Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney explains small recruiting class: Tigers don't run players off
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney explains small recruiting class: Tigers don't run players off

Feb 1, 2017, 6:33 PM

Swinney explains small recruiting class: Tigers don't run players off

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney has an easy answer for fans who wonder how the Tigers’ annual recruiting classes are a smaller size than those of their rivals: Clemson doesn’t run players off, players don’t want to leave the program and Swinney doesn’t believe in over-signing and only recruits for the number of scholarships available. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^This needs to be a sticky at the top of the page for people

Feb 1, 2017, 6:56 PM

who can't wrap their heads around why small recruiting classes are a great thing, or grumble because we don't have huge recruiting classes.

Dabo and his staff are simply doing a tremendous job of creating an outstanding football culture at Clemson, selling recruits on the uniqueness that has always been Clemson, and then recruiting athletes that are good fits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good luck on getting that across.***

Feb 1, 2017, 8:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good luck on getting that across.***

Feb 1, 2017, 10:39 PM

Yeah, some people just don't get it.

Question

Feb 1, 2017, 6:56 PM

I thought players leaving affected your academic progress numbers. How do schools run players off without being affected?

Re: Question

Feb 1, 2017, 6:58 PM

#SECMATH

It is affected and they don't care

Feb 2, 2017, 2:48 AM [ in reply to Question ]

winning is the most important thing. We have managed to win and make sure they graduate and stay. It's a first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

. Good question

Feb 2, 2017, 7:39 AM

How do some schools have guys playing who read at the third grade level, make A's in classes that don't exist, receive degrees in 'underwater basket weaving', and avoid the NCAA?

Bottom line. Dabo and CLEMSON are the best. They show it on the field and off. I'm proud to wear this ring with the Palmetto!

Keep On, Keeping On !!!!

Feb 1, 2017, 6:59 PM

I like what you are doing,coach & I really like ""Winning Championships"" !!!!! Go Tigers !!!!

Re: New Story: Swinney explains small recruiting class: Tigers don't run players off

Feb 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

I look at it like this. I would rather be top 20 in February, and Top five in January, rather than the other way around. One matters, one is just a part of it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't run players off because our.....

Feb 1, 2017, 7:05 PM

...2nd, 3rd and scout team has more 4 stars than the entire SEC Least. This is our region and we need to maintain our exemplary standard.

Re: New Story: Swinney explains small recruiting class: Tigers don't run players off

Feb 1, 2017, 7:07 PM

:)

Dear parents of elite recruits.....

Feb 1, 2017, 7:11 PM

Are you listening???

THIS is why your son would have the privilege to play here!!!

Take notes!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 7:14 PM

Think of it this way would rather have 71 experienced, hame ready, upper classmen and 14 unproven true freshmen; or 60 experienced players and 25 unproven true freshmen. Delevoping and keeping players in your program is good thing. The hardware in our trophy case is proof that it works.

Feb 1, 2017, 7:22 PM

That Is Right...Our Staff Knows How to recruit the Student Athlete and Knows How to Coach and Teach these Young Men the right way.

Thank You Coach Swinney and To The Staff for Making Clemson a Great University

GO TIGERS!!!

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Feb 1, 2017, 7:36 PM

But can you win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP doing that? ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I love Dabo and don't want anybody else***

Feb 1, 2017, 7:40 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: This is why I love Dabo and don't want anybody else***

Feb 1, 2017, 7:44 PM

It's all about the quality, not quantity. All these class rankings totally miss that.
This class is very deep regarding the quality, stacks up against anybodys.

Re: So Johnson is Good Wood, Is that what he's saying?

Feb 1, 2017, 7:42 PM

LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Johnson is Good Wood, Is that what he's saying?

Feb 1, 2017, 9:23 PM

??^^. + 1 4 u

we have a really special coach******

Feb 1, 2017, 7:45 PM

Feb 1, 2017, 8:19 PM

Outside of people who keep up with recruiting and depth chart, who knew who: Kevin Dodd, Carlos Watkins, Marcus Edmond, Grady Jarrett, Ryan Carter, Jadar Johnson, Jordan Leggett, Hunter Renfrow, etc. were?
Point being: " the way this coaching staff has continued to re-load with the kids they have in the program speaks volumes to how they assess players"! Ever notice even kids in our region who are 5 stars won't have a CU offer? Why? Probably b/c they would not fit in to one of the cornerstones of the program.
Boise State when Pederson was there was lucky to sign 1 or 2 4 star players each class. The vast majority was 3 star players and walk ons. But, they were nearly unstoppable on the field. These guys worked harder. Took a year to red shirt and work on their bodies. All the while adjusting to the college game while not losing eligibility! Sure sounds better than sitting for 3 years then hoping some hot shot does not come in and b/c of mostly hype starts over you like some places. At CU if you have been in the program and " earned your keep players get an opportunity to hit the field and make plays"! No politics or pressure from outside sources. Because of the coaching staff's outstanding evaluation process I believe the small class won't matter!
And, remember if the Tigers keep the recent history of having players emerge out of " seemingly nowhere " you will likely have early departures. Which for you volume people, would mean more space to sign a bigger class! Though not necessarily needed!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 8:26 PM

I do have one question about Dabo's statements. For the 2018 class he says he only have 10 spots available today. It could be more, but that will not be known until we get closer to end of next season. So far 5 recruits have committed, but many other top players have not. What if 7-10 of them accepted tomorrow. Would you move forward assuming 2-5 scholarships would open up OR would you have to have a different conversation with a few of them.

Wow, just wow, on the 8/103, 4/8, 2/4 comment...

Feb 1, 2017, 8:28 PM

That is an absolutely amazing stat and an absolute credit to Dabo, our staff, and those four individuals. Not only did two of those graduate in 3 years, but two of the four will also be drafted in the first round. ONE of the four graduated in 3 years AND will be drafted in the first round. That one should have won the Heisman too, but will forever be connected to an even better trophy. Thanks to all 4 of these awesome players.

On another note - does anybody happen to know who the other 4 juniors that have degrees (from different schools) are?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, just wow, on the 8/103, 4/8, 2/4 comment...

Feb 1, 2017, 11:18 PM

Underclassmen who already graduated:
1 Alex Anzalone LB Florida
2 Gareon Conley DB Ohio State
3 Wayne Gallman RB Clemson
4 Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
5 Artavis Scott WR Clemson
6 Khari Waithe-Alexander DE Southern Illinois
7 Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
8 Mike Williams WR Clemson

Source:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-here-are-the-103-underclassmen-headed-to-the-nfl/

That's a Msg/Coach/Program/School/ every Mom wishes 4 a son!

Feb 1, 2017, 9:09 PM

null

Message was edited by: JJTiger79®

Feb 1, 2017, 9:59 PM

Why do we have intro graphs when the direct quote says everything? I mean dang. Here's a hint. Paraphrase the first part of the quote, make it your own words. Then, forget that part!!! Move on with the rest of the quote as a direct quote. ####, it's not that difficult. "Have you ever written anything....?" Past 30 years. This is just 5th grade work. Gracious.

Feb 1, 2017, 10:00 PM

Holy cow. Dabo is good. TDP is a genius.

Swinney and staff commit to players

Feb 1, 2017, 10:22 PM

That is the difference, it is not just a business, it is a family.

I remember Jake Nicolopulos from Hanna HS. Dabo maintained the commitment to him even when he was unable to play.

Good wood will burn once it's lit.

Feb 1, 2017, 10:35 PM

This makes me chuckle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet another reason to love Dabo Swinney!

Feb 1, 2017, 10:41 PM

Our feathered friends have been notorious for running off players once they get on campus and don't pan out like they thought they would.

My favorite quote from a day of great ones!***

Feb 1, 2017, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Good wood will burn once it's lit. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good wood will burn once it's lit.

Feb 2, 2017, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Good wood will burn once it's lit. ]

Even better... it cast off a LOT of heat too!

Dang. That's legit. And walkin the walk.

Feb 1, 2017, 11:16 PM

WWDD?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lotsa reasons to love dabo, but here's today's:

Feb 2, 2017, 1:04 AM

"103 juniors have come out early for the draft and only eight of the 103 have a degree and four of the eight are from Clemson"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Feb 2, 2017, 2:40 AM

Alabama comes to mind in the 25 a year recruit classes they get every year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have 5 Junior Colleges in the University of Alabama system that they can send recruits to until or if they need them. They play JC football or on Scout teams. Some may never see the field at the main campus. This came from Alabama grad that played at UAB and never made it to Saban's first string. GO TIGERS!!!

Feb 2, 2017, 9:32 AM

I think a large part of this is our coaches getting the most out of the players they sign. Obviously there will always be a few guys who end up not working out, but for the most part over the last few years it seems rare that we have players who would identify as busts.

Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 AM

This also further shows the great character of Dabo. It's one thing to do things like this and not over sign players when you aren't winning much, and those extra players you aren't taking are probably rated 3 stars or less. It's another thing to have arrived as an elite program and keeping that line of thinking when you very well could have run off a backup upperclassman in favor of another 4 star or higher player.

5 year scholarships is like putting your team on probation

Feb 2, 2017, 7:50 PM

I see no reason to keep players for 5 years on scholly if they are not the sure starter. Red shirting also limits competition and favors seniority system.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic