Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Shaq Lawson to submit NFL Draft paperwork?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,259

New Story: Shaq Lawson to submit NFL Draft paperwork?

Dec 17, 2014, 6:17 PM

Shaq Lawson to submit NFL Draft paperwork?

Sophomore defensive end Shaq Lawson will be eligible for the NFL Draft following the conclusion of this season, and he was asked Wednesday if he has thought about submitting his draft paperwork. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaq Lawson is a future 1st rounder if he stays put.***

Dec 17, 2014, 6:24 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shaq Lawson is a future 1st rounder if he stays put.***

Dec 17, 2014, 7:48 PM

Big mistake if he tries the NFL at this point. He definitely needs another year or two
at the college level.

Advice From Slumcock

Dec 17, 2014, 8:53 PM

Shaq appreciates the advice girlie. 35-17. 66 wins and counting

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: New Story: Shaq Lawson to submit NFL Draft paperwork?

Dec 17, 2014, 6:34 PM

Reading his comments it seems like he is ready to give it his all and see what that gets him. I hope so. If he has a huge year, he just may get to that 1st round, and that is worth a lot more $$$ for him and his family, and his degree is something he has set as a goal. I say he stays, and he will be the better man for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2014, 10:37 PM

From watching his play this season; if Lawson returns for another season, he'll definitely will be or have the opportunity to be the face of Clemson's defense. From a NFL phrase, The Franchise Player for this team defense.
Sure to be a First Rounder if he stays.

Dec 18, 2014, 8:20 AM

My thoughts too. If he goes now, he gets lost in the shuffle. Did you see the All America Team list. Lots of stellar DE's this year that have better stats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be best for him to come back and get

Dec 17, 2014, 6:52 PM

His degree. Education comes first, football second. You have to play it safe and go ahead and get your degree in case a career ending injury happens. If he decides to leave I will support him I would hate to see something happen to him and regret not getting his degree. A Clemson degree is worth alot more than any amount of money he would make in the NFL. He has been a outstanding player for us but I couldn't see him getting drafted any higher than the 4th round right now. If he chooses to come back, he could work his way into a first round pick. Come back and get your degree Shaq! You will not regret it!

Re: It would be best for him to come back and get

Dec 17, 2014, 7:29 PM

I have a Clemson degree. Don't get me wrong, I am very very proud of that piece of paper. But I'm not making anything even close to resembling NFL money.

Dec 18, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to It would be best for him to come back and get ]

"A Clemson degree is worth more than any amount of NFL money" -- that is the furthest thing from the truth !!! Clemson is NOT an Ivy-League school on any accounts. In fact, it's not even the best academic school in the ACC -- Duke, GaTech, and Virginia are the only elite academic institutions in the ACC followed by UNC and Wake. So Lawson should turn pro now.

Dec 19, 2014, 2:25 AM

> "A Clemson degree is worth more than any amount of
> NFL money" -- that is the furthest thing from the
> truth !!! Clemson is NOT an Ivy-League school on any
> accounts. In fact, it's not even the best academic
> school in the ACC -- Duke, GaTech, and Virginia are
> the only elite academic institutions in the ACC
> followed by UNC and Wake. So Lawson should turn pro
> now.

True. Almost forgot about UNC athletes literally not having to ANY school work throughout the entirety of their collegiate career for like the last 20 years.

Clemson is a top 25 university in terms of academics, and unlike usc jr (& the 6 decommit hit "herd" round the world), our guys are actually held accountable for their schoolwork. See M. Bryant vs. LSU, peach bowl. Had to watch the game from home bc of grades.

Zero percent chance that Clowney would ever be kept ftom playing in a bowl game for the same reasoning... which would've never happened anyways since he made "honor roll" at usc jr.

Life lessons. He learned a bunch about discipline and accountability, work ethic, how not to use roids to pack on 30 lbs of muscle in a year, etc... while under spurrier.

Herd steroids actually put you at greater risk of the types of injuries the clown constantly suffered from, too. Probz just a coincidence though, I'm sure.

Dec 17, 2014, 6:58 PM

That would be the biggest mistake of his life. These kids just don't realize that $300-$500k isn't that much money.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2014, 7:09 PM

Nothing abnormal for these kids to test their worth . It is SOP , and I have no doubt that Shaq wants to stay a Tiger through 2015.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That's easy to say where you are sitting

Dec 17, 2014, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Shaq Lawson to submit NFL Draft paperwork? ]

Like the article said his situation is a major factor. Your statement about them not realizing $300-500k isn't much is patronizing and untrue.

We will support him either way.

Dec 17, 2014, 7:32 PM

I would love to see that PAW on his helmet another year, but if his family needs him to make a sacrifice, it is what it is and we will support him!

Re: We will support him either way.

Dec 18, 2014, 1:02 AM

I am all for these dudes makin their money and was very happy to see Martavis have a fantastic rookie season. In that same breath it is hard to imagine, even in a weaker draft for D lineman, that Shaq would have a team take a shot on him simply because he doesn't have the production (aka playin time). He could be a big time pick if he comes out and headlines a defense that will possibly be overlooked due to loss of our awesome seniors. This just makes me think of Jamie Harper and what one more year of being a real deal starter could have done for him. Either way I belive in him and hope nothing but the best for him! Ebo is gonna be next in line with Shaq to the NFL if they can stay focused, GO TIGERS!!!

Re: We will support him either way.

Dec 18, 2014, 10:37 AM

He's just submitting paperwork.... Not committing to the draft. He's just getting his grade. I would probably do the same if I were him. Think about how motivating that would be to see that people think you are a 5th rounder or worse.

Just to play devils advocate, IF TB would've left a yr earlier, he would've been in a better spot. Harper is the other extreme... You just have to make your decision and live with the cards that are dealt from there.

Dec 17, 2014, 7:33 PM

I personally thought Lawson should have been starting opposite Beasley this season, but that's just one man's opinion. He could have a really big year if he comes back, and then he could possibly earn himself a nice fat contract instead of the minimum. Plus, I just want to see what he's capable of as a full-time starter. But he's a grown man. It's his decision to make.

Dec 17, 2014, 8:16 PM

Education and family issues aside, from a strict business perspective, it makes a lot more sense to come back and improve his stock. He does have first or second round talent but there's no way he goes any sooner than the fourth round this year. That means he's fighting for a roster spot making $500k in a league where a five year career is considered successful.

And 500k is 250k after taxes and agent commission. After you buy mama and yourself a house, that's two years salary. That's not to mention the NFL lifestyle and the family members coming out of the woodwork asking for help. Most important, you have to consider the medical issues that will arise from years of football.

It would be much wiser to come back for a year, get drafted in a higher spot, get a contract that's closer to 3-4 years with 5 million guaranteed. Plus, when a team picks you in a higher spot, they'll invest more resources into making sure you're successful. That leads to a higher likelihood of a second contract with much better money. Stay in school Shaq.

Dec 18, 2014, 6:54 PM

Hope he stays with Clemson. We need him.

Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 AM

Shaq,Ebo,and Pagano can be the next anchors and faces to try and maintain a top rated defense for Clemson. These guys have the tools to set the stage for a great defense for next year.

Dec 19, 2014, 1:13 AM

Don't forget DJ Reader Carlos Watkins. I could see those two and Pagano being a lot like the trio of Grady Jarrett Josh Watson and Deshaun Williams. Interesting thing to watch over offseason will be which young DE will step up and take that spot opposite Shaq Lawson. Could be Ebo, Dodd, Yeargin, Huggins. Who knows but that's quite the pond to fish from.

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,259
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic