Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Recruiting weekend wrap: Clemson moving closer with 5-star safety?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

New Story: Recruiting weekend wrap: Clemson moving closer with 5-star safety?

Jan 22, 2018, 7:01 AM

Recruiting weekend wrap: Clemson moving closer with 5-star safety?

There were smiles all around as the Clemson coaching staff hosted a solid roster of juniors and seniors this past weekend. What 5-star had a good time, and what players wound up with offers? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson

Jan 22, 2018, 7:09 AM

on Saturday but had "car trouble" so he ended up visiting Georgia on Sunday. Right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson

Jan 22, 2018, 7:18 AM

Uber doesn't cross state lines. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

Kirby Smart.

It’s that simple...holds offers over kids head when they want to visit other schools. This is pure truth and fact...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 22, 2018, 3:54 PM

Say again??

Jan 22, 2018, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

So does Dabo...either in or out. If you visit another school Dabo does not consider you committed to Clemson.

Jan 23, 2018, 8:18 AM

I don't recall hearing that he was committed to either uga or Clemson. It is one thing to do that for a committed player something completely different to do it to a 5-star guy who seemingly is not committed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

Shame. Thank god we don't do that kind of stuff. We have decent coaches who are above that kind of garbage. And, I really don't that we need players who would be involved in that kind of stuff. We will win the right way. The player's loss.

Just know this, Smart doesn't want a recruit/commit anywhere

Jan 22, 2018, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

near Clemson or Dabo...it terrifies him

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

sounds familiar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

Who is he?

Jan 22, 2018, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Let me guess. Owen Pappoe was supposed to visit Clemson ]

Very probable that the "car trouble" now is over. If things run true to ugay's history, there is a new vehicle in the driveway of his parent's new home. It is parked beside their new car, and his sister/brother, also miraculously will become members of non existent track teams, or some other new program, to be announced soon. They have a rich history in Athens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't

Jan 22, 2018, 7:21 AM

pass the smell test. The angle they are pushing that Clemson led by a mile and half just doesn't make sense. I really hope there is a debriefing between Coach BB and D-Rad to get to the truth of what happened because they are publicly making it seem like we somehow dropped the ball. I doubt that was the case and it's pathetic for them to try and say we lost a huge lead that may never have existed. All the hype over the announcement and the way it went down seems like Clemson was just a pawn to be used to generate added excitement to the announcement. Something stinks here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't

Jan 22, 2018, 7:42 AM

Careful now! By expressing your disappointment and airing these sorts of concerns, you’re just going to be seen another ‘sad, grown man’...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 22, 2018, 8:40 AM

listen to Mickey this morning...one caller put it into perspective for our fanbase. Said he was over Zion Saturday night but still has heartburn over Mike McIntosh. If this had been KJ Henry a few weeks ago choosing Bama on signing day, this board would have gone ape crazy. Its obvious the family / Zion used Clemson to drum up excitement for his "shock the world" announcement. Otherwise why feel the need to put out that Clemson lost a mile and half lead?

Jan 22, 2018, 10:12 AM

exactly he did not pick Clemson THEREFORE I could care less about Zion or his future basketball endeavors.....and NO I do not wish him the best at Dook University.....Go Tigers!!!!

Jan 22, 2018, 10:25 AM

^^Amen to that!!!

Jan 22, 2018, 10:40 AM

I'll double the amens. I keep asking how it can be that the top 3 recruits can all meet the academic requirements to get into Dook? Are there different standards for athletes?

Jan 22, 2018, 4:17 PM

Uh duh! You just catching on? Do you really imagine that they will actually have to attend classes? Duke is a basketball factory, with huge revenues coming in from Basketball. There were academic scandals regarding Duke several years back. Hasn't been that long ago that UNC was regarded as an academic powerhouse. How well did that work out. Don't be mesmerized by the name "Duke." Just because they are expensive, doesn't mean that they are lily white. Clemson has a cleaner athletic program.

Jan 22, 2018, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

YES! Always has been the case at Dook.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Here Here!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

What? I really don't think I made the post to which you are referring. I mean, I'll own my own stuff, but not someone else's. Probably a miscommunication. No harm, no foul.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Understand. I'm disappointed, but also realize that this is a football school, and we can command top FB recruits. We can't do that in BB. We can't successfully recruit against these elite teams like Duke. Especially when we continue to lose to (choke? against UNC, however mediocre they are.) The solution? I only have a suggestion: Recruit internationally, like Ibrahim did in soccer. We won what, two national championships?? Is this beyond the grasp of our current coach. Did this "star" ever have real intention of coming to Clemson? Of course not. The guy can read. End of story. Tons of great players abroad who would love to come to Clemson, so why not recruit them? Anyone watch these guys in the Olympics lately? Just my two cents.

Where is Skara from???***

Jan 22, 2018, 10:22 PM

Abd Djitte and Nnoko?? The real elite foreigners have already turned pro by the time they are 18.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude where have you been? It did go ape crazy***

Jan 22, 2018, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Nm

Re: Dude where have you been? It did go ape crazy***

Jan 22, 2018, 6:19 PM

Thanks, and all best. Just a thought.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Don't be so absurd Bill!!! You know full well what our BB has been for years, and those sad grown men that you're referring to have been as disappointed of the state of our BB program as anyone. Now we, they, see one of the best chances in a long time for our program to land a big time recruit as zion, that could have come in and help turn it around with his talent, and with him being a Tiger it could've help bring in other big time talent. But to see it all flip in an instant, of course there are going to be a lot of sad Clemson men, women and kids. This was a huge opportunity that could have made a huge difference in our BB program. Twisting the knife isn't good for anybody, and that looks to be your intentions. If that's not your intentions, I apologize, but that is what it appears you're doing!!!

Jan 22, 2018, 4:31 PM

I'm not a big BB fan, but in my humble opinion we are going to have to pull off a few key victories in order to change the dialogue. And losing to a very average UNC team in a game that we clearly should have won, isn't the way to start. We choke, we lose. We can't effectively recruit for BB in the U.S., so we should recruit worldwide. We did that in soccer several years back and won several national championships. I don't care whether or not our players speak English with an accent, the idea is to win. This type of change has to start at the top.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:06 PM

I believe ( not that anyone cares ) the way the Tiger played against the Tarheels had a lot of bearing on Z's decision ; first half of that game Tigers played like a middle school team and was embarassing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 5:15 PM

Well yes, but I really didn't watch it, so I can't comment in any knowledgeable way.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Wait! Are there two David's on here? I'm getting some feedback about stuff I know nothing about.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

I can't disagree with you. Perform or die.

Jan 22, 2018, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

So who's to blame? Did he(this star player) really ever have any intention of coming to Clemson? I really don't know, but I doubt it. We are never going to win the recruiting battles here in the U.S. I have suggested all along that we turn those efforts to an international perspective. There are tons of great basketball players out there who would love to play at Clemson. Anyone watch the Olympics?? But, probably, we'll continue to struggle along with the high-school leftovers, and continue to come up short year after year. That self-defeating philosophy is a major reason I'm not a BB fan.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

I have the feeling that the kid was irritated over everyone saying that it was Clemson by a statement he made a week or so ago, and he was out to prove that no one had a say in where he was going, and he pick duke to make that statement, after all, there was no way that duke could have been his worst choice. Knowing how much all Clemson people hated duke, he grabbed the opportunity to prove that he was his own man with his choice. I think that he loved Clemson, but this was his chance to show everybody that he wasn't going with their choices. And he knew that choosing Clemson wouldn't be a shock to anyone like he had promised. Just a kid out to prove he was in control, and that's my opinion....

Jan 22, 2018, 1:24 PM

> I have the feeling that the kid was irritated over
> everyone saying that it was Clemson by a statement he
> made a week or so ago, and he was out to prove that
> no one had a say in where he was going, and he pick
> duke to make that statement, after all, there was no
> way that duke could have been his worst choice.
> Knowing how much all Clemson people hated duke, he
> grabbed the opportunity to prove that he was his own
> man with his choice. I think that he loved Clemson,
> but this was his chance to show everybody that he
> wasn't going with their choices. And he knew that
> choosing Clemson wouldn't be a shock to anyone like
> he had promised. Just a kid out to prove he was in
> control, and that's my opinion....

That could be true. However, I would have been shocked had he picked us. He could have chosen Clemson over the ACC basketball powerhouses and made a name for himself while helping turn Clemson basketball around. So I don't think choosing Duke was a big shock for everyone. And maybe I'm just pessimistic, but for some reason I never had a feeling he was actually coming to Clemson. I kept reading things and seeing he was close to an 80% lock to choose us, but I just wouldn't believe it until the announcement.

Jan 22, 2018, 4:21 PM

I've got to agree with you.

You may be right, but another likely scenario. Maybe two

Jan 22, 2018, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

weeks ago, we were the favorite, and only Usuc and UNCheat were even in the running. But here comes K, swooping in late, with the negative, anti-Clemson tactic..."even if you go there, they won't be good enough to contend for a national championship. You come to Duke, join the other top two recruits, and you can win a national championship in just your one year here, plus we'll get you ready for the NBA!" "Just look at all the other one & dones who came here and won a national championship! You can't do that at Clemson!"

I expect K is really good at getting in a recruits head! And that's what he did with Zion, without the other schools even knowing he was in the picture!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"agree, something stinks here" and quit giving them p. r.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Duke and Coach K. stink to high heaven. I hope that all their highly recruited players this year and next year are one and done, and the program falls apart. GO TIGERS! SCREW THE DEVILS!

Re: "agree, something stinks here" and quit giving them p. r.

Jan 22, 2018, 5:07 PM

I understand your frustration. However, we need to recognize success, and learn from it. Duke is the marquee name in basketball. So why should we still be suckered into playing on their turf?? The world out there is chock full of great basketball players. Let's stop being suckered into playing
Duke's game on his turf. Recruit world-wide!! Ibrahim did this with soccer at Clemson, and won (what) two national championships?? I'm sure there are tons of great BB players out there(worldwide) who would absolutely love to come to Clemson. If I were Clemson's head BB coach, I'd be scouring the world for foreign players. Anyone seen any of these players in the Olympics? They have in the past, I believe,beaten NBA teams. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

I think the Clemson buzz took its toll on him, honestly. I believe we did lead and that he was planning on signing with us as of 1-2 weeks ago, but a Clemson decision wouldn't have been a "shock the world" decision, at that point. He wanted to make a big splash, and no one saw Duke coming, so it offered an opportunity for a really big splash. I know it sounds silly, but that's the age we live in.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:33 AM

Yep, and the me me me me type kids are growing everyday!!!

Zion

Jan 22, 2018, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Sorry but it doesn’t shock me when a top basketball recruit chooses Duke or another top basketball school. Now could we please stop talking about him since he didn’t choose Clemson.

Jan 22, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

Well, we're dealing with teenagers here. Given the public glare, and pressure from every direction, how can we predict what a kid is going to do while in that hothouse? Some like Trevor Lawrence have it all sorted out at that age----most don't. Make clear to the kid that we're still here as long as we can be. Best of luck. We've had guys flip on signing day.

Yeah, if he wants to really "shock the world", flip and sign

Jan 22, 2018, 10:43 PM

with someone else on NSD. After all, he has only verbally committed, hasn't signed anything yet!!

Mar 3, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Sorry David but the Zion Family story just doesn't ]

I was reading this and it didn't register at first until I was going to give it the TU vote, and I saw that I already had, I'm disappointed that I can't TU it again!!!

I've chosen not to read too much into the Zion story,

Jan 23, 2018, 7:48 AM

because I've dealt with my own son and four grandkids, all of whom are Zion's age and older.

One moment they all love this; the next, that; then comes these and then those. While he may have been enamoured with Clemson for a while, as decision day drew near and others came calling, I'm guessing he began waffling thinking, "Wow...now that sounds like the ticket!" Much the same my brood expressed when I gave them options for various things.

No doubt, Coach K entered the scene along with the other traditional powers, and, unfortunately for us, we just didn't have the resume at this time to compete. Zion simply chose to play for one of the best. Which in fact most of us would probably have done.

I wish him (and his family) nothing but the best and feel absolutely no enmity. I do feel somewhat sad for our Clemson family, because I know most of us were really hoping for his commitment to give our program a much needed spark. There is a lesson here: this loss should reenervate our entire family...from the BOT on down through the ranks...to review and rededicate ourselves. Hopefully, the LJ renovation is a start, and although it won't be a panacea, we must now seriously scrutinize the rest of our program, beginning with our staff, and make the commitment to continue building.

Will we ever find success in bball? We can, but only if our efforts are as well directed as they now are with our football program.

GO TIGERS!!!! Proud of this year's team!

Re: New Story: Recruiting weekend wrap: Clemson moving closer with 5-star safety?

Jan 23, 2018, 8:30 PM

Football...can we stick with football? There are three seasons ...Football season, football preseason, and post football almost preseason football. Never mind the drama of some basketball dude who almost committed. Football.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic