Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The Journey Comes Full Circle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

New Story: The Journey Comes Full Circle

Jan 21, 2017, 8:01 AM

The Journey Comes Full Circle

Now that the dust has settled and we’ve all gotten a chance to sit back and reflect on the events of this season, I wanted to take one more opportunity and write about the Tigers’ incredible National Championship run from a slightly different perspective. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That GTech game was rough...

Jan 21, 2017, 8:08 AM

Spiller played his guts out and it seemed like GTech converted about 20 third downs. Clemson couldn't stop them on 3rd down all night.

Re: That GTech game was rough...

Jan 21, 2017, 8:19 AM

Yep, and remember that in the game earlier in the season in Atlanta, we'd forced something like 10 CONSECUTIVE 3-and-outs on that offense. Just one in the title game would have been enough. So frustrating.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Five years since that Orange Bowl vs. WVU

Jan 21, 2017, 8:17 AM

Great article, David.

I love the detail that after the terrible Orange Bowl loss to West Virginia Dabo said that everything was falling into place for a sustained run of excellence. When the final whistle blew in that 70-33 beat down, many in the national media laughed at us, and more than a few Tiger fans wondered if we were headed down. Dabo knew better.

In the five years since that Orange Bowl, Clemson has played seven post-season games.

In EACH of those games, the coach on the opposite sideline had a national championship on his resume. (And in four of the seven, it was MULTIPLE national championships on the resume.)

Clemson is 6-1 in those games.

Clemson had more total yards in all seven games, and more first downs in six. (In the one loss, it was 87 more yards and a whopping 13 more first downs. If you wanted to say anything was fluky about this streak, you'd have to say it was the loss!)

One BCS bowl win, one national runner-up finish, one national title. The only shutout of Urban Meyer's career (and 2 of his 3 career bowl losses). The only loss in a national championship game for Nick Saban.

Wow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Had a WV clown in July comment about Clemson...

Jan 21, 2017, 8:31 AM

In a parking lot in Pinehurst he saw my Clemson hat and joked about the 70-33 orange bowl. I'd love to see him again.

Re: Had a WV clown in July comment about Clemson...

Jan 21, 2017, 9:35 AM

Tell him that we've won about 70 games in the last 6 years , and they've won about 33 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 21, 2017, 10:16 AM

> Tell him that we've won about 70 games in the last 6
> years , and they've won about 33 .

Jan 21, 2017, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Had a WV clown in July comment about Clemson... ]

Now that's a SWEET response! Definitely will keep that one under my hat.

Jan 21, 2017, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Had a WV clown in July comment about Clemson... ]

Frankly I would love to schedule W. Va. to beat their record against us! A Death Valley night game would be epic with our talent forthcoming.

Go Tigers!

Jan 21, 2017, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Had a WV clown in July comment about Clemson... ]

You should have should his hand and thanked him. That beat down prompted the firing of a very bad DC and in return we traded up for the best DC in the nation. Had we won that game, we may not be where we are today.

i often talk to my students about the Orange Bowl loss and

Jan 21, 2017, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Five years since that Orange Bowl vs. WVU ]

how that defeat helped Clemson be where they are today. I use it as an example of how they can learn from their mistakes and while there may be set backs along the way, if you keep working at it and making progress, you will ultimately climb the mountain.

Believe

Jan 21, 2017, 9:25 AM

4th and 16. I still believe that was one of the biggest moments for this generation of Tiger football. Fail to convert and lose to LSU and who knows where we would have gone from there. That play epitomizes the belief that "anything is possible" Dabo has brought back to this program (We had it in 1981, I was there and felt it then too). The same belief that got us through the fourth quarter in the National Championship and a big part of this year. I, for one, can't wait to see where it takes us next. I believe those out there that are predicting a drop off in this program are in for a big surprise!

Re: Five years since that Orange Bowl vs. WVU

Jan 21, 2017, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Five years since that Orange Bowl vs. WVU ]

I remember it like it was yesterday when Dabo said they better beat us now bc Clemson had all the pieses to make a NC run with. That was the last time we lost to the coots. But I think we should have beat the coots the previous year, maybe the two previous years. The out siders laughed and accused Dabo of just talking big trying to save his job. IMO, I don't think that Dabon was ever close to losing his job. And now it pleases me to ask, what are those nay sayers saying now. They are saying the refs cheated Bama bc Dabo has prove to them all that he has become one of the best college coaches in college FB. And he become a NC winner In his first 8 years of ever being a hc ever. In Dabo I've trusted!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story.

Jan 21, 2017, 9:15 AM

Agree. Suffering through the lows makes the highs that much sweeter.

Thanks again David - always excellent perspective!

Jan 21, 2017, 10:57 AM

Much appreciate your eyes and ears on the ground and your circumspect reporting!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The Journey Comes Full Circle

Jan 21, 2017, 2:47 PM

What an awesome job and story Mr. Hood. Need an assistance. Work for miminium wages. I'll put in for my retirement this week. I was there in Tampa in '09 yelling and cheering from beginning to the last second on the clock and fault back tears once that final second in that National Championship game as well as that heart felt speech by Ben Boulware of not forgetting Tigers Troopers and Trailblazers of past that laid the foundations for the type of success we're having today.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic