Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC expansion and future alignment?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

ACC expansion and future alignment?

Jun 21, 2018, 10:29 PM

Get Notre Dame as a full member and then welcome West Virginia. Split north and south divisions with eight teams in each.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never WVU

Jun 21, 2018, 10:46 PM

Re: Never WVU

Jun 21, 2018, 10:58 PM

Well maybe, that would give us a chance for many get backs for the Orange bowl 70-33 beat down that WVU gave us!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take Navy over WV all day long.***

Jun 22, 2018, 5:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Take Navy over WV all day long.***

Jun 22, 2018, 5:44 PM

I agree. WVU's academics are as bad USuC's, and we don't need trash like that in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy a passionate fan base. At least WVU has a little

Jun 22, 2018, 6:21 PM

more success to boast of also. That state could certainly use a little dose of ACC presence at its flagship U. Plus the Backyard Brawl would be back on an annual schedule under the ACC banner. Not bad for the cause.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too***

Jun 22, 2018, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Take Navy over WV all day long.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: ACC expansion and future alignment?

Jun 21, 2018, 10:52 PM

Notre Dame will never commit to being a full football member in any conference. Might as well forget about them and be satisfied with the partial deal we have now. I think the best football school to add would be WV, but apparently their academics aren't up to ACC standards. I think the likely candidates the ACC would pursue would be Uconn and Rutgers. If that's the case I'd rather just stick with what we have now.

This! I wish ND would, but as is, they get the spoils of all the revenue, and don’t have to share. It has to cost more than they now get.

Wait until they get left out of the playoffs one year becaus

Jun 22, 2018, 9:15 AM

e of no conference championship. they will join the ACC. It's going to happen eventually.

Re: Wait until they get left out of the playoffs one year becaus

Jun 22, 2018, 4:45 PM

It's more likely that a one loss ND beats out 2 one loss conference champions for a playoff spot.

Re: Wait until they get left out of the playoffs one year becaus

Jun 28, 2018, 8:32 AM

That could happen, but I hope it's more likely that they get left out when there is a tie at the top. I don't think they displace us any longer (at least I hope we have established ourselves to that degree now), and they won't displace AL or OSU nor many others, IMO. Their brand seems to have lost some of its luster in the last decade, as they danged surely should have. Our conference would help that.

Jun 22, 2018, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: ACC expansion and future alignment? ]

I still see the college playoff moving to 8 teams in the near future. This will include all 5 power 5 conference champions, the group of 5 champion, and 2 at large. When ND needs a conference championship to make the playoff they will join. Contractually, they are required to join the ACC if they join a conference. I think this is closer to a reality than people realize.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't mind seeing that but no auto for Group of 5.

Jun 22, 2018, 6:33 PM

They have to earn an at-large spot - too much of a wild card 8-seed scenario otherwise playing the #1 team, and that doesn't add up well. With Power 5 champions not ranked as well at least they will have more proven track records behind them via their weekly competition. And if the P5 relied on regular season championships for the auto bid all the better - more likely to have the better contender.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: ACC expansion and future alignment? ]

Television income will determine how the next round of expansion occurs. ND already knows NBC likely can’t match their current contracto so I see ND having no other option but to join.

Penn St. almost joined earlier this decade, but the B10 offered Hockey which ACC schools don’t have. The ACC won’t look at UConn due to BC’s objection, and Navy would trump Rutgers as ND already plays Navy. FSU and Miami do not want to compete against another Florida school.

WVa. will leave the B12 sooner than later, especially when TV rights get negotiated by the ACC and other conferences sooner than 2025. Like it or not, geographically and rivalry wise they make the most sense. Academics have improved there as well so we shall see changes coming at some point.

I like the idea of four team pods to compete, but two divisions will likely be kept instead. A nine game conference schedule would work with sixteen members. Dabo won’t like it, but I suspect it will happen.

Go Tigers!

Jun 21, 2018, 10:57 PM

ND makes more than a conference can pay off of their TV contracts and WVU just joined the big 12..

Jun 22, 2018, 7:58 PM

LINK?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

ND makes more than a conference can pay off of their TV contracts and WVU just joined the big 12..

I would like to pick up Penn State

Jun 21, 2018, 11:15 PM

I don't know if they would make the move, but I think that it would be a good fit.

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Jun 21, 2018, 11:19 PM

Would the UCF Knights work out for an expatiation team, asking for your friend?

Jun 21, 2018, 11:25 PM

Go to a WVA game dressed in the opponents colors and see how you are treated. You will then know why they will never be in the ACC. Will likely be ND and Navy with a Florida directional school as the next best option

Swap out Wake for WVU.

Jun 21, 2018, 11:29 PM

Sorry Deacs, but you'll earn some dough and stay on everyone's schedule along with your AAC slate.

Notre Dame is perfect where it is with football. 5 with ACC and the rest with other Power 5 teams - lots of comparison points for poll jockeying for us.

ND doesn't shank on their scheduling either - there's a lot of prime time overall. On the old school side it's nice to know that college sports has an oddness about it that starkly contradicts how it works in professional leagues. I don't take it personally that their football team chooses to schedule like it does. They could probably make more money than their NBC deal if they were full-time here, so I don't think that's much of an influencer with them being the outsider.

Get rid of divisions. 3 permanents and every other team 2x home/home every 4 years, the normal college term. 14 is a good size for 8-game league seasons.

Re: Swap out Wake for WVU.

Jun 22, 2018, 10:08 AM

The NC schools and remaining original members won’t push out Wake Forest. Academically the school brings status as well. I agree it would compete well in the AAC, but unless Wake leaves on their own it is not happening! Besides Wake likes ACC money which the AAC can’t match.

I hear ya. I have a soft spot for Wake also and know they've

Jun 22, 2018, 5:37 PM

had our back in the past. Great memories from many games in many sports also, esepcially back in the day as a student. But I do wonder if Wake as an institution is in a position to manage an athletics program requiring obscene amounts of investment to keep pace which is incumbant upon the programs in the Power 5 conferences.

It's an outstanding academic institution, but the ACC has more to gain from a program that offers more followers, more competition overall in revenue sports, and great TV. The league will have a great academic rep regardless. WVU would most likely benefit from working closer with our other institutions, but with coal mining back in vogue, who knows.

I could see where the ACC would guarantee 20+ years or so of preferred scheduling in all sports with augmented payouts plus potential media rights revenue-sharing bonuses when they play at ACC venues. At some point the academic side and the school's mission will be in conflict with its athletic obligations as a league member considering what's happened in the athletic realm over the past few decades.

Jun 22, 2018, 7:58 AM

I want to get rid of all ACC teams except Clemson, then admit USuC and play them 12 times every year.

Jun 22, 2018, 6:28 PM

Playing the coots 12 times a year would be fun but it would destroy our strength of schedule.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:59 AM

Every conference should've stayed at 10 teams then play 9 (all) your conference opponents. Heck we play Alabama, Auburn and LSU more than the Coots do and USCjr is in their conference.

What does it matter?

Jun 22, 2018, 9:14 AM

Clemson and FSU are a done deal to the Big 12. Right?

That' Not How It's Going To Occur

Jun 22, 2018, 10:55 AM

The change in television viewing habits and methods are going to dictate the future alignment of college football. Television broadcasters will transition to paying individual institutions as opposed to conferences. This will force these particular and select institutions to play each other as opposed to most of the other members of their current conferences.

Either these institutions will join together in a single nationwide football conference or the institutions will drastically reduce the number of current also -ran institutions on their schedules.

Re: That' Not How It's Going To Occur

Jun 22, 2018, 5:07 PM

I would rather see Cincy. That would get us a better footprint into the state of Ohio. Not sold on the hillbillies from WV. having Cincy, Pitt, and Louisville grouping would be much better than those wanting UConn or Rutgers. Don't need anymore from that region. Just my 2 cents worth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic