Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Network, state popluation, Notre Dame, Navy and UL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

ACC Network, state popluation, Notre Dame, Navy and UL

Jan 31, 2013, 11:47 AM

KY has 4,300,000 people

MD has 5,800,000 people

I think the eyeballs on the games because of the switch is about a wash

add to that UL proximity to Indiana and the superior football product that will be causing more people in the ACC states to be watching games with UL and ND

I think the market for the ACC football product is a lot higher than any one would want to admit.

I know Navy is not a popular choice here but considering the Navy's national and international brand paired with ND and being in Maryland I can easily see Navy putting the ACC and an ACC network over the top of all conferences in revenue.

What say you on these issues?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: ACC Network, state popluation, Notre Dame, Navy and UL

Jan 31, 2013, 11:52 AM

The ACC's potential network is huge if it follows the B1G network structure. The problem is the B1G network structure is not as advantages to the provider as they orignally thought. If the ACC can somehow work out a similar deal their network would be worth more than a similar SEC network because of markets.

Navy is a logical choice because of geography and the ND connection, but unless the ACC can get ND as full member by adding Navy it is not worth the move. Don't forget basketball does draw a large revenue (10M+ goes into the NCAA tournament conference pool every time a team makes the final 4). Unless you draw NDs football membership UConn may contribute more overall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Navy athletics are a joke. Navy cadets are no joke.

Jan 31, 2013, 12:02 PM

Let the Navy continue to produce the fine gentlemen that defend our freedoms every day but just stay out of ACC athletics.

It could be argued....

Jan 31, 2013, 1:09 PM

that Navy has the best football program in the state of Maryland.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

they are but that doesn't mean a whole lot***

Jan 31, 2013, 1:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad the changes were made.

Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 PM

It's become clear over the past several years UM is not motivated toward a winning athletic department.

UL obviously is. What needs to be said for ND except I wish they'd become fulltime ACC.

I still hate Swoffort, but a little less now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they are motivated but are broke

Jan 31, 2013, 1:28 PM

Debbie Yow essentially borrowed every dime she could and then hit the road to NC State. Unfortunately their basketball program which is their money maker went downhill at the end of Gary W run their and it hurt their giving big time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville is obviously a gain over Maryland

Jan 31, 2013, 1:14 PM

Both Louisville football and basketball are top 10 teams right now. Football at UL is on the rise. Maryland isn't going to be missed. The absolute only reason the ACC is making a big deal out of Maryland leaving is because of Clemson/FSU...nothing more.

I went to The Citadel...we played Navy, Army, and AF during my four years. Those were great trips and they've had a lot of success but I don't see them as national powers belonging in a "big" conference. I don't see them bringing a bump in ratings. Outside of the Navy/ND game and Army/Navy game who watches Navy play? Those are marquee games but you don't invite a team to play in your league that wouldn't be playing a game in your league that would draw eye balls.

I like the Navy idea. I think it would add eye-balls to TV

Jan 31, 2013, 1:19 PM

games and the occasional road-trip to the Annapolis area for a football game would be top-notch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

obviously

Jan 31, 2013, 1:44 PM

Maryland is serious about its athletic future or they would not bolt for more money. Navy adds little and the only game they play that gathers national interest is the Army game. Kentucky rules he state of Kentucky not Louisville. If Notre Dame is going to join a conference for all sports it will be the B1G. The ACC gave them what they wanted...out of the Big East and independent in football. None of you want to admit it but its true.

obviously youre biased and wrong***

Jan 31, 2013, 1:46 PM

Louisville run football in KY

Jan 31, 2013, 1:47 PM [ in reply to obviously ]

which is the money maker. UK hasn't done a thing except provide footprint. UL draws more in that regard

Clemson

Duke FB is only fan of this as NAVY would take last place

Jan 31, 2013, 1:52 PM

on a regular basis. Does Navy even have baseball, track, tennis & so on?

Jan 31, 2013, 1:58 PM

When it comes to money Louisville is the money in basketball. ESPN only cares about TV viewers. The bottomline is that and that alone. They would pick a game with 10,000 invthe stands over a game with 50,000 if the viewership was higher for the 10,000 game. Spectators mean nothing. They don't make money on ticket sales. Kentucky has a larger viewership than Louisville......period.

At this point in time, that's debateable

Jan 31, 2013, 2:04 PM

Kentucky does not produce exciting football. The ONLY thing they have going for them are games where they play teams like bama and FL. And even then, half of those games are home games assuming there isn't a better game on at the time (which there probably will be). Louisville is a gaining program.

Like you said, I bet Louisville's stadium is smaller than UKs (didn't look it up, though). But the quality of play Louisville provides RIGHT NOW is higher. So unless the Wildcats are playing a high-profile game at home, I don't think viewers in KY are going to focus on them.

Clemson

2 problems with your arguments

Jan 31, 2013, 3:39 PM [ in reply to 2011 ]

as we know in this state people who hate the other team watch the games hoping they will lose as much as people who love the other team watches them hoping to win.

I mean take yourself as an example. You come to a Clemson message board give yourself a cryptic gamecock name and post as Clemson fan. Please don't tell me you don't watch Clemson football games.

2nd. A high quality opponent or highly ranked opponent draws eyeballs from the competition. UL will cause the other ACC states increased viewership for espn.

UL adds to the ACC. period.

the problem the SEC network is running into as well as the ACC is viewing on other platforms.

Internet TV will cripple the BTN in the next ten years as well as making the SEC and ACC networks on par with it all at much lower profits.

Hope you enjoy your fifth place rings

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

It is still a part of the SEC so

Jan 31, 2013, 2:23 PM

..so it carries that weight and in Kentucky people follow Kentucky more than Louisville. Thats all that matters.....who will watch who first.

I think many fans will watch Louisville over UK anytime

Jan 31, 2013, 2:41 PM

UNLESS, as I have said, UK is playing an SEC power such as Bama or FL. I don't completely understand if you think there are more patrons to UL games, why shouldn't there be more TV viewers as well?

Clemson

Jan 31, 2013, 2:27 PM

The only reason this matters is if the ACC starts their own network. It would be a hard sell in Kentucky and other SEC states if the SEC is already there.

Nobody wants to watch UK football...much rather see U of L

Jan 31, 2013, 2:29 PM

whip another sec team

cupton

Jan 31, 2013, 2:34 PM

I know you want to believe that but....I said if the SEC has their TV package in place then the ACC is not going to sell their there.

I think you'd want both

Jan 31, 2013, 2:38 PM

People seem to do in in SC, GA, FL...and it's not a stretch to call UL football better than UK

Clemson

Jan 31, 2013, 3:33 PM

I agree with you that Louisville has a better team but that is a secondary issue with regards to viewership. I would atch Louisville first but I don't live in Kentucky. These packages will be solr on a state by state deal through the cable or satilite provider. They will be the ones to decide and if they already have the SEC then charginging their susribers extra for an ACC network may not fiy.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic