Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure how many people noticed but Frank Howard.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 101

Not sure how many people noticed but Frank Howard.......

Sep 7, 2015, 5:39 PM

has been removed from the pregame video. I really think this flies in the face of tradition. "If you're not going to give 110% keep your hands off my rock!"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I thought the audio/video all-around took a step back

Sep 7, 2015, 5:52 PM

from last year and the previous few seasons. Music selection was pretty much awful at times, and although the 4th quarter video was OK, it didn't nearly measure up to last year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, 4th quarter video not as good

Sep 7, 2015, 6:22 PM

I could not believe that they didn't include Coach Howard's 110% quote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson

Sep 7, 2015, 5:54 PM

Clemson is a very different school than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. I appreciate what he did for Clemson, and he should be honored accordingly, but that doesn't mean he should be prominently featured on our pregame video for all to see.

Just my $0.02.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He wasn't "prominently" featured in years past.....

Sep 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

But he was given the respect he deserves. Without Coach Howard you're not enjoying Clemson football like you are today.

I agree!

Sep 7, 2015, 6:00 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

He "IS" part of "Our" history but I do not think he should be the face of our program.........my 2 pennies

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should change it to Caitlyn Jenner's Rock. Courageous.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:24 PM

And keep up with the times. Clemson should be on the right side of history. The kind of place that would finally make Michelle Obama proud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think we should take it down entirely.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:30 PM

After all, it's "Howard's" Rock, and he's an old white guy so #### him.

Plus, we shouldn't go around judging people based on something so racist and classist as *EFFORT*. If you're able to overcome the hurdles of the patriarchy and get to the top of The Hill, you shouldn't be discriminated against. It's just an idea whose time has passed.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not what he says, it's how he says it.***

Sep 7, 2015, 6:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Please be trolling me.***

Sep 7, 2015, 6:38 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is the default response to anything like this

Sep 7, 2015, 6:31 PM [ in reply to We should change it to Caitlyn Jenner's Rock. Courageous. ]

automatically "something something Caitlyn Jenner?" Tigernet seems more obsessed with Caitlyn Jenner than E! or the ESPYs were...

GO TIGERS

One quote just before rubbing the rock?

Sep 7, 2015, 6:27 PM [ in reply to I agree! ]

Hardly the "face of the program".

That quote is part of the legacy of the program, just as much as the Rock itself. Might as well stop rubbing the Rock, running down the Hill and calling it Death Valley if we intend to stop upholding tradition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds good. Stop everything. And rename Tillman.***

Sep 7, 2015, 6:43 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think once anything gets to be 50 years old

Sep 7, 2015, 6:26 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

we should burn it down and forget it ever existed.

In the name of progress, of course.

That is not my point at all.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:30 PM

The football field is named after him. The rock our players rub is named for him. These are significant and appropriate ways to honor him. Excluding him from the pregame video shouldn't minimize his contribution to our program.

You're kind of talking around yourself at this point.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:36 PM

Like speaking in a pregame video is somehow a more prominent honor than having the field and Rock named after him.

If you think he should be removed from the video because he's "not a proper representative" of Clemson, I don't see how you could want his name plastered all over the stadium.

It's only a matter of time before they run out of statues of Ben Tillman and John Calhoun to tear down and come for Frank's legacy.

Re: I think once anything gets to be 50 years old

Sep 7, 2015, 7:45 PM [ in reply to I think once anything gets to be 50 years old ]

So I guess if and or when you personally reach age 50 you want to get the same kind of treatment? I remember Coach Howard as do quite a number of wiser Clemson fans who firmly believe until Dabo equals or surpasses Howard's win total that Frank Howard remains a legend in southern football and should therefore be recognized by the school he was part of for more than fifty years counting his retirement.

Go Tigers!

p.s. As a historian I sense entirely to many young people who merely focus on their immediate circumstances. You cannot fully understand the society and nation you live in without acknowledging the contributions of those before you who made it possible,

What kind of treatment are you referring to?!?

Sep 7, 2015, 8:00 PM

I all for honoring him as the legend he is - as in naming the field and the rock after him. I'm not sure why some of you are seemingly offended that the 10 second audio clip of him is not in the pregame video this year. It is not taking away what he did or what he means.

Just as young people shouldn't forget the past, older people shouldn't cling so tightly to the past that they lose their ability to be objective and relevant.

Re: What kind of treatment are you referring to?!?

Sep 7, 2015, 9:07 PM

I was referring to the post titled in my initial response! So this poster figures anything fifty years old or beyond should be burned because it doesn't represent progress. I am all for the useful progress which enhances our lives, but to imply something fifty years old needs to be destroyed merely because age is quite immature thinking in the face of preserving what made us who we are presently. While I recognize Coach Howard's time has past I personally Clemson should honor all our legacy coaches who made this program from our beginnings through Coach Ford's tenure. Heisman, Neely, Howard and Ford together put Clemson among the best regional and national programs.

Times change, however legacies do not!

Go Tigers!

Re: IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson

Sep 7, 2015, 6:28 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

Here's a penny back because your opinion ain't worth 2 cents. Coach Howard IS Clemson! ######!

He may be Clemson to you, and that's great. But he isn't to me.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:33 PM

I appreciate the many years he devoted to Clemson as coach and AD. He loved Clemson and did a lot for us. But we have a lot of other, more recent representatives of our fine institution who I feel are better served on a pregame video.

The field and the rock are named after him. I think that is great. Why does having his speech in the pregame video mean so much to you?

It's the story of the tradition that he started that we

Sep 7, 2015, 6:40 PM

are all about to witness.

There literally couldn't be a more appropriate quote or clip to use in that moment. Good grief.

I find it ironic your handle is a historic Clemson name.***

Sep 7, 2015, 6:45 PM [ in reply to He may be Clemson to you, and that's great. But he isn't to me. ]

Why is it ironic? I'm all for honoring our past.

Sep 7, 2015, 7:29 PM

Howard's Rock? Love it.
Frank Howard Field? Very appropriate.

Staticky, somewhat difficult to understand audio clip of Frank Howard to start the game? I don't think it is the best idea.

Maybe some of you don't care what others think, but I don't feel that is a great representation of our university in 2015.

Re: Why should it bother you? Hoss, you have just stepped

Sep 7, 2015, 7:39 PM [ in reply to He may be Clemson to you, and that's great. But he isn't to me. ]

on a land mine that did not detonate. Don't move!

Re:You can keep it***

Sep 7, 2015, 7:22 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

Thanks.***

Sep 7, 2015, 7:30 PM

I respectfully disagree. Frank Howard was, is, & will be

Sep 7, 2015, 7:34 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

CLEMSON FOOTBALL........Do not ever forget that!......Just my $2 bill.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every generation want to leave it's mark. That's fine...

Sep 7, 2015, 8:01 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

but don't erase or ignore the generation that build IPTAY and our football program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No need to worry. Clemson does an excellent job honoring its history IMO.***

Sep 7, 2015, 9:22 PM

Sep 7, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

well then, lets just get rid of the rock the players touch and kiss on the way down the hill...lets rename it to larry's rock....he deserves it and then some

Way to overreact.

Sep 7, 2015, 9:24 PM

Nobody is suggesting that we rename the rock or the field.

Other than His Field, His Rock, The Most Wins and

Sep 7, 2015, 9:32 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

in the College Football Hall of Fame, why is he not a great representative?

He and Danny perpetuated the "dumb as a fox" mentality. Both had Masters degrees.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 7, 2015, 9:36 PM [ in reply to IMO Howard is not a great representative of today's Clemson ]

Just another opinion , but without that voice of Coach Howard , the rock would lose some of it's significance .

It's not necessarily about honoring Howard as it is about inspiring the team and the crowd .

Need a proper balance

Sep 7, 2015, 7:02 PM

While I love the facility and overall marketing changes undertaken by the football program, they have to be careful not to brush aside history. The true powers in college football have deep seeded histories. Sure you have programs like Louisville and WVU that can be built fast, but the old powers never forget their identity.

Regardless of the changes a program makes:
At Bama you cannot escape Bear
At OSU, Hayes
At ND, Rockne
And so on and so forth

The day Clemson casts aside figures like Riggs, Howard, and Edwards is the day Clemson is no longer Clemson.

A proper balance is all I'm after.

Sep 7, 2015, 7:32 PM

It's not about hiding history or failing to honor our icons. But I do think we must always evaluate whether what worked for us decades ago still applies today.

Sort of like option football. It was great in the 80s, and helped us win a championship. We have fond memories of it and we honor it. But it isn't as applicable now as it was then, and we don't emphasize it now like we used to. Nothing wrong with that.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it........and it isn't broken!***

Sep 7, 2015, 7:38 PM

I've always supported change when apt; however, anyone

Sep 7, 2015, 9:26 PM

well-versed in our history should be willing to acknowledge that if we played that clip the next 100 years, it would remain as fitting as it is today.

The key: the fact that without Frank Howard, we wouldn't be enjoying football in DV today...and that's an indisputable fact. The additional fact that the clip ties in to our tradition of the hill and the rock makes for what we consider to be the best entrance in college football in the nation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. I agree 110%!***

Sep 7, 2015, 10:13 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic