Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New women basketball coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New women basketball coach?

Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 PM

Who will be the next women's basketball coach?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm gonna go ahead and guess Who Cares?***

Feb 19, 2013, 11:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I care. I want all Clemson programs to be successful.***

Feb 20, 2013, 8:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would be surprised

Feb 20, 2013, 9:42 AM [ in reply to I'm gonna go ahead and guess Who Cares?*** ]

Women's basketball isn't exactly a power sport, but I think the Clemson community in general wants them to succeed and excel. I'd certainly like to have a team that can knock off UNC and Duke with regularity, and just in general be a team that we can all be proud of.

an assisstant from Weber State***

Feb 20, 2013, 12:06 AM

It's sad to see one of our athletic programs that was very..

Feb 20, 2013, 1:44 AM

consistent in producing good teams under Jim Davis, to become this terrible after his forced retirement by TDP and President Barker. There have been several sports that we used to be good where pretty much no good at now. Another one of President Barker's many failing. It would make President Barker plenty of happy if Clemson didn't have an athletic's program at al.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I gave you a thumbs up

Feb 20, 2013, 2:24 AM

Primarily because the sheep on here will likely blast you because of the truth you spoke.

The question we all should ask is what part of our athletic program is better off now compared to when Barker and/or TDP took over? I got football and Golf. Anything else?

Re: I gave you a thumbs up

Feb 20, 2013, 8:19 AM

Easy to make post such as that and hide behind a user name. Bet neither of you have ever been really involved with Clemson sports. I know you were never students.

Re: It's sad to see one of our athletic programs that was very..

Feb 20, 2013, 8:30 AM [ in reply to It's sad to see one of our athletic programs that was very.. ]

GREAT POST!! also absolutely true!! very sad but true!and the GUTLESS BOT does nothing about this problem!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The issues with the women's basketball team aren't because

Feb 20, 2013, 8:00 AM

of the current head coach. I assure you the major issues were inherited. I think we still need to give Coleman more time as the program was a complete train wreck when she came in. It hasn't improved as of yet, but I still think one of Coach Davis' best deserves the shot to rebuild it.

You have to know she is doing many of the same things that Coach Davis did. I just hope we see improvement next year so that people will give her more time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The issues with the women's basketball team aren't because

Feb 20, 2013, 8:28 AM

Here's my problem with your post.

While you are likely correct and I certainly appreciate your post (to a degree), there is NO information to support your position. There seems to be some thought by "Clemson Insiders" that we fans can't handle the truth or don't deserve to know "the truth" or the inside story or whatever.

We fans are the ones that support the program financially, attend the games, live and breath our Tigers. Yet, we never get any meat with the vegetables.

I realize some things are "confidential" but it seems like there are more things that fall into this category than not. It gets old and frustrating quite honestly as I'm 51, have my own small business and can probably deal with some of the unsavory issues better than the insiders obviously think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Respectfully...I completely disagree with your assessment.

Feb 20, 2013, 9:14 AM [ in reply to The issues with the women's basketball team aren't because ]

Hiring Coleman, who was completely unqualified to be a head coach, was an even bigger lapse in judgment than hiring Christy McKinney.

Holly Warlick wanted the job when McKinney was hired and it was a monumental mistake not to hire her.

Of course, when Pat Summit's health issues surfaced, it is likely that Tennessee would have hired her way from Clemson but the program would likely have been in much better shape than it currently is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The issues with the women's basketball team aren't because

Feb 20, 2013, 9:25 AM [ in reply to The issues with the women's basketball team aren't because ]

Why did her recuiting class leave? She had a great class and not even half way thru the season they left. What in the world happened

I'll try to answer all three of you as best I can with this

Feb 20, 2013, 9:37 AM

one post.

I'd imagine like most of you, that you would run a team the same way or similarly to how your coach ran the team. This is where I have to believe that Coleman will get things turned around. She was in and around Coach Davis and I'd imagine based on his knowledge of her as a leader and coach on the court that he would support her hiring.

As for being "green" or perhaps hired too early in her career, the argument could be made. But the program was at an all time low when she took over. She is an ace recruiter and I still think its too early to judge. No doubt losing the top two players is a huge question mark.

Were there better hires that could have been made? Yes. Was there anyone out there who would be as invested in Clemson? I don't think so. I'm not advocating for ten more years, but she deserves a legitimate time frame to fix the issues.

I'll admit that I am not satisfied with the progress yet, but I also think she can recruit, knows how Jim Davs built his program, and is as disappointed at the slow progress as everyone else.

Any errors should be blamed on my iPhone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll try to answer all three of you as best I can with this

Feb 20, 2013, 9:58 AM

You didn't answer the first question

Why did the players leave?

Armsb there are a lot of things to the transfers. Each is

Feb 20, 2013, 2:22 PM

it's own individual case. I do know that they transfers had nothing to do with a belief that the program wasn't headed in the right direction. When the time is right I'll be glad to tell you what I've gathered, but until then we will just have to wait.

I wouldn't count out Coach Coleman's ability to put a good team together. Like I said before with more time, I think she can get this program back to what we all expect.

The program was already in a downward spiral...

Feb 20, 2013, 10:03 AM [ in reply to I'll try to answer all three of you as best I can with this ]

which was exacerbated by the decision to hire another "project" coach with only a marginal (at best) coaching resume.

If you are going to roll the dice on a project type coach, at least hire someone with a solid resume; Kevin Pederson as an example who is currently the head womens coach at Lander University.

Many may remember Pederson worked five seasons for the Clemson men's basketball program under Rick Barnes and Larry Shyatt before becoming the head womens coach at Anderson College.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The program was already in a downward spiral...

Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 AM

I remember him he had Anderson rolling. Why did he leave Anderson I don't remember

He left Anderson for Lander

Feb 20, 2013, 12:37 PM

Lander is a better job and pays a higher salary.

would be a good hire***

Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 AM [ in reply to The program was already in a downward spiral... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

another woman***

Feb 20, 2013, 10:44 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Ill do it! Womens hoops will make money too, I guarantee it

Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 AM

Im only going to recruit hot girls. Who cares if they are terrible at basketball. We wouldnt get any worse and the crowds would be huge!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic