Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Salary Requirements
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 619

New Salary Requirements

Aug 19, 2016, 9:49 AM

Completely INSANE!!

They went from one extreme to the other. $47,000 for the lowest salary level. This is just absurd.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/final2016/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so is this saying any full time worker

Aug 19, 2016, 9:58 AM

will get a min of 47k?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, just timecards if you make less.***

Aug 19, 2016, 10:34 AM

no it's establishing the limit and other tests...

Aug 19, 2016, 10:36 AM [ in reply to so is this saying any full time worker ]

on exempt and non-exempt employees.

In it's simplest form...if you make under $47k you have to be paid over-time, etc...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ahhhh, i get it***

Aug 19, 2016, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So I make under that amount

Aug 19, 2016, 11:54 AM [ in reply to no it's establishing the limit and other tests... ]

Just teaching for half of the year doesn't really apply, but when I coach I work well over 40 hours each week. What would this mean for me?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Nothing for teachers.***

Aug 19, 2016, 11:57 AM

Re: So I make under that amount

Aug 19, 2016, 2:53 PM [ in reply to So I make under that amount ]

Get a second job in the summer cause you knew that when you became a teacher the pay was low.

No

Aug 19, 2016, 12:02 PM [ in reply to so is this saying any full time worker ]

It's about minimum salary levels for overtime.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Salary Requirements

Aug 19, 2016, 9:59 AM

you should be happy you are getting a raise.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2016, 10:01 AM

LOL good one

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2016, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: New Salary Requirements ]

^^Subtle bigotry^^

This was a big topic in our management meeting yesterday...

Aug 19, 2016, 10:33 AM

the rules are clear as mud.

It's going to end up screwing a few folks that work for me in that they're going to have to switch from salary to hourly and start punching the clock. Right now, they can essentially come and go as they please as long as they tell me what they're doing and are getting their jobs done...I don't really count the hours each week. Some weeks they probably work less than 40 and other weeks more than 40 when needed. Now they have have to punch a clock and follow our policy for hourly employees. One of the staff has a kid that gets sick a lot and she's going to suffer the most.

Here's the bigger problem with it.

Aug 19, 2016, 10:40 AM

reduce the amount of pay allocated to base salary (provided that the employee still earns at least the applicable hourly minimum wage) and add pay to account for overtime for hours worked over 40 in the workweek, to hold total weekly pay constant;

They actually suggest this on the website.

yep....it's nuts....

Aug 19, 2016, 10:45 AM

it's another attempt by the administration to engineer higher salaries.

If the administration would focus solely on spurring economic growth, then a lot of these problems would solve themselves. But they're SO afraid someone who is "rich" might get "richer" that they would rather choose these short-sighted fixes that normally do more harm than good.

Re: yep....it's nuts....

Aug 19, 2016, 11:19 AM

so cut taxes on rich people instead?

My GOD...

Aug 19, 2016, 12:35 PM

You're a simpleton.

2024 student level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*yawn****

Aug 19, 2016, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: yep....it's nuts.... ]

it will turn the fast food industry on its ear. I can see

Aug 19, 2016, 10:54 AM [ in reply to This was a big topic in our management meeting yesterday... ]

why it would be important to your company

:)

Re: This was a big topic in our management meeting yesterday...

Aug 19, 2016, 2:52 PM [ in reply to This was a big topic in our management meeting yesterday... ]

This will hurt non-profits quite a bit. And it will hurt the people that we have in our company, like support people on the inside that are pulling a salary at 40K and have much more flexibility than an hourly employee. Some of them we will be able to increase to this level, but we will have to create new jobs and descriptions. Then, the others will have to start punching the clock....not great for employee morale.

People always complain that low salary forces them to work overtime and never get paid, where in each instance I have ever worked with anyone on that lower payscale, like 27-35k, they love it due to the extra benefits, like staying at home with a kid on a whim or being able to leave for a doctors appointment etc.

I think they could have split the difference and gone with say, 35k because that is typically a very good starting spot for most new managers, directors, etc..

Aug 19, 2016, 2:56 PM

you think a good director's salary starts at 35k?

Aug 19, 2016, 3:15 PM

I am speaking on retail, non-profit or say like a call center. 35-40k is a starting director/assistant manager position. This is the problem because you will lose productivity out of these postiions.

No, I am not talking about an engineer or tech situation. I am talking maybe college degree level starting positions, no specialty.

Aug 19, 2016, 3:22 PM

gotcha

What industry are you guys in?

Aug 19, 2016, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: This was a big topic in our management meeting yesterday... ]

$35k for a manager or director (new or not)? That's hella low.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...doesn't make much sense in any industry.***

Aug 19, 2016, 3:15 PM

Re: What industry are you guys in?

Aug 19, 2016, 3:20 PM [ in reply to What industry are you guys in? ]

Example for a non-profit situation. There is a lady that works in a shelter for abused ladies. She is the director of the house. She oversees all of the housekeepers, secretaries and night watch, MOD type people. She makes $40k a year.

She has to go to events at night for fundraising, she constantly is doing long lunch and learns about the center for fundraising and she has a kid in high school, so she will leave early many days to pick him up, knowing she makes up this time in her other duties.

Now, she becomes an hourly employee making it MUCH more difficult for her to be flexible in how she is spending her time. There is no way that we can pay her $7k more. NO WAY. So that is our only option.

I am just on the Board of Directors for this shelter and a few others, so this is how it will effect us. We will have to constantly watch her hours as if she goes over, we will have to pay over-time, which cannot be afforded either.

My understanding is that it's not just a salary level test..

Aug 19, 2016, 4:11 PM

I think for someone like that, they would still qualify as an exempt employee.

Re: My understanding is that it's not just a salary level test..

Aug 19, 2016, 4:34 PM

Nope. We have already checked. Same as with the YMCA's that I sit on the board. We already have salary people jumping ship or we realize they will. Right now there are around 28 people that they would need to give a 10-12k raise. There is no way that can happen. So they were hired on as salary and will now go to hourly and they will more than likely work 38 hours so the Exec Directors can avoid accidental overtime.

Like I say, they didnt split the middle, they went all the way to the other side.

Government know best. More power to the government!***

Aug 19, 2016, 10:50 AM

law of (un) intended consequence

Aug 19, 2016, 10:59 AM

usually salaried individuals (first level line managers) are carved out of bargaining units when union drives come along. These first level managers are the eyes and ears of the company and are are most times company sympathetic.

With these line managers now being put on the side of hourly workers, they will be more sympathetic to the hourly workers cause. This will have two effects:

1) it will grow the number of workers in the bargaining unit.

2) it will take away the eyes and ears of the company to fight union drives.

Also it will create entire new bargaining units that never were before.

Dont think for a minute that this was not part of this.

More power to unions is not unintentional.

Aug 19, 2016, 11:11 AM

You are correct about that outcome though.

Tons of new orders from this admin causing lots of

Aug 19, 2016, 4:31 PM

heartache with businesses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tons of new orders from this admin causing lots of

Aug 19, 2016, 4:35 PM

Yes. This admin has made it clear they are not small business friendly which correlates to not being middle class friendly. And it will continue if we get Hillary.

Replies: 32
| visibility 619
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic