Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule

Jul 6, 2017, 7:01 AM

Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule

One former college football coach thinks Clemson’s rugged early-season schedule will force head coach Dabo Swinney to find a quarterback in fall camp and stick with him through the first part of the season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mr. Rick, shhhhh. Dabo doesn't care what you think. Hth!***

Jul 6, 2017, 7:02 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule

Jul 6, 2017, 7:12 AM

LOL These guys on Sirius are just not siriusly reliable. Everyone and their brother knows this. It's not news.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule

Jul 6, 2017, 8:17 AM

I think our front is fabulous as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he said isn't a crazy opinion.***

Jul 6, 2017, 7:17 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

It's kind of hard

Jul 6, 2017, 8:15 AM

to listen to someone that looks like such a geek!

That's true. People don't listen to me.

Jul 6, 2017, 8:30 AM

Wait ... what?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: What he said isn't a crazy opinion.***

Jul 6, 2017, 8:34 AM [ in reply to What he said isn't a crazy opinion.*** ]

I could see us start 2-3 in the worst case, but I doubt that happens based upon how the staff builds the offense. Coaches do their jobs, but Dabo would agree players have to step up and make plays. Tiger fans have been used to DW's exceptional performances and frankly none of our current QBs come close to his level of play yet.

While none of us likes to admit it, a small bit of plain luck always enters into how a game turns. Clemson is going to have to play smart, make few if any mistakes, and then see where we stand at the close of the first month. Hope we do not get hit by injuries as well. I see us no worse than 3-2, but who knows at this point.

Go Tigers!

Re: What he said isn't a crazy opinion.***

Jul 6, 2017, 3:54 PM

opinion is fair, its just never fairly administered to the other "blue bloods" with a new un proven quarterback, its easy to see some of the games go either way,

Yep, it ain't rocket science

Jul 6, 2017, 7:18 AM

to talk about football. The science part comes in when you need to build a team that has lost key talent........anyone out there better than DS? I feel not

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

personally I cant

Jul 6, 2017, 7:35 AM

Disagree with this analysis. The early season is going to be tough. These would be tough games if DW was at QB. With Bryant leading the way I'm not sure we can start the season five and o! I hope someone had an unbelievable summer.

Re: personally I cant

Jul 6, 2017, 9:32 PM

I don't disagree with what they said. We need to settle on a qb who can execute our offense. Never change it to suit one person who can't pass effectively. The goal is to make the playoffs . We can't worry about hurting players feelings.

Breaking News!!

Jul 6, 2017, 7:31 AM

Clemson plays tough games early! Dabo needs to choose a QB! Defense looks great, will offense be good though?! **Insert other topic we've been discussing for 6 months already**!!

Extra, extra, read all about it!

Thanks Rick.

He is speaking to more than Clemson fans as well.*****

Jul 6, 2017, 10:55 AM

Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 AM

I'm not one to walk around and kick dirt on someones shinny polished shoes without knowing I'm able and ready to back it up. And I don't think that Neuheisel has a clue of what he is saying. He is sounding like our coaching staff was walking blind in the dark ages and didn't realize what we would be facing this season, last season. They are the ones that didn't recognize Dabo and coaches emptying our benches as often as they could to get our guys ready with some experience to stand their ground when called on this season. If our D will be as good as advertised, and with the experience we will have on the offensive line, we should be able to use what QBs we have and hold off about anybody. This is what I believe, and the talkers don't know our Clemson Tigers better than our HC. Dabo has won a NC at his first ever coaching job, so he must know something about winning games in the sport....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, we suxor again. Starting 2-3, we just can't get over

Jul 6, 2017, 7:43 AM

hump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 7:51 AM

The thing that gets me is that Alabama could lose all 11 starters on Offense and people would still declare them pre-season National Champions because of their Defense, but Clemson is gonna go 2-3? Same #### different year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 8:56 AM

Well said!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule ]

You hit it on the head. Bambam is a perennial favorite without proven parts to offence but we are not.... Fine and dandy by me. I LOVE it when the talking heads put that chip on our shoulders. Seems to bring out the best at Tigertown!!!

Jul 6, 2017, 8:01 AM

All those so called experts need something to talk about. One size don't fit all.Each situation has it's own set of determining factors.I trust Dabo and crew over neuheisel

Jul 6, 2017, 8:31 AM

well I look at how many conf and NC's each has won. I am comfortable Dabo knows what he's doing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 8:49 AM

I am sure KB will have to lose the job playing Kent State. You bet that the time the start of the second half of the game we will know who the qb will be. I believe we will be fine. 4 very good qbs.
1 or 2 will great with game experience. Whoever can move the chains the best! Whoever does not meltdown during the game or who can read the defense and not make mistakes.

THe other team has to score to win!

Re: Thanks, Capt. Obvious---err, Rick.

Jul 6, 2017, 8:53 AM

Can't believe someone pays this guy to spew this drivel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Tigers can be very successful with solid, capable and ....

Jul 6, 2017, 8:55 AM

mistake free QB play if our other offensive playmakers step up. The "catch" (pun intended) to this scenario is that our best playmakers are likely at WR. We will have to throw and catch pretty well to be successful.

Regarding Feaster as a game changer - conventional wisdom focuses on his blocking and play recognition. While true, improvement in exploding through the hole and breaking the initial contact are needed. The first 4-6 quarters of the year will be telling.

Hopefully Feaster will show early in the season that power burst that will lead to a number of long runs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dreaming is to think that a first time QB is going to

Jul 6, 2017, 9:29 AM

play mistake free regardless of who they are.

Re: Dreaming is to think that a first time QB is going to

Jul 6, 2017, 10:34 AM

I think one time I dreamt of a QB that threw a laser touchdown pass against Georgia on the first drive of his career. Then I dreamt he threw 6 touchdown passes in his first career start... that would've been cool huh?

Jul 6, 2017, 8:55 AM

All the games re tough. We will have a great team this year, IMO. Sure, we lost some very talented players. We did last year, too. So did Alabama last year, and the year before. Best I remember, Jaylen Hurts was a true freshman last year, and he looked just fine to me. I don't know what we will do this year, but this Clemson football program is a new beast now. We can reload with lots of very effective weapons, and we will be just fine. I do hope Dabo doesn't try a QB experiment where the best guy isn't leading the team. I hope he learned that lesson from the CS experiment, and I believe he has. Neuheisel is right about 1 thing. though. We don't have a lot of time to get a guy ready this Fall. That's what it's like at the top of the mountain. I like the view from the top.

It makes sense to me. That's the same thing most of us have

Jul 6, 2017, 9:01 AM

been saying all summer.

Correct. The team doesn't need an attitude that we have

Jul 6, 2017, 9:32 AM

arrived instead of a chip on their shoulder.

Me I see 4-1 with a loss to Louisville. Auburs at home & VTs

Jul 6, 2017, 9:11 AM

rebuilding from scratch. But I can see going 5-0 too.. Louisville lost a lot too.

Personally hoping Bryant has done all the right things this summer and comes out as the leader this fall and wins the job quickly at least for the first part of the season.

Of course he does. That's just common sense.***

Jul 6, 2017, 9:12 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 9:23 AM

Oh no. Are we on upset alert already? Captain Obvious just let the cat out of the bag, and now everybody knows we are doomed. I hope we can win at least 1 or 2 games this year.

Ole Rick has a real grasp of the obvious don't he !?!?!?!***

Jul 6, 2017, 9:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Who is Rick Neuheisel and how much does he get paid for such

Jul 6, 2017, 9:41 AM

ground-breaking, insightful commentary? Dude is brilliant!

Dabo's a Much Better Coach than Neuheisel

Jul 6, 2017, 12:17 PM

Dabo has proven himself to all, even critics. Do he'll do what's needed with Streeter to best 3 QBS ready, rest assured. I believe 2 will play in Kent St game, maybe 3. The best of them will earn starter with Auburn. Our D will keep us in any game. QB just needs to execute his position and not force plays. We'll be fine in Sep I'm thinking! Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~this~***

Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 PM

Just 1 Thing

Jul 7, 2017, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Dabo's a Much Better Coach than Neuheisel ]

Neuheisel has proven himself, too. That's why he's on a radio show and not a Head Coach of a great program. I rest my case.

I don't think he understands how this is gonna work.

Jul 6, 2017, 9:54 AM

There is always a competition. Even when a starter has been named, if he plays poorly and the 2nd-stringer gives us a better chance of winning, he will play.

Name a starter early and stick with him? What if the competition is very close, but we name a starter early anyway as RN suggests. Then after a game or two, the starter is playing poorly while the backup is looking sharp in practice. Do you stick with the starter no matter what? Sounds absurd to me and I don't think it will happen that way.

I will add, I think this competition will continue all through fall camp and my guess is that a starter won't be named until late, maybe game week.

Message was edited by: Smiling Tiger®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Even if Bryant is not #1, he ought to be used frequently as

Jul 6, 2017, 2:45 PM

wildcat. His running ability will help us several times every game.

Neuhizzle been waiting for us to lose for 3 yrs

Jul 6, 2017, 10:19 AM

Keep waiting Rick... we just re-load.

Yep, we have zero game breakers now at WR.

What will be interesting is what excuses Nuehizzle will come up with for why we're over-rated after we start 5-0.

Yawn. No one watches your show buddy. No one.

Go comment on the PAC12 where you have some knowledge.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Neuhizzle been waiting for us to lose for 3 yrs

Jul 6, 2017, 10:48 AM

Hmm, so Lil Ricky, in between getting fired from multiple coaching gigs says Dabo needs to decide on a QB. Ok, thanks. Maybe Rickly can dispense with some other pearls of wisdom like: Scoring more points than your opponent is good, or First downs help!

Re: Neuhizzle been waiting for us to lose for 3 yrs

Jul 6, 2017, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Neuhizzle been waiting for us to lose for 3 yrs ]

If Rick Neuheisel is wishing that we lose, well his nuts dropped on him when TB was fired, and Dabo was hired!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2017, 10:58 AM

We once had an OC that stated that he could only get one QB ready to play for a game. Dabo's first task as acting head coach was to fire him!
We had named a starting QB in Watson's 1st season (not Watson) Watson was ready to play when his number was called and he through a TD pass on his first series in the UGa game. Schusler was ready every time he went into a game last year. Kelly was ready to play at Miami last year. I expect us to have 3 QBs ready to play against KentSt, and I expect 4 to play. We will have 3 ready to play against Auburn and I have no idea how many will play.
What many do not understand is the pace the Tigers practice at since Chad Morris was at Clemson. There are a lot of reps to be had because they run the offense faster in practice than in the game. I expect the 2s are running the same plays on another field.

Jul 6, 2017, 11:19 AM

Agree with you, lhaselden.

I think KB will get nod in opener, hopefully execute, open door for ZC & HJ to come in and get some in game reps (w/out a doubt this is where our early season struggles last year cost our QB development).

I think after seeing the in-game "interviews" of all 3 Coach will have a huge decision to make facing Auburn.

Last comment; there is nothing wrong w/ what Rick said - for most college football fans was likely concise and helpful. A few of the keyboard expert "analysts" on this board need to get over themselves ... last I checked Neuheisel's resume consists of 2 decades of Div I and NFL experience -

Jul 6, 2017, 11:24 AM

So, let me get this straight?

We lost all the key players (including 1 OL) from our offense, but our defense could be even better.

Auburn, Louisville, and Virginia Tech must not have lost anybody. Because it sounds like we have to play the teams they had last year, correct?

Wait, wasn't the Louisville team from last year the one that collapsed at the end of the year. The same one with the Heisman winner that was lucky the voting was done in November. Auburn didn't lose anyone? V Tech doesn't have to replace their QB & WRs?

Yes, we all know that we have question marks around our offense. Big ones too. However, the defense will keep us in every game we play, even if we struggle offensively.

Dabo has developed depth right from the start. He even had to teach Venables to trust the depth, and rotate his players. Coach V is a convert now. Our core WR group (recognized as one of the best in the ACC) all have experience in games, big games.

We will be just fine.

Thank you very much Mr Neuheisel.

Thank you very much.

Jul 6, 2017, 11:38 AM

Ha!

With AUB's new addition of Stidham, UL's Jackson, and FSU's Francois - not sure why so many are offended by these comments. Agree our D is still stacked, and yes, We2Deep everywhere, but c'mon y'all - quit being so shocked.

VT is always tough in Blacksburg (remember late nineties anyone)?

Jul 6, 2017, 2:25 PM

I have a hard time remembering back almost 20 years ago. Did VT have a team back then;)

They were way better in the late 90s

Jul 7, 2017, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule ]

They did play for a national championship in 99. They're going to regress this year from last year.

Jul 6, 2017, 11:28 AM

One thing is for sure if we have used 2-3 QBs by the Time VT rolls around, it could be a very bad start to the season.
If Bryant is not the man I would love to see some plays using his speed.
But a QB rotation will not work.
Dabo and Co will figure it out and put the best on the field.

Jul 6, 2017, 11:38 AM

Meet Mr.Higgins, Mr.Powell, and Mr.Fuller! The Shock and Aw of this offense to everyone else is going to be priceless! I'm calling it now this offense will average 28-31pts per game. With this defense that's good for 10 to 12 wins. Buckle up Tiger fans!! It's almost game time!

Jul 6, 2017, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule ]

Florida won a NC using a QB situational rotation....Tebow came into the game in the red zone.

We will have a starting QB in every game. It might be the same QB all season, or it might change depending on injury or player developments. In any case we have to have more than one QB ready to play in every game.

He reminds me of snake oil salesman without the snake oil***

Jul 6, 2017, 12:23 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Don't forget ....

Jul 6, 2017, 12:42 PM

Travis Etienne in the mix. I think with him,Fuller and Feaster we'll run the ball a lot more ( Cain on the jet sweep too ). This will soften up defenses to allow Bryant et.al to make completions . Look for the game against Allbarn to consist of a lot of swing passes,wheel routes and short passes of 5 yards or less .

Once the QB starter's confidence is gotten to the level that Dabo likes it'll be katy bar the door for our talented group of wide receiver.

Re: Don't forget ....

Jul 6, 2017, 1:46 PM

Choice will be in the mix at RB. I expect that McCloud or Feaster will be the man on the jet sweep, they have the moves with the ball in their hands.

Jul 6, 2017, 3:14 PM

This guy must not follow recruiting. He says we have no play maker like Mike Williams. Guess he's never heard of Tee Higgins.

Jul 6, 2017, 9:19 PM

Dabo decided on his starter alraedy. Somebody call Rick Neuheisel and discuss how research is a valuable tool in any good sportscaster's repertoire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule***

Jul 7, 2017, 1:05 AM

Re: New Story: Rick Neuheisel: Dabo has to decide on a QB early because of rugged schedule***

VT is gonna take a step back

Jul 7, 2017, 8:09 AM

I'm not worried about them at all. Plus, we've owned them anyways. A 2-3 start is laughable.

Re: VT is gonna take a step back

Jul 7, 2017, 9:47 AM

I agree. 4-1 minimum

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic