. After those two, the ratings start to dwindle......

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is of course the chance that the ACC (which is NOT

May 28, 2012, 8:56 AM

simply Swofford) could pick more teams. There are a few East coast teams that are football schools - like Penn State. Before the explosion of arguments begins on who we could or couldn't get, please remember that this is ALL speculation. I'm neither for or against leaving the ACC. There are clearly arguments in favor of each. Nothing said on this board is going to impact it either way so I don't know why I bothered to waste the hyper-space adding cannon fodder to the issue.

That's misleading...

May 28, 2012, 9:01 AM

1. I don't know where he's getting the numbers from. Big XII has agreed verbally with ESPN, but not signed anything.

2. Those numbers don't reflect CU/FSU being added (plus, Big XII gets a new contract past 12).

3. No mention of added money for Big XII Championship game.

4. Tier 3 is much different. A school can create their own network if they want. Probably not happenin at Clemson, but still a big point nonetheless.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: That's misleading...

May 28, 2012, 10:25 AM

He's speculating on the numbers. The Big 12 agreed verbally to a contract with ESPN that will be worth 20 million dollars per year.

It has not been signed because the Big 12 believes that they will be adding two more teams to the league this summer. If they do not, the contract will then be signed.

But even if you assume the contract is worth, on average, 3 million more per year. Add in the ability to make money on Tier 3 and even if you only make 3 million a year on that, now you are making 6 million more per year than in the ACC. Clemson can certainly make more than 3 million per year if KState can make 4.5 million per year.

Now you take the life of the contract, at 13 years X 6 million per year is 78 million dollars more. That IS substantial. That number gets higher when you factor in Clemson is likely to pull in minimum of 5 million a year on Tier 3. That jumps up to 104 million dollar difference and again, if Clemson matches what KU does at 7 million dollars a year now you are talking about 130 million dollar difference over 13 years.

Point is, he's comparing a contract with Tier 1, TIer 2 and Tier 3 against some assumed numbers of Tier 1 adn Tier 2 only. You have to compare apples to apples. Even if you assume his numbers are right for the Big 12 contract, you have to make some projections on what Clemson can make on their Tier 3 adn even conservatively its going to be 6 million more in the Big 12 than it was in the ACC

The biggest point there

May 28, 2012, 10:35 AM [ in reply to That's misleading... ]

is #2

With the ACC losing 2 of its 3 biggest media draws, and the Big12 gaining those, the Big12 numbers go up and the ACC numbers go down.

Additionally I think you can bet on at least an extra 1 million per year per team from the "Champions Bowl"

Everyone is forgetting that conferences share bowl revenue.

May 28, 2012, 10:46 AM

This can make a HUGE difference in the total revenue. This is outside the TV contract(s) and tier 3 money. The reason the SEC is making BIG money, is that their schools play in big dollar bowl games. That money is added to the other revenue.

There is also ticket sales that needs to be figured into the picture. Playing Duke, BC, Wake, etc. will not fill DV. Even if we only play Texas and OU every few years, they have such large fan bases, that we will have more buts in the seats. If we can keep FSU on the schedule, all the better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone is forgetting that conferences share bowl revenue.

May 28, 2012, 11:29 AM

Before now bowl revenue was a slight edge per school to the Big 12.

Now that the champions bowl is announced there should be a BIG edge to the Big 12 in that department.

The ACC will ink some bowl deal where they own it but ACC #1 vs any of the BE champ, ND, BYU, or SEC2/3 or BigTen2/3 won't command the same market value.

Several dead wrong points

May 28, 2012, 11:27 AM

1- Media analysts quoted by Chip Brown estimated FSU and Clemson to be able to rake in between OU's expected take (5m/yr) and UT's (15m/yr). This schmuck simply goes "durr I think they'd get 2m". Also even if 2m is all they get that is 2m they don't get in the ACC. 20m over 10 years? Yeah that adds up.

2- He tries to equate the backloading figures. They are not equal. Leaks have given the figures that the ACC deal is gonna be starting at 14 and get to 17 in 2021.

Leaks have also said the Big 12 will be at 20m as early as 2015. His figures for 20m are selling the Big 12 5m short. Assuming the leaks are accurate (which they seem to be since the leakers were right about the final amounts back in february) instead of a 1.6m gap it's a 6.6m gap in 2015. His averages for the Big 12 payout are also 1m shy of the 20.9 I remember the SBJ releasing. So he's inaccurate again.

The guy is once again dead wrong and flying with bad assumptions to slant the argument his way.

3- He neglects the fact that the Big 12 cuts a check of less than 1m per school to fund the league office and the ACC divides the pie by 15, not 14, slices to pay the league overhead.

So instead of the Big 12 at 19.6 and the ACC at 17.1 its closer to 20.9 vs 15.9 AND the Big 12 isn't as backloaded as the ACC.

4- He neglects to adjust the Big 12 deal for at least 1.5m for a title game (every game except the ACC or CUSA/MAC gets this. He also neglects to add FSU and Clemson's value to it. That would give a minimum bump of 1m and thats conservative on it.

So minimum 23.4 vs 15.9 without including tier 3. I have seen estimates of minimum 5m. He estimates 2m. To prove my point let's use his figure.

25.4 vs 15.9 with very little benefit of the doubt given to the Big 12 side of things. If we allow for a 1m larger tv bump and a 7m tier 3 deal you could end up with 31.4!

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,194
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic