Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 91
| visibility 1

New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"

Apr 4, 2017, 4:04 PM

Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"

Mel Kiper doesn’t think Deshaun Watson is ready for the NFL, and he says there is a reason Watson didn’t win the Heisman. The NFL draft analyst was a guest on ESPN’s First Take Tuesday, and Kiper and fellow draft analyst Todd McShay both said Watson is lacking when it comes to being ready to lead an NFL franchise.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"

Apr 4, 2017, 4:09 PM

Hmm...
So Jackson is NFL ready

There's a reason why Kiper isn't a NFL GM.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"

Apr 4, 2017, 4:14 PM

On the other hand, Watson wouldn't have gotten shut down by Kentucky's defense...

Just sayin'.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:28 PM

And Watson would not have coughed it up at the end of the game like Action Jackson.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason" ]

Of course Action Jackson is ready- ready to get seriously hurt. Think RG3.

Apr 4, 2017, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason" ]

I am just waiting for Deshaun to show why he can be a great QB in the NFL. What others say about him is talk. Lets see what Deshaun does and can do in the NFL games.

Flashy vs' consistency as a winner.

Apr 4, 2017, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason" ]

So Mel are you saying Lamar was a better passer? More accurate? More deserving? Lmao!!!! GTFOH!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kiper and Mc Shay must be on the cut line...

Apr 4, 2017, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Mel Kiper says Deshaun Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason" ]

Hope someone above them birdies 18 and they fall below the cut.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:09 PM

I'm ready for all these "experts" to stop spewing their minds and for the NFL draft to be over wth so Deshaun can finally put these idiots to bed when he lights up the league.

Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, and

Apr 4, 2017, 4:24 PM

RG3 say "Howdy!"

And Clausen...don't forget Clausen....that was their can't

Apr 4, 2017, 5:17 PM

miss guy...

Re: And Clausen...don't forget Clausen....that was their can't

Apr 5, 2017, 2:51 PM

Did you say Clausen was a Miss guy?

I seriously wonder if an NFL General Manager or Coach...

Apr 4, 2017, 4:12 PM

would make it three seasons without being fired if he drafted on Kiper and McShay's advice!

Reason #1 - the Heisman Voters are a Joke.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:12 PM

Reason #2 - the Heisman Voters are Lazy.
Reason #3 - the Heisman Voters are Stupid. Twice.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kiper's hair spray has affected his thinking.***

Apr 4, 2017, 4:13 PM

Kiper's hair spray has affected his thinking.***~this~lmao!***

Apr 4, 2017, 11:09 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Lamar Jackson is ready for the NFL?

Peyton Manning never won it either.

What an idiot.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: So Lamar Jackson is ready for the NFL?

Apr 4, 2017, 4:14 PM

Just remember, Eric Crouch and Tim Tebow both were Heisman winning quarterbacks.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:38 PM [ in reply to So Lamar Jackson is ready for the NFL? ]

Did Tom Brady, John Unitas, Brett Favre, Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Fran Tarkenton, Ken Stabler, John Elway, Eli Manning, Phil Simms ever win Heismans? NO, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!! Seems like a lot of qbs who ended up winning the "prestigious" award turned out to be a bunch of stiffs in the NFL.

The Best Answer!

Apr 4, 2017, 6:32 PM

I love this answer! I swear I was thinking this exactly! DW is a natural leader who wants to " dominate ". I believe that is his favorite word. You have to think a player who will want to win despite having millions in the bank here. Which means, he will do everything in his power to be the best. Extra practice. Extra film. Working with teammates in the off season. All of that.

Guess since Tom Brady and the rest of the above list..........." didn't pan out " Watson is doomed, LOL @ these two clowns! ( heavy sarcasm)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2017, 5:25 PM [ in reply to So Lamar Jackson is ready for the NFL? ]

Speaking of Peyton, I am pretty sure this Kiper bag said that Ryan Leaf would be a better NFL QB than Manning.

I'm going to quit whining about the Heisman now.

Since I now know that it's the award given to 'The Most Ready To Start In The NFL' and not the award for the best overall player in COLLEGE football.

My mistake....carry on.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have long believed that Mel Kiper was an absolute moron...

Apr 4, 2017, 4:15 PM

This article just solidified it for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:16 PM

I'm still waiting for Jimmy Clausen to be a star after Kiper gushed over him a few years back. No credibility.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:21 PM

He's right and the reason was half the voters voted early and voted on what they saw in september.

Apr 4, 2017, 5:19 PM

+1

Can we stop putting this garbage on TNet?

Apr 4, 2017, 4:22 PM

We all know what these morons think. Tired of these 2 moronic fools acting as if they are some sort of authority that has never gotten anything wrong ever. One guy is a wannabe GM that if he was so good would have at least gotten a sniff, which he hasn't, and the other is a guy that couldn't hold Watson's jock on his best day at Richmond. We have all seen a hundred articles by these posers and I for one am sick of even reading their names because I dang sure don't read any of their opinions. I have watched every snap of Watson's so I don't need these idiots to try and feed me their bull blank. I don't know if Watson is going to be an All Pro or an All Dud but none of us will know for at least another 6 months at the earliest. I can turn on a tape and prove every one of their opinions wrong. If I ever see another opinion based article on these 2 putzes it will be too soon....

Im tired of Kipers obnoxious babble...but

Apr 4, 2017, 4:28 PM

he basically stated what we all said at some point this season....and I'd bet Watson would admit to it in an honest conversation. His accuracy was off at times and played carelessly more than once. However, he sharpened as the season went on and made waayy more great plays than bad ones.

Kiper is off base here in hammering his accuracy issues. You'd think Watson was a reckless player considering his evaluation.

Watson has zero accuracy issues. If you believe that it's for another reason***

Apr 4, 2017, 4:31 PM

### does that EVEN mean? Did you just insinuate he is a

Apr 4, 2017, 5:10 PM

racist because he said Watson had accuracy issues at times? Which racist or not, he most certainly did

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you watch our football team play at all last year?

Apr 11, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Watson has zero accuracy issues. If you believe that it's for another reason*** ]

just curious. He was off more than once. I dont think he has accuracy issues, but if you watch alot of film its very fair to question it from last year.

Hey Mel, just off the top of my head

Apr 4, 2017, 4:30 PM

RG3
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Johnny Manziel
Tim Tebow
Gino Toretta
Ty Detmer
Andre Ware

Say hi.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Apr 4, 2017, 4:33 PM

so he based winning the heisman on throwing...which just happens to be Jackson's greatest weakness.

shatpost

Apr 4, 2017, 4:34 PM

When has Kiper been right about anything? Watson's first ever touchdown pass is all you need to know about his accuracy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kiper always discredits certain "types" of QBs.***

Apr 4, 2017, 4:39 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2017, 4:40 PM

Don't waste our time by giving this talking head a forum. What's his bonafides as a judge of anything?

Apr 4, 2017, 4:43 PM

Deshaun's best bet is to be drafted by a team where he can learn and be mentored by a Brady, a Rodgers, or a Brees. If he's taken too early by the wrong team, as in Cleveland, Chicago, or San Francisco, he may not be healthy for very long. In the recent past, young QB's thrown into the fire of NFL competition without much offensive line protection, or a decent running game, risk confidence issues (don't think that would apply to Watson, who seems to have his head screwed on straight) along with serious or career ending injuries.

Apr 4, 2017, 4:44 PM

considering how many times Melanie Kiper and Todd Mcgay are wrong I would not put a lot of stock in anything they say. every year they look like fools on draft night and still make out like they know everything. I doubt many GM's are listening to anything they have to say. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a reason Kiper isn't an NFL GM. He doesn't

Apr 4, 2017, 4:48 PM

know enough about the game.

OMG!!!

Apr 4, 2017, 4:50 PM

Nm

Go back to the women's basketball board.***

Apr 4, 2017, 4:53 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I have just one thing to say to Mel..

Apr 4, 2017, 5:01 PM

Extra mayo on the sammich..

Yeah, he was considered a 2nd-3rd rd. pick at midseason

Apr 4, 2017, 5:13 PM

by YOU! Can't wait to see DW4 kick ###!

I wish I could get paid a lot of money to be an A$$hole***

Apr 4, 2017, 5:14 PM

Apr 4, 2017, 5:25 PM

Kiper has his opinion and is entitled to it. Now, I have my opinion of Kiper and am entitled to it, however, this is a clean venue and I will not soil the integrity of it or the Tigers by casting nasty verbiage all over Kiper's too much mousse hairdo. WHAT A MAROON!

Apr 4, 2017, 5:26 PM

Who in the h3ll is Mel Kiper?

That guy's got the credibility of my next door neighbor. And he's a plumber.

Kiper was given troll hair for a reason

Apr 4, 2017, 5:34 PM

Cuz he's a sperm-gulping mantroll

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2017, 5:51 PM

Many throws come to mind when talking about Deshaun's accuracy. Two that really stand out in my mind were:

1. 2015 ACC Championship (UNC) - From the 30 yard line, Watson rolls out to the right, to bait the defense, and then throws a beautiful strike, right down the sideline, to Artavis Scott in the endzone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gweo4MeVwXk

2.2015 National Championship (Alabama): At the 15 yard line, Watson takes the snap, waits for Renfrow to make his cut and then places the ball near the ground; Just high enough to where a diving Renfrow can make the catch, but low enough and away from the defending safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygro8Ra4ZmI

There are a million others that were just as good, if not better. I just don't understand what these "analysts" are seeing? Maybe someone sent them Jake Bentley's tape... They probably thought he was draft eligible since most people don't know that he's still supposed to be in the 9th grade.

Apr 4, 2017, 5:56 PM

Mel Kiper and a lot of those talking guys have no idea the heart of this guy, whoever passes on him is crazy, and whoever gets him has a gem.

Apr 4, 2017, 6:08 PM

So according to Mel Kiper all you have to do is put up big numbers at the beginning of the season and fall flat on your face at the end of the season and lose games that count. If you do this according to him you are worthy of winning the Heisman trophy. This is the problem with the media today, say what you want about a subject like D. Watson and ignorant people will listen to you and believe it.

To quote a great guy

Keep doubting me and you will have to face me on Sundays!!!

Apr 4, 2017, 6:22 PM

It is absolutely incredible that these idiots get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for the crap they produce. Amazing.

Does mr . McShay offer any reason why

Apr 4, 2017, 6:30 PM

Lamar Jackson should have won the Heisman ?

Re: Does mr . McShay offer any reason why

Apr 4, 2017, 6:33 PM

^^^^^^ correction , Kiper ????

Walt Deptula is better at player evaluation than Kiper or Mc

Apr 4, 2017, 6:32 PM

Shay.

I'd like to see some stats on their track records.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt! See what their "accuracy" rating is!***

Apr 5, 2017, 7:34 AM

Apr 4, 2017, 6:37 PM

Kiper is a know-nothing. Williams caught passes from Deshaun due to athletic ability and because Deshaun put the ball where defense would not have a chance to make a play!

Apr 4, 2017, 7:04 PM

Sounds like he got DW and Tahj mixed up lol

Apr 4, 2017, 7:05 PM

Mel Kiper needs his crayons and play doh......

Apr 4, 2017, 7:10 PM

So did he say what the reason was? I need the Cliffs Notes version please.

Mel Kiper?

Apr 4, 2017, 7:11 PM

Who is she?

Apr 4, 2017, 7:17 PM

Coming from the same experts that said Jared Goff, Johnny Manzel, Logan Thomas, Christian ponder, and countless other bums are "NFL ready QB's". We may as well have sign language speaking Monkeys analyzing NFL talent.

Apr 4, 2017, 7:46 PM

If Kiper wants a comeback....he'll have to scrape it off his mom's teeth.

(too harsh? Maybe? No?)

He said similar things about Cam back in the day

Apr 4, 2017, 7:47 PM

It's funny because also in this article Jon Gruden is praising Cam just like he praised Watson. Looks like history is repeating itself. Some people will never learn.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/918508-cam-newton-what-the-experts-were-saying-then-versus-now

Clearly is out of his skull.

Apr 4, 2017, 7:58 PM

Why doesn't he just come out and call DW4 a bum? That is obviously what he's been getting at since Watson declared for the NFL. He made a comme about the one guy being the sloppiness he's ever evaluated......evaluated?! Is he even qualified to evaluate anyone? Can anyjuan please educated me on Kiper's credentials?

Two tools that contradict themselves within

Apr 4, 2017, 8:16 PM

their body of work here.

Made in two games. What a joke; there is three years, not two games and the reason he didn't win the Heisman is because of the ESPiN hype machine on a few early games for Pete's sake.

Oh, and mites grow on a chickens ####.

Mel Kiper isn't employed as an NFL scout for a reason

Apr 4, 2017, 8:35 PM

F-R-A-U-D!

Apr 4, 2017, 8:42 PM

I am so sick of ESPN's bull$hit just to "spark" conversation and this ratings. Who gives a good $hit what these morons think? F them and their $500 ugly haircuts.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2017, 8:46 PM

Just a quick reminder of why Kiper is a joke.

He didn't even mention Brady as someone to look out for when the Patriots drafted him. Read the second article and stand amazed at who Kiper has thought would be hall-of-fame caliber. Deshaun is fortunate not to be in that company.

http://www.footballperspective.com/what-did-the-media-say-about-tom-brady-in-2000/

http://www.thesportster.com/football/mel-kipers-top-15-biggest-draft-mistakes/

Apr 4, 2017, 8:46 PM

Just a quick reminder of why Kiper is a joke.

He didn't even mention Brady as someone to look out for when the Patriots drafted him. Read the second article and stand amazed at who Kiper has thought would be hall-of-fame caliber. Deshaun is fortunate not to be in that company.

http://www.footballperspective.com/what-did-the-media-say-about-tom-brady-in-2000/

http://www.thesportster.com/football/mel-kipers-top-15-biggest-draft-mistakes/

Apparently bedroom slipper and no vocabulary...

Apr 4, 2017, 8:52 PM

Are what nfl franchises are looking for in leaders. What a joke. Mel don't you dare set foot in Clemson I'll personally run your sorry a$$ mouth out of town.

Apr 4, 2017, 8:57 PM

SOMEBODY ANYBODY tell these idiots to JUST SHUT-UP and GO AWAY....Go Tigers!!!!!

Nate Peterman didn't win it either...

Apr 4, 2017, 8:57 PM

So how is he better than Deshaun due to the fact Deshaun didn't win it? This guy makes no sense

Apr 4, 2017, 9:17 PM

Kiper proves once again what A Dumb ### he is with McShay not for behind.
NFL GM'S ( Bill Polian) think they are Jokes !

That hair spay addicted dumba$$ REALLY REALLY

Apr 4, 2017, 9:27 PM

needs to stop talking & McGay needs to go back to giving handjobs out under the bleachers & leave the NFL stuff to real commentators. They both always pick one person to just run in the ground and try to make them out to be the worst pick to ever come thru the draft. This yr they just so happen to pick the wrong guy for sure! I seriously fricken HATE those 2 POS's

Apr 4, 2017, 10:05 PM

Piper is a joke just like the hiesman is now. For anybody to say DW4 didn't Winn the hiesman for any other reason than ESPN love affair with Jackson is a idiot. Piper is and has always been a hack, DW4 is something Piper has never and will never be, a WINNER. Go Tigers, Thank You DW4, show them all how big if idiots they are.

Apr 4, 2017, 10:50 PM

Kiper says.... "from a knowledge stand point ".
Kiper has no knowledge.
And one of the idiots sez his ENTIRE reputation is from the two championship games! Don't these two morons realize people actually read this trash.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh do tell us about your playing career Melvin?

Apr 4, 2017, 11:06 PM

I loathe the so called experts who never put it on the line.

Joe Montana. Peyton Manning. Tom Brady. Cam Newton. Doug Williams. Tony Romo. Dak Prescott.

Apr 5, 2017, 1:04 AM

Joe Flacco. Russell Wilson. Eli Manning. Kirk Cousins. Drew Brees.
Kurt Warner.
Some of these guys went 1st round, some went late rounds, some were not even drafted. But all the experts said they were not NFL type qb's. They just wouldn't make the transition. Too much difference between college and the pros.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

If that Vaseline head really thinks Lamar Jackson is more

Apr 5, 2017, 6:46 AM

ready for the NFL than Deshaun Watson, he really should be unplugged from the machine and allowed to expire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says the guy that has never played a down of football******

Apr 5, 2017, 8:20 AM

Apr 5, 2017, 9:10 AM

The reason, idiot voters listening to idiots on espn,i.e Kiper, McGay,boogers,etc

So Jackson is ready for the NFL?***

Apr 5, 2017, 9:20 AM

Mel Kiper is a D-I-C-K head.***

Apr 5, 2017, 9:32 AM

Getting endorsed by Mel Kiper is like

Apr 5, 2017, 11:59 AM

getting picked by Lee Corso to win a football game. You just hope it never happens.

Every time this opens his mouth he looks even dumber!***

Apr 5, 2017, 12:20 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson put up big numbness because of his recievers?

Apr 5, 2017, 1:29 PM

He needs to take a look back at his freshman year. Compare when he was in the game vs when Cole Stout was playing. How many games did Cole have 400yds passing because of the receivers he had?

numbers=numbness d@mmm you aurocorrect***

Apr 5, 2017, 1:35 PM

Hey Kiper, you wanna know who's got accuracy issues?

Apr 5, 2017, 1:45 PM

You and McShay. If there was any data to track on your picks, you'd get exposed. And I'm sure that's why your projections are immediately deleted as the draft unfolds. I always enjoy your commentary during the draft when you're puzzled as to why someone is till left on the board for a couple of rounds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Apr 5, 2017, 2:24 PM

Ahem...
https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/29/mel-kiper-stands-by-his-assessment-of-jimmy-clausen/amp/

Watson "didn't win the Heisman for a reason"

Apr 5, 2017, 3:49 PM

Did this come out of Kipers mouth or was it Kipers 1960 hair-do that said it? (BRIL CREME) Get a clue! Both of you are over-analytical know it all's and people are tired of your on the air stupidity!

Apr 5, 2017, 3:54 PM

Once again...someone should create a website tracking these talking head predictions. Once everyone see statistically how inaccurate they are, they'll either get fired or stop getting website clicks.

Apr 5, 2017, 6:55 PM

Mel Kiper is an idiot and proves it year in and year out. Where was he on Dan Prescott? 'Nough said!

Replies: 91
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic