Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Show me a scientific study “proving” something is true...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Show me a scientific study “proving” something is true...

Jul 13, 2020, 10:00 AM

And I’ll show you two more that “proves” it’s false.

Show me one that proves something is false..and I’ll show you two more that proves it’s true.

Gotta love “science” in today’s world.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

follow it***

Jul 13, 2020, 10:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is exactly what has been going on with COVID-19

Jul 13, 2020, 10:12 AM

Everyone is in a rush to find answers (for good reason), but the information is often as clear as mud and very contradictory.

For every side of the equation, you can find an article to support your argument.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree to an extent but the vast majority of information shared about Covid has been

Jul 13, 2020, 10:18 AM

This doctor or scientist “says” this or that. That is not an actual study. The virus hasn’t been around long enough to have many actual studies.
When you see an actual study with a statistically valid sample size it is worth noting. Doesn’t mean it’s infallible but it’s a lot better than some person “says”.
Frankly that is the issue I’ve had with mask wearing. I’m happy to wear one in public because it can’t hurt but I’ve seen no scientific studies proving it does with normal breathing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree to an extent but the vast majority of information shared about Covid has been

Jul 13, 2020, 11:09 AM

The study with every type of mask do show that most of them do slow the velocity of a cough, with some containing the vapor to the person coughing. If I'm around people, and if I even hear someone clear their throat, I'm making tracks in the opposite direction, and if they cough, I'm turning around as fast as two magnets facing their north pole side to each other getting as far away from them as possible. I don't stand close to anyone, and I don't allow anyone to stand close to me. I personally believe that the mask with a reasonable distance from others is the safest way, and that is the way I carry myself in the public. If I ever become covid-19 positive, I know that I done the best I could do not to get it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about coughing

Jul 13, 2020, 11:15 AM

There are some studies and it makes sense - and can’t hurt.
But there are no studies regarding normal breathing or conversation. And common senses says a cloth mask with holes 100
Times larger than the virus probably doesn’t do much good.

Re: Agree about coughing

Jul 13, 2020, 11:32 AM

That is why I would never trust a single layer cloth mask. A lower thread count accounts for a lower cost in making cloth products. A higher thread count increases the cost, but it makes a better product, and that is what I've always went by when buying towels, sheets and pillow cases. The higher the thread count, the better. But they don't list the thread count with cloth mask, and that's why I would never trust a single layer cloth mask.

For whatever the reason I've always liked the smell of medical purpose/rubbing alcohol, and 99% of the time before I put my mask on, I will give them a light misting of alcohol before I use the mask. It may not help it's effectiveness at all, but, it may....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Agree about coughing ]

There is this thing that can help find research. It's our job to filter through it

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/best-materials-for-covid19-face-masks

A new study, published today in the scientific journal Physics of Fluids from AIP Publishing, sheds new light on how the materials and construction of a face mask can impact its effectiveness.

“All of the major health agencies have now issued recommendations for the general public to use some sort of face covering, but there are no clear guidelines on the types of material or designs that should be used,” explained Siddhartha Verma, PhD, the study’s lead author who also serves as assistant professor in the department of ocean and mechanical engineering at Florida Atlantic University’s College of Engineering and Computer Science.

“While there are a few prior studies on the effectiveness of medical-grade equipment, we don’t have a lot of information about the cloth-based coverings that are most accessible to us at present, given the need to reserve medical-grade supplies for healthcare workers,” Verma told Healthline.

Mask usage 101
Dr. Teresa Amato, director of geriatric emergency medicine at Northwell Health, told Healthline that even as experts scramble to understand a pandemic that was virtually unheard of 6 months ago, mask wearing is a no-brainer in terms of decreasing transmission.

“It’s especially true with the more people you have wearing a mask,” she explained. “If you are infected and you wear a mask, you will decrease the likelihood of transmission. You’re wearing it to protect the people around you and you’re also wearing it to protect yourself from getting it. It’s really important to emphasize that more people wearing masks will decrease transmission overall.”

When it comes to specific masks, they can range from a simple folded bandana to hand-sewn cloth masks to N95 respirator masks.

While N95 masks provide a high level of protection, they aren’t a realistic option for most people, as they should be earmarked for frontline workers. Amato also points out that they aren’t exactly a one-size-fits-all option.

“N95 masks need to be fitted, and the wearer needs to be fit-tested to make sure that it’s on there appropriately,” she said. “Otherwise, wearing one is actually not very useful. So we’re not talking about the N95, we’re talking about either surgical masks or cloth masks.”

Verma and his team sought to find out which non-N95 masks would be most effective.

He said that the simplest masks — either a bandana or handkerchief — were virtually ineffective.

“I was a bit surprised to see how much leakage could occur through the bandanas and folded handkerchief masks we tested, even through multiple folds of the cotton fabric,” he said.

Ultimately, Verma and his colleagues determined that the most effective homemade masks were those that were well-fitted with multiple layers of quilting fabric.

Cone-style masks also worked well.

“Quilting cotton, with two layers stitched together, turned out to be the best in terms of stopping capability,” said Verma. “For minimizing the chances of transmission, it is important to use masks made of good quality tightly woven fabric, as well as mask designs that provide a good seal along the edges without being uncomfortable.”

Amato says another useful mask option, for those who can obtain them, are simple surgical masks.

“In the beginning, we were kind of holding onto those for healthcare workers, but now we have a good supply of them,” she said. “They’re probably the most comfortable to wear. They’re very lightweight and they afford good protection.”

Jul 13, 2020, 12:36 PM

I surely won't try and disagree with their report. Cloth mask, it's a must for me that they are double layered, and they should have the nose bar to help with the tightness around the nose area. If you are a prescription eyeglass wearer, and they fog up with your mask on, maybe you should customize it without deforming it. I know that with my Clemson scheme mask, I had to add the nose bar to stop the leaks around the nose. What I done was, i took the nose bar off of cheap dust mask, and I attached them to the cloth mask without damaging the mask, and it works really great!!!

Here's the article

Jul 13, 2020, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree about coughing ]

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/5.0016018

It looks like the publisher has all virus-related articles available without an account or subscription.

Re: Agree to an extent but the vast majority of information shared about Covid has been

Jul 14, 2020, 5:05 AM [ in reply to Agree to an extent but the vast majority of information shared about Covid has been ]

You actually need a study to prove that wearing a mask protects others more than not weating a mask?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should you listen to Chuck Woolery or Dr. Fauci?

Jul 13, 2020, 10:40 AM

Only one has hosted a successful game show.

The gaslighting of Trumpkins continues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing is “proven true”

Jul 13, 2020, 10:43 AM

Gravity is still technically a theory

Newton was wrong until Einstein

Jul 13, 2020, 1:22 PM

Someone will fix the current problems with gravititional theory, namely, singularity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Show me a scientific study “proving” something is true...

Jul 13, 2020, 10:53 AM

One of my old research cohorts used to say, "if I can make enough assumptions, I don't have to do the research". It appears to me a lot of so-called researchers have adopted this principle.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have your accountant or plumber perform your next medical

Jul 13, 2020, 11:12 AM

procedure.

The scientific method taught in HS outlines the very basic methodology used to advance science including medicine. Individuals with advance degrees have experience with interpretation of research articles and papers in their respective fields. When the science is new, there are some conflicts and uncertainty in technical data, results and interpretations. It seems in the last 50 years that significant advancements have been made in the science, technology and medical fields.

There was a time when Americans understood and embraced the scientific process. Now our skepticism and in some cases outright “hostility to expertise” may lead to other countries surpassing the United States in R&D and new technology. Everyone should read and critically review the science, but at the same time respect the credentialed experts. The women and men who taught us at Clemson and other acclaimed Universities are part of America’s scientific expertise. Count me as one who respects what those folks say.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Science is only as good as the accuracy of the data it is based upon.

Jul 13, 2020, 11:42 AM

And of course, the knowledge and impartiality of those conducting the research.

The problem with COVID is that it’s really new. A lot of the data being collected, especially early on, was based on limited and/or inaccurate information. Scientists and government authorities were forced to make decisions and recommendations based on this information. They did they best they could given these limitations.

It’s too bad that many people are looking to blame these recommendations for being “wrong” or assume that a huge conspiracy is occurring.

Science still works. And we have enough with COVID at this point to know that masks work, social distancing works, and hygiene is still very important.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Science is as believable

Jul 13, 2020, 12:14 PM

As any religion. Perhaps more so!

Re: Science is as believable

Jul 13, 2020, 1:01 PM

And without Science and testing, every person that was sent out of earth's gravitational pull, they would have all turn to ashes before they re-entered earth's atmosphere!!! Science is series of testing until you get the answers or results that you were searching for. Without Science, the sling shot would have never worked, and we can agree or disagree, but you can't argue with facts that was acquired through Scientific testing and retesting until desire was accomplished, Science works most of the time!!!

Re: Science is as believable

Jul 13, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Science is as believable ]

As the OP said, science by definition is reliable. But the scientists who interpret it are not.

That makes it no more reliable than the religions that suffer from the same flaw.

Meanwhile, science cannot even address the aspects of life that fall under religion's purview.

So I conclude that a healthy belief in both is essential, aided by a healthy skepticism toward people that eschew one or the other. In short, I think the problems lie in the practitioners.

Why does that belief make me the stupid one?

Well some of them did the best they could

Jul 14, 2020, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Science is only as good as the accuracy of the data it is based upon. ]

Others could've done a lot better.

Jul 13, 2020, 12:40 PM

those 2 studies disproving gravity are a couple of my favorites.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im sure flat earthers and religeous scholars

Jul 13, 2020, 1:26 PM

have studies disproving Einsreins theory

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2020, 1:05 PM

This one gave me a chuckle...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 13, 2020, 2:14 PM

Ok, go

The Effect of Travel Time Information, Reliability, and Level of Service on Driver Behavior Using a Driving Simulator

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050917309493

...and then the road construction w/no signs detour...***

Jul 14, 2020, 9:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic