Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At The End Of The 2nd Quarter-What It?s Truly About
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Oct 15, 2007, 1:45 PM

Scott Rhymer takes a look at the first half of the Clemson footbal season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Scott Rhymer for a voice of reason out of all the

Oct 15, 2007, 2:10 PM

noise.

I have widgets and gidgets half off if anybody needs some.***

Oct 15, 2007, 2:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only pay FACE value for widgets.***

Oct 15, 2007, 2:14 PM

Re: At The End Of The 2nd Quarter-What It?s Truly About

Oct 15, 2007, 2:18 PM

I'm with you Scott and I will not miss one second of the rest of '07.

GO TIGERS !!

I feel better after reading this.

Oct 15, 2007, 2:20 PM

Thanks for the perspective adjustment. GO TIGERS!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2007, 2:20 PM

That is the perspective of a true fan.

Great read. I feel the same way.

Oct 15, 2007, 2:23 PM

Thanks, Scott, for helping bring it all back into perspective. See you Saturday, and GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2007, 2:23 PM

Amen and ditto - Thank you

Go Tigers!!!

(Need I remind folks of the Alumni motto - Ever Loyal)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Gosh...I am not sure I buy that***

Oct 15, 2007, 2:29 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

KUMBAYA***

Oct 15, 2007, 2:25 PM

So just shut up and take it like a man?

Oct 15, 2007, 2:26 PM

I'm sure almost everyone (including the booing fans and those of us calling for regime change) is hoping that Clemson will win the rest of their games, take revenge on VT or GT in the ACC championship game, and go on to win a BCS bowl, if not the national title. And I think that the vast majority of the people who care enough to complain, will watch and cheer the football team the rest of the season. But I don't think it's reasonable to ask-- or realistic to expect-- everyone to just shut up if they think the coaches are letting everyone down.

Re: So just shut up and take it like a man?

Oct 15, 2007, 2:46 PM

Anyone who isn't upset hasn't invested enough emotionally into Clemson football. Furthermore, I don't need a self righteous lecture from a Dr. Phil type.

Who isn't upset? That doesn't mean that the way everyone

Oct 15, 2007, 2:50 PM

will express themselves is by screaming, stomping their feet and pouting like a two year old.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who isn't upset? That doesn't mean that the way everyon

Oct 15, 2007, 3:05 PM

but some will

Very long winded, phew, but....

Oct 15, 2007, 2:29 PM

The best part IMO was that the players did not quit during that game. They kept fighting.

A combination of bad play on our part, good play on the opponent's part, and horrendously bad officiating put us in an unsurmountable hole early. It would have been very easy to give up and get absolutely routed, but they did what they could to stay in it.

So we stand at 4-2. Fortunately the team shows more spirit in toughing it out than many of the fans.

Great article...So True.

Oct 15, 2007, 2:48 PM

We are a country with rights. We obviously have the right to rant and rave and call for people's heads. But with every "right" comes a result when we exercise it. What is the consequence of our ranting and raving? Rhymer gave input when it comes to the media. What about the fans? We would be naive to think it has no impact. Do we want to be part of the problem...or part of the solution? No ranting and raving will truly cause TDP to do anything any differently. As Rhymer has said, the coaches and administration know full well what they have to do.

Our job as fans is to be supportive. Even when our children disappoint us, we still love them and are supportive of them. Even when we ourselves mess up as parents, we need to adjust and refocus for what is best for our kids. This has nothing to do with responsibility or accountability. This has to do with helping with improvement. As fans, we are like extended family, and we should be a BENEFIT to the players and coaches. We can voice disappointment and disapproval of PERFORMANCE while still voicing SUPPORT for the coaches and players.

What will work best? A disgruntled and "out of control" fanbase--or a mature, controlled, and supporting fanbase?

The coaches and players know better than we where they fall short. I don't blame them if they don't admit it all to the media as described by Rhymer. Perhaps if they were treated better, they might be more candid. But make no mistake: They know...and they know well...their shortcomings.

I've seen no evidence that we have any coach who wants to sabotage our season. I have seen no evidence that any player does, either. They haven't ditched us yet as fans (which is admirable)--and we need to be mutually supportive as well. I know most of the fans have not called out players (except for the continuous postings about Korn vs Harper), but by "spewing venom" about the coaches and all, we are hurting the players.

Fans' encouragement to coaches as much as players? I'm sure that would be a welcomed change. Who knows? Maybe it will energize everyone.

We support the team, but not necessarily Spence & Bowden.

Oct 15, 2007, 4:24 PM

I think practically every Clemson fan supports the players and will cheer them on to win every game from here on. I haven't heard one fan say, "I've given up on the team," or "I'm not going to watch anymore Clemson games," or "Our players stink," or "I'm going to cheer for our opponents from now on." I just hear a lot of people saying that Bowden has led Clemson to nine years of mediocrity and has squandered the outstanding player talent with poor coaching year after year. I also hear many of those same fans giving Bowden credit for recruiting top tier players and running a clean program. I think it's fair and reasonable for people to voice such opinions.

Oct 15, 2007, 2:52 PM

The positive point of this article is that there are still 6 games left in the season, a chance at a 10 win season, an outside chance at a Division/ACC championship and the chance to go to a New Years Day Bowl.

But the talent of this team requires a much higher level of play. This team is typical of Bowden teams in the past. And Bowden continually finds ways to pass blame to the players.

The difference between a good team and a great team is a coach. Take South Carolina for example. Talent wise they are average, but add a great coach like Spurrier and you have a top 10 team. In his 3rd year Spurrier has Carolina competeing for a title in the toughest conference in College football.

Bowden has had 9 years to get that coveted ACC champtionship and that elusive national title and he hasn't even come close. His teams; despite national championship talent, have always underachieved. That is coaching. Nothing else.

Hasn't even come close ? YAY - MORE new posters-YAY US ! ! !***

Oct 15, 2007, 9:16 PM

Oct 17, 2007, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: At The End Of The 2nd Quarter-What It?s Truly About ]

USC WILL FALL IN AT LEAST 2 MORE SEC GAMES. PLEASE PUT YOUR TICKETS UP FOR SALE. I WOULD HATE TO SEE A SWELL GUY LIKE YOU SUFFER.........

Oct 15, 2007, 2:55 PM

Amen and I hope the Fanbase gets it!

Oct 15, 2007, 3:01 PM

Great article, Scott! I too was proud of the Clemson team last Saturday as they did not give up by any means. I still wear my Clemson ring and orange with pride and hope for the best for the rest of the season. In all honesty, it was quite nice to sit in Death Valley during the 3rd and 4th quarters last week and be surrounded by fellow optimists and Clemson supporters because all of the pessimists and those who bring the team, coaches, and fellow fans down had left the game at halftime. Go Tigers!

Oct 15, 2007, 3:15 PM

I'm still pretty angry about the number of fans who left early last Saturday. They missed one hell of a second half. I wish more of those fans would read this article. This was very well written and brought a lot into perspective for me. Like many of you, I was absolutely livid after the first half of this game, but I love Clemson Football. Always have and always will until the day I die.

I hate seeing our boys lose just as much as the next fan, but I never give up on our team. Like Scott said, the team played their GUTS out during that second half. Personally I think if it weren't for the horrendous special teams plays, we would have won this game. No matter how good or bad Bowden does, there will always be talk about a new coach and how he's not getting the job done. We still have 6 games left to be played folks, let's not give up on our most beloved Tigers. Let's fill the stadium up on Homecoming and show Central Michigan what Clemson Football and Tradition is about. Everyone needs to get off the band wagon of needing a new coaching staff, and yada, yada, yada and worry about the next 6 games.

We still have a chance to have a great season, we've only lost 2 games!!!!! There are teams in the top 25 that have two losses now. For crying out loud Florida State was #21 up until this past weekend. Out of adversity comes triumph and I have the optimism that we'll win out the rest of our games and go to the ACCCG. We can beat BC at home, we can beat Wake at home, we can beat Maryland and Duke both on the road. We can do it folks. Let's stop sulking about losing to VT (as bad as it did suck), pick our heads up and hold them high because we are Tigers, and we are the best d@mn fans in the nation. GO TIGERS!

Was this by Scott?

Oct 15, 2007, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: At The End Of The 2nd Quarter-What It?s Truly About ]

Either way, I completely agree. Great article!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was this by Scott?

Oct 15, 2007, 9:03 PM

Oh, Scott Rhymer....nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2007, 3:10 PM

Thanks! Great perspective...

There are worse football stadiums than Duke

Oct 15, 2007, 3:11 PM

The town is seedy, but the campus is really pretty. And the stadium is not that bad and is among the most family friendly in the ACC. You can spread out and let the kids run everywhere and nobody cares and then when Clemson loses by a FG you can actually walk down to field
and cuss out TB and he can actually hear you. Not bad!

Although I do live for Saturday this time of year, you are

Oct 15, 2007, 4:34 PM

right on target with this one. Kudos

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2007, 5:44 PM

#1 --"Contemplating Life with another football coach" is a lame quote. This article is a waste of time. And quite frankly, your opinion doesn't matter any more than those "widget and gidget" makers (who pay their hard earned money for tix) who you just sort of insulted.

#2 --Most of us aren't "hanging on every quote" of Tommy Bowden's but when the man says he's only had one punt blocked here, and the fact is...its more like 9, 10 or more...I don't have to psychoanalyze anything. He's just lying or in denial or both.

#3 --The evil media has Tommy pegged. You should wake up, and stop demonizing the media. You ARE the media....last I checked you were on a radio program that likes to "sell " ads, and you get to post articles on TigerNet. Two "Mediums" that I nor any other Joe Schmoe have the opportunity to use to communicate.

#4 --Everyone loves the players. Everyone hopes beyond hope that we win. Everyone invests heavily. Everyone has the right to be entirely negative, when we're giving away 10-20 points per game on Special Teams, and 2 of the top 10 running backs in the country can't touch the ball.

Oct 15, 2007, 6:50 PM

I'll bring the Juicy Juice and a snack for everyone at the next home game and I hope everyone gets to play. Can we all just get along, and maybe sing some songs.

Oct 15, 2007, 7:51 PM

A total waste of typing for Mr. Rhymer He didn't say anything. The team's performance has not been up to anyone's expectations. Tommy is the head coach and is highly paid. He's responsible. Someone making over $1,000,000 a year should expect to have feedback about his job. Tommy's responses to each debacle are to point fingers at various players. These are the players he recruited with the buildings he and TDP built. If he would "man up" and take some responsibility the fan bsse wouldn't be so hard on him. It's sad, but one of his strongest traits is the ability to spin results so that they don't point at him. So far he has been successful.

Maybe Tommy would be better

Oct 16, 2007, 6:21 AM

served as a politician.

Oct 15, 2007, 9:16 PM

Great article. It's okay to be disappointed but bailing out and giving up mid-season is counter-productive.

Go Tigers

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO ONE is bailing or giving up

Oct 16, 2007, 6:27 AM

I rather like the fact that our fan-base can be self-critical. Something our country would be well-served to do.

No one is giving up on the season. We will pay our money and come to the games so that our Winkopp overlords can reamain happy. How much of this hyper-sensitivity to criticism is caused by fear of a bad image or financial repercussions anyway?

Because no one can watch the actual games and say its been "encouraging"

Great article. Thanks !***

Oct 15, 2007, 9:19 PM

Oct 15, 2007, 11:03 PM

I have to agree. Enjoy the rest of the year and see what happens. If changes need to be made then, I'm sure the "brass" will handle it. It kills me to see the Tigers struggle and lose games we should win, but I'm going to support them and I know things will be corrected one way or the other.

GO TIGERS!!

Scott you tend to explain things the way I feel about them..

Oct 17, 2007, 9:12 AM

I was also down the other night and had some harsh words to say. I never said we needed to fire a coach though. I did however say that changes needed to be made by someone up top. I think we need to see leadership here and taking control and motivate. We have 6 games left and we CAN win those games!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic