»
Topic: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment
Replies: 106   Last Post: Jan 29, 2018 9:58 AM by: EducationOnYourOwnTime®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 106  

New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 7:58 AM
 

 
Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

Selling alcohol at university sporting events has become the norm on college campuses around the nation, and it’s a big moneymaker for cash-strapped athletic programs. Could Clemson reverse course and serve alcohol in Death Valley? Athletic Director Dan Radakovich said alcohol sales isn’t something that Clemson is concerned about at the moment. Full Story »



I don't agree with keeping Beer out of Death Valley...

[20]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:04 AM
 

he's a Clemson student and one of the most valuable players on our baseball team.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers


Re: I don't agree with keeping Beer out of Death Valley...

[11]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:06 AM
 

.



2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg




Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!


well done! I enjoy the play on words! Point for you.

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:37 AM
 

Yes I agree I'm quite simple minded!! ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg


What play on words?***

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:06 AM
 




But out moran***

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 12:07 PM
 



2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers


Bite me.

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 12:20 PM
 

You ain't the boss o' me.

Didn't see that coming, huh?

No, you didn't.


Thank goodness for the low hanging fruit...

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:15 PM
 

or you'd have no fruit at all.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg


We can't all be Thinkers, Thoelogians, Philosophers, or

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:39 PM
 

New Spring bagmen.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers


This is the U.S. of A. You can be anything you want to be.

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:47 PM
 

YOU, for instance, could be an actual man if you wanted to be.


bob's a constant struggle with his id; id is what id is...***

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:53 PM
 



2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg


Death is traumatic to the brain, therefore life is a sin...

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:47 PM
 

right?





2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:05 AM
 

I thought this was gonna be a story about Seth playing football. Dang.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:09 AM
 

First thing I thought of too!


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[14]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:25 AM
 

I’m against alcohol sales in the stadium. Trust me when I say that I do my fair share of tailgating/enjoy some cocktails pre, half-outside and after the games. If you want a drink do it during those times...alcohol sales in the stadium is a recipe for trouble...


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:42 AM
 

My sentiments exactly.
Drink, drink, drink all the way up to the gate. Please leave it out of the stadium.

2019 white level member

I really just don't understand this logic

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:54 AM
 

If people can handle themselves drinking cheap beer and liquor in the tailgate lots, they can handle a few $8 bud lights in the stadium. Selling beer in DV is not going to create a new breed of hooligans...

2019 white level member

Re: I really just don't understand this logic

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:59 AM
 

It's more a concern when the Coots visit. That's an every other year 'disaster in the making'! That flock can't hold their hormones...beer on top of that! Yikes!


I agree. If we are going to give passouts and let people

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:35 AM
 

come and go out of the stadium to drink then what's the difference.


Re: I agree. If we are going to give passouts and let people


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:18 AM
 

Revenue for the university is the difference.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: I agree. If we are going to give passouts and let people

[8]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:20 AM
 

The difference, the difference is the sober time inside that just maybe the factor of you staying alive and allowing some other family to stay alive. Death is for real, so never take something that you can't give back in your life time, that is a H&ll of a difference!!!

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

That's a fallacious argument


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:24 AM
 

I know many people drink more *after* the game because they can't drink during.

Do you really think that with all the cheap beer/booze in the tailgate lots that a couple $8 bud lights in DV are going to make a difference? That's pretty delusional and out of touch.

2019 white level member

Re: That's a fallacious argument

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:14 PM
 

If folks are drinking a lot at tailgates, before and after, they could become hazardous on the highway, especially after a night game. One person's life is more valuable than all the alcohol in the world. I think the University recognizes this. Also, who gives a rat's behind what Texas does??


Re: That's a fallacious argument

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:55 PM
 

Agree.

The argument against alcohol in the stadium is nothing but unfounded, paranoid soccer mom fear built upon unproven claims and, frankly, pure ignorance.

Just because you're scared of the sky falling doesnt mean you have the right to tell me I cant do something.

Beer in Death Valley, Dilly Dilly!


Re: That's a fallacious argument

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 4:54 PM
 

All it takes is one drunk driver killing someone. BTW, I've seen plenty of people acting like A-holes at sporting events for many years. It's almost always because of alcohol. You wanna get drunk? Stay home and do it.


The hypocrisy is so strong


Posted: Jan 29, 2018 9:57 AM
 

We allow people to leave at halftime to chug alcohol, yet we won't sell it in the stadium because...flawed reasons based on fear.

Studies show beer being sold in the stadium decreases alcohol-related problems due to decreased binge drinking before the game. It's a fact.

2019 white level member

Re: That's a fallacious argument


Posted: Jan 27, 2018 9:19 AM
 

The anger you have expressed in your post is the exact reason why alcohol shouldn't be sold in DV. Enough said, and especially when talking about, "pure ignorance"!!!

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: I agree. If we are going to give passouts and let people

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 7:41 PM
 

Agree 100%- Game is 3-4 hrs time to sober up for safe trip home!


Re: I agree. If we are going to give passouts and let people


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:39 PM
 

if they sell alcohol in the stadium, the halftime passes will go away.

No way will they allow both. They will have it set up to sell inside the stadium, forcing people that can not go without alcohol an hr or so without beer.


Re: I really just don't understand this logic

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:53 AM
 

Problem is a non-trivial number of people already cannot handle themselves with the cheap beer and liquor at their tailgate. I shudder to think what they'll be like with more during the game.

And trust me, I can drink some beer and liquor myself. I'm not against it, I just don't think public drunkenness is very attractive.

At the Sugar Bowl, a Bama fan a few rows in front of us was VERY drunk and VERY rude. Cops took him away, eventually. Even the other Bama fans in our section were embarrassed and wanted him gone. Meanwhile, a very drunk Clemson fan was sitting next to my wife and while he was much quieter, he was just as bad and had he not left and never came back from halftime, we were going to get the cops to take him out too.

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Re: I really just don't understand this logic


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:27 AM
 

The non-trivial amount of people that can't handle their liquor is not going to increase because they sell ridiculously overpriced beer at the stadium. That crowd is bringing in mini-bottles, and pounding booze before/after the game - they aren't the target market for these.

The target market are alumni with income sitting in the hot sun in September.

2019 white level member

Re: I really just don't understand this logic


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:59 PM
 

Totally unfounded fear. You aren't making any points, just spitting out a slippery slope argument.

Beer in Death Valley will not change this behavior and its completely illogical and unreasonable to prohibit it any more, especially given the revenues Clemson will earn.


I work football games at Bank of America

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:05 AM
 

for the medical team. Almost all of my calls are alcohol related. People having to be stitched up after a fight, people puking on other patrons, people passing out in the bathrooms. Yea, I am sure they get greased up before the game; however, the 8 beers they drank before the half does not help either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Studies show this decreases alcohol-related problems


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:50 PM
 

WVU had a 30% decrease since they instituted this policy.


West Virginia, for example, has reported a 30 percent decrease in alcohol-related offenses since it started selling beer.

"Police will tell you that hasn't eliminated binge drinking, but it has cut down on it," Luck added.

Most colleges with stadium sales have policies similar to WVU's: only beer; only two at a time; and only until midway through the third quarter.

Tailgating excesses were behind West Virginia's 2011 decision.

"When I got there as athletic director in 2010, one of the things I heard most frequently was that we had a real problem with tailgating," said Luck. "You could leave at halftime, go out to your tailgate, chug a bottle of vodka, and come back in.


That sounds awfully familiar to Clemson...

2019 white level member

Re: I really just don't understand this logic

[6]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:09 AM
 

The more you drink, the drunker you get and the dumber you act. Yes, continuing to drink inside the stadium will exacerbate the problem. Keep alcohol sales out of the stadium if possible.


Re: I really just don't understand this logic


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:28 AM
 

The idiots that drink that much are sneaking in booze and getting trashed before the game starts.

They're not the ones that would buy $10 bud lights at the stadium.

2019 white level member

Re: I really just don't understand this logic

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:13 AM
 

That's what your mouth says, but that just isn't realization. The time inside without drinking allows a sober up period that helps an awful lot of folks to get home safely. How would you feel if you and your family was headed home from DV, and someone that was drinking those $8 beer, and caused the death of your entire family- wife and two or three kids, but you were alive but crippled for life, and knowing you voted for the right to get drunk inside of DV, try living with that haunting you every day for the rest of your life. It may not happen to you but, it's a 100% that it will happen to others. And it may not happen after every game but, one entire family whipped after just one game a season is to many bc Clemson decided to sell alcohol in DV.


Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Then why does UT do this with absolutely no issues?


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:28 AM
 

Is it magic down in Austin? Or are the concerns ridiculously just overblown?

2019 white level member

Re: Then why does UT do this with absolutely no issues?


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:03 PM
 

B.S. Pal, you don't know what problems they have


Sure I do, you can look this stuff up. Lots of studies done***


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:50 PM
 



2019 white level member

because tennessee does not sell alcohol in the stadium


Posted: Jan 27, 2018 12:32 AM
 

unless you have club level seating or if you are in a suite. All of the SEC has that rule. I would think that is why Tn has no problem with it


Re: I really just don't understand this logic


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:01 PM
 

Nope. Those people drink before, sneak in booze and drink during, and continue to drink after.

This claim is completely false.


Re: I really just don't understand this logic


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:35 PM
 

What the alcohol will do is bring out"hooligans" that are in the stands already. It will create problems galore.

I can not see how a person can not go 3-4 hrs without alcohol. When someone pukes down people's back. all #### is going to break lose. People need to party at tailgates and use the game time to sober up. Even if purchases are stopped in the third quarter, some people will be too drunk drive, but will drive anyway. There will be too many people that can not handle themselves drinking cheap beer and liquor in the tailgate lots.

If they allow alcohol sales inside the stadium, every one can kiss leaving at halftime and coming back in the stadium GOOD-BYE. If they are doing it for revenue, they sure aren't going to allow both


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:00 AM
 

Now and Forever!!!

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:25 PM
 

So, let me get this straight: selling beer for 3 hours in the stadium spells trouble, but suspending open container laws for 12 hours doesn’t? Interesting.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 7:55 PM
 

For what it's worth I am totally opposed to selling alcoholic beverages of any kind at any athletic event at Clemson. This is a special place largely because of the experience families have. I don't think you want someone who is drinking sitting beside your young son or daughter at the game. They mau do it outside the stadium but they aren't sitting beside your child when they do that. Usually the consumption of alcohol in excess leads to many other things including language that some of us don't care to hear. I think some folks would just choose to quit giving and quit going because so much about this wonderful place would be gone.


Bud Light 3rd place? Dilly Dilly!***

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:36 AM
 




The topic of serving alcohol in Death Valley has been

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:40 AM
 

discussed many times on this board. I adamantly oppose serving any alcoholic beverages in Death Valley and should the AD seriously consider this I'll definitely raise my objections through every IPTAY venue possible.

We already have enough drunks in the stands that irritate a lot of us - no need to combine drunks with spilling beer all over those of us who are there to actually watch the game. Both times that I've attended the ACC Champ game in Charlotte (where they serve beer in the stadium), I've had idiot drunks in the vicinity of my seat spill beer all over someone. Poor lady beside me during the Miami game got beer doused all over her coat by some young 25 year old drunk that was sitting behind us. Dude was lucky - because if he had spilled beer all over me he would have ended up with a bloody nose, busted lip and a puffed out eye....

If folks want an alcoholic drink during a game at Clemson, then use the "pass-out" program and go to your tailgate and drink.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

If you can't go 3 hours without, perhaps you have a problem.***

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:53 AM
 



military_donation.jpg

Can't and want are two different things


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:55 AM
 

I go without a beer during Clemson games without a problem. But would I prefer to have a cold one during the 2nd quarter of a noon game? You're darn right I would!

2019 white level member

Re: If you can't go 3 hours without, perhaps you have a problem.***


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:00 AM
 

It's only halftime...maybe mid-way 3rd quarter, after three hours! ;)


And you're talking about


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:14 AM
 

punching people in the face.

Hmmmm....

Is that only for spilling beer? Or what if someone accidentally spilled a Coke on you? That's actually a little more messy.

Just wondering.

2019 white level member

Re: The topic of serving alcohol in Death Valley has been

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:16 PM
 

So we either maintain prohibition or your start punching people? That's logical. Perhaps it was an accident? Sometimes people accidentally kick over drinks in the stadium, it happens. Your first reaction is to start throwing punches? I hope you don't own a gun.


Your fears are completely unfounded paranoia. Multiple studies done show that incidents inside stadiums do not increase, in fact evidence suggests they decrease (look at WVU).


Re: The topic of serving alcohol in Death Valley has been


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:31 PM
 

Been away from the computer all day and wow - all the little snowflakes come out regarding "punching a drunk in the face". To calm your little fears - here is what happened...

There was a young drunk idiot sitting/standing (more like swaying/leaning on people) behind us at the ACC Champ game. He had been very obnoxious since the start of the game - lots of cursing (with lots of children in the vicinity), falling over into others, and waving his arms around sloshing his beer on people. Finally, this inebriated a$$hole dropped (not kicked, or accidentally spilled) his beer onto the lady beside me - drenching her hair and coat in beer. If you will remember - it was kind of cold at the ACC Champ game and to have a beer basically poured down the collar and backside of ones jacket is not exactly a comfortable feeling.

I'm all for folks having a good time at the games, and don't mind folks getting a mellow buzz going. But when your "good time" (i.e. being a drunk a$$hole) starts infringing on others - then don't be surprised if one of us older sober guys provides you with an attitude adjustment.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:47 AM
 

It's not like people are sneaking alcohol into the games. I see empty bottles and cans in bathrooms and trash cans . so might as well make a little money off of it.


This is a tired old subject...

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:08 AM
 

As long as Dabo Swinney is the head coach at Clemson, you won't see alcohol sales in Death Valley. And that's as it should be. Regardless of people drinking at their tailgate, anyone who thinks selling alcohol in DV wouldn't change the atmosphere is kidding themselves, or either they've never been to an NFL game.


I went to a game at UT-Austin


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:29 AM
 

They had absolutely zero issues all season. Big success story with their Athletic budget.

2019 white level member

Re: I went to a game at UT-Austin


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:09 PM
 

You dream, captain education


It's reality - I'm just speaking from their experience


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:51 PM
 

Or would you prefer to not make your decisions about this using real case studies from recent years?

2019 white level member

Re: This is a tired old subject...


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:18 PM
 

Dabo has nothing to do with it.

Dabo is also a businessman, and once he sees a few extra zeros in his checks fromt he surplus revenue beer sales will bring in, I highly doubt Dabo will protest.

Beer used to be sold in Death Valley. It ended because of the ACC demanding it.

Multiple case studies have shown 0 negative affects by including booze in the stadium.

If it were as big an issue as you say, no one would leave Clemson tailgates alive.


Dabo has nothing to do with it?


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 4:23 PM
 

Hahahaha. You keep thinking that, too. Good lord. And he isn't so much of a 'businessman' that he'd compromise the Death Valley family experience. It would go completely against everything he's about. Get real.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:08 AM
 

I would just as soon keep it out BUT I do find it funny that the people making the decision about if and a lot of the big donors have all the alcohol they want in the Boxes, West Zone, South Zone.

They are just against the "Poor Ignorant Peasants" that that make up most of the Fan Base from enjoying a beer inside. The same rules do not apply to them.

I am sure that if it were, "All Or Nothing" in Death Valley, they would have allowed it years ago.

It does not affect them so they take the stance of, "alcohol sales isn’t something that Clemson is concerned about at the moment"

How did he make that statement with a straight Face!

I guess they don't need a "Family Environment" in certain areas of Death Valley although whenever I have been able to sit in the West Or South Zones, I saw plenty of Families, so which is it?

The Policy should read, Only the privileged may possess Alcohol in Death Valley!

You could do BYOB just like they do. lol


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:14 AM
 

I have a lot of rules that I would like to apply to others BUT not for me!


I guess I need to run for Office OR Buy ticket to the West/South Zone!

I can see both sides of the Alcohol sales Debate, it is the hypocritical tone that from the powers that be, that is annoying.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:14 AM
 

There are several factors that must be weighed when deciding whether or not to serve alcohol in college stadiums. However, studies have shown that colleges that allow alcohol sales inside the stadium see a significant decrease in the number of alcohol related incidents during the game. One explanation for this is that people no longer feel the need to drink as much as they can before the game because they know that they'll have to go without for 3 hours. Also, allowing beer sales discourages students in particular from sneaking liquor into the game.

2019 student level member

Why would it discourage students from sneaking liquor into

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:30 AM
 

the game? The majority of students can't legally buy alcohol.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers


Link to "studies"?***

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:36 AM
 



2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."


WVU has had a 30% decrease in alcohol related incidents


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:46 PM
 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20161230_Does_selling_beer_at_college_games_decrease_binge_drinking_.html

2019 white level member

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:01 AM
 

that is what happens but Could see the same thing happening with "drinking cheap" tailgating so you didn't have to buy as many "Expensive drinks" inside, I am not sure that many will drink any less because they can or can't get alcohol on the inside. If someone is going to over drink they will find a way.

Just doesn't seem right that the ones making the decision about this, can have a cocktail in there hand at their seat(Box, zone, whatever...)

They are taking the Moral High Ground preaching Family Atmosphere, with no alcohol......Except for them and their privileged friends. lol


That's Right !, we would rather get drunk in the parking lot


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:29 AM
 

and sneak it in. Lost revenue/control thing be darned ! Our laws were set in the 1920's and we like it !

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:37 AM
 

If we are willing to pay the exorbitant fees associated with Clemson Football then we should be allowed to buy beer. Policy to deny responsible fans beer is no different than the heavy handed government overreach we fight against everyday. The "family atmosphere" is not threatened by beer it is threatened by irresponsible people, so don't take my rights away based on a few bad actors. Spend 10% of the beer profits and put a few more security in place to deal with those who abuse the right.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[2]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:39 AM
 

Several years ago I took my son to the Army-Navy game in Philly. As a Navy grad I had talked about the uniqueness of the experience. It was about 25 degrees and windy. We had been in our seats for less than five minutes when a drunken fool spilled 16 ounces of ice cold beer down the back of my eight year old. He suffered through the game and it destroyed the experience. Football in Death Valley is also a unique experience that needs to be protected. It is different than any other major college football venue. Introducing alcohol into the stadium environment puts that at risk. Not a prude or teetotaler here - just someone who thinks Clemson football is special and wants to see it kept that way.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:44 AM
 

> Several years ago I took my son to the Army-Navy game
> in Philly. As a Navy grad I had talked about the
> uniqueness of the experience. It was about 25
> degrees and windy. We had been in our seats for less
> than five minutes when a drunken fool spilled 16
> ounces of ice cold beer down the back of my eight
> year old. He suffered through the game and it
> destroyed the experience. Football in Death Valley
> is also a unique experience that needs to be
> protected. It is different than any other major
> college football venue. Introducing alcohol into the
> stadium environment puts that at risk. Not a prude
> or teetotaler here - just someone who thinks Clemson
> football is special and wants to see it kept that way.

Yea, that sucks. But if this happened within 5 minutes of getting to your seats, its safe to say this person didn't binge drink in the stadium...He was already drunk and would have spilled coke on your son, had beer not been available. I know it was still a terrible experience, but my point is the incidents we think about will happen anyway because of the long hours of tailgating. Most of the time, those who purchase $10 beers in the stadium are not trying to get wasted. Hope your son gets a chance at a better experience, I hear that everyone should experience at least one Army-Navy game. It is on my bucket list.


Nope from me

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:52 AM
 

Love it during the tailgating, but I like the idea of having to a...metabolize, yeah that's it, during the game. No good will come from it, and it will change the atmosphere inside the stadium. Clemson is different, can't put my finger on it, but it feels right the way it is.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Nope from me


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:21 PM
 

Literally every single study done at college stadiums where beer is allowed proves you wrong.

Look at UT and WVU. Use google.


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:57 AM
 

I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea because I don't think it creates a new breed of drunks. Those people are already in the stands because they have tailgated for hours (and at halftime) as well as sneaking it in. And they could just as easily spill cokes and nacho cheese on you. I just don't think people will be getting wasted on $10 beers, that aren't already wasted when they enter the gate. My point is many people don't tailgate for hours, some not at all. So it would be nice to responsibly enjoy a beer during the game...not to mention create a great revenue for the university.


I could care less. As far as I'm concerned they should

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 9:59 AM
 

sell beer/wine. No liquor though.

The problem is tailgating. For a night game against a highly ranked opponent, Clemson is NOT family friendly. There are drunks everywhere in the parking lots and in the stadium people are still drunk, drinking, and cussing and fighting. It's not going to make much difference in those huge night games if beer is sold in the stadium. Second, the noon games are always family friendly. No one has time to get rip roaring drunk when they have to get up at 4 am to drive to Clemson to tailgate a few hours in the morning.

If your goal is to keep Clemson "family friendly", just give TV the shaft and make all home games nooners. Because if you have a night game, beer in the stadium is not going to make much difference.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

- MauldinT
"Tiggi­ty is like finding a high-motor, Dabo five star heart guy. Underrated by the recruiting services, sort of like a Dorian O'Daniel."


Good points, but I disagree.


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:59 AM
 

I think having easier access to alcohol will increase the effect that alcohol has on the game. There are thousands of people who would, during their buzz euphoria, drink even more if it was easily available. So the number of drunks at the night game would increase.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Good points, but I disagree.

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:22 PM
 

You can disagree all you want, but multiple peer reviewed studies say you are wrong.


BS. Throwing out the term "peer-reviewed study" is easy.


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 6:15 PM
 

The opposite has been "proven" by a study before. In Colorado, alcohol related incidents dramatically decreased after they banned alcohol sales.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590987

There are obviously plenty of peer-reviewed studies that suggest alcohol sales at sporting events increase the likelihood of underage drinking, violence and property damage.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080820162848.htm

Relying on peer-reviewed studies is usually a wash because bias is rampant most of the time for an ideologically dependent subject.

I know myself, and I know people. I think the WVU numbers were similar to sats from the HBO series the Wire. They manipulated the stats to match the policy they wanted.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:23 AM
 

I have 6 kids and we love the family environment at DV. Keep it out and stay family friendly!

2019 white level member

I am agin it.


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:27 AM
 

I partake and am not afraid to have a beer in front of my kids...nor do I disparage others right to do so. However, I have never been drunk in front of my kids and appreciate that 99% of my time in DV, neither are others who sit around us. I prefer it this way and would think twice about attending games in a less 'family-friendly' atmosphere. It's one of the things that makes Clemson special IMO.


Why fix it if it ain't broken?

[4]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:32 AM
 

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Death-Valley-ranked-No-1-stadium-in-CFB-29311

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers


This pretty much says it all. Why mess with something

[3]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:55 AM
 

that is so amazing?

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

And beer and baseball go together like love and marriage


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:40 AM
 

Cold beer here!!


I think it is a good idea.


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:47 AM
 

People can drink at the tailgate or not. When I do drink, I don't drink in front of my kids. I would rather they enjoy the game without possible incidents that may be related to beer sales in the stadium. Before I had kids, I was all for alcohol sales.


People already drink! Might as well make some profit of it!

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:50 AM
 

An extra million + would be useful for the athletic dept.


Re: People already drink! Might as well make some profit of it!


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:53 AM
 

One does not put out a fire by pouring more gasoline on it. Increased alcohol consumption will lead to trouble. Just look at statistics around the country on alcohol related incidents. Its scary.

2019 purple level member


Except the schools that do this have ZERO problems


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:31 AM
 

UT-Austin's sales this year was a wild success

2019 white level member

Re: People already drink! Might as well make some profit of it!


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:23 PM
 

Wrong. Do some research.


WVU did - it's overwhelmingly positive***


Posted: Jan 29, 2018 9:58 AM
 



2019 white level member

Re: People already drink! Might as well make some profit of it!


Posted: Jan 28, 2018 7:53 AM
 

I vote "no" to alcohol sales in the stadium. We should do everything possible to protect the family atmosphere that we have.


Re: People already drink! Might as well make some profit of it!


Posted: Jan 28, 2018 8:22 AM
 

JUST SAY NO!...No!!.....NO!!!
N.o.
No.
n.o.
no.
Know!


I love Beer. And I love beer and football. But I think

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 10:54 AM
 

that having beer sales in Death Valley will do more harm than good. Clemson truly has something to be proud of when it comes to fan behavior. More alcohol, that is more accessible will effect that negatively.

I feel like the family culture of Clemson athletics will take a hit with this.

That said, Clemson students/fans should still be able to "pre-game" as long as they keep it inconspicuous. It's so easy to get alcohol in your system if you want it before the game. For those on the edge, easy access alcohol during the game will tip the drunk scales for a lot of people.

I think we walk a great line right now. Something like this will threaten the status quo.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

For all wanting beer sold inside the stadium, you may

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:12 AM
 

change your mind when the person behind you vomits all over your back in the first quarter.

Personal story from a bowl game in Florida. Said person was drunk walking up the stairs carrying another beer with them which they consumed partially when seated. After the first round of barf, they proceeded to fall asleep only to wake up later on to finish the purge. And, yes, said person was a Clemson fan.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton


anecdotes for things that could possibly happen are useless


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:42 PM
 

When it comes to an argument of facts.

How about the FSU study that proved that alcohol-related incidents are reduced when beer/wine is sold in the stadium due to decreased binge drinking before/after the game?

If anything, you guys are making a good argument for eliminating the halftime hall-pass to leave and go binge drink before the 2nd half.

2019 white level member

Interested in this study. Can you link it?***


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 2:45 PM
 



2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Should they be focused on getting dippindots straight first?***

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:13 AM
 



2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 12:05 PM
 

At the last ACCCG I witnessed the effects of allowing ppl to drink during the game. No thanks. I'm fine everyone drinking before the game and not during. Myself included.


WVU has had a 30% decrease in alcohol related incidents


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:47 PM
 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20161230_Does_selling_beer_at_college_games_decrease_binge_drinking_.html

But I know people are allergic to facts/studies related to this. Personal anecdotes are definitely more reliable...

2019 white level member

An earlier study suggests the opposite.

[1]
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 6:16 PM
 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590987

The incident data they found indicated dramatic decreases in arrests, assaults, ejections from the stadium, and student referrals to the judicial affairs office following the ban.

What are you allergic to? Certainly not picking cherries.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

If they would sell beer in sippy cups so the drunks can't


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 3:27 PM
 

spill it down my back then I'm ok with it. Also would require purchase of puke bags with each beer sold.

2019 orange level member

Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 4:30 PM
 

I think this is a good decision. With our fans having the ability to leave the stadium and re-enter it gives anyone the wish to go out at half time and have a couple of beers. This also allows those that are pretty intoxicated before the game to get somewhat sober before getting on the road and head home with 80,000 other people

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger


Re: New Story: Beer in Clemson's Death Valley? Clemson looks to keep family-friendly environment


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 8:55 PM
 

We're already pulling in plenty of revenue from those $4 Dasani's.


The 1st alcohol serving stadium I went to was the old Miami


Posted: Jan 26, 2018 6:54 PM
 

Orange Bowl and the thing that really stood out to me was the nauseating stench of beer that had been spilled in the stands and the slippery floors. Spilled beer had seemed to soak in to every crevice over the years.

I realize the old Orange Bowl pulled double duty with the Dolphins and Hurricanes playing there, in addition to multiple Super Bowls, concerts and other events to contribute to its "over-saturation" with spilled alcohol...but...

I sure wouldn't want our Death Valley to get even a tenth of that smell over time.

Plus, all it'd take is one drunk Coot spilling his beer on my wife or little girl and I'd be asking ya'll to take up a bail money collection for me.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".


Me thinks he's asleep


Posted: Jan 27, 2018 6:39 AM
 



2019 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg

A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer


If you folks can't go without a beer for a few hours you


Posted: Jan 27, 2018 7:48 AM
 

don't need to be on a college campus, you need to be in rehab.

Selling beer adds nothing except revenue. You want that, then add more dippin dots.


Let him in...I think that he can hit it out of ANY ballpark.


Posted: Jan 27, 2018 8:45 AM
 

Just aim east...


Replies: 106  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Boston College
FOR SALE: 4 Tickets For Sale in North Stands Lower Deck. Sec UT, Row P, seats 6-12. Parking Pass in Brooks Cen...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
8450 people have read this post