Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there any way we don't recieve the kick?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Is there any way we don't recieve the kick?

Aug 28, 2013, 11:35 AM

If Georgia wins the toss, I would think they would love to defer, and if we get the kick, I would think that Chad wants the ball to start. However, I believe that with the excitement surrounding the game, if Georgia had ball first the Valley would be deafening, and would lead to a great chance for a quick stop right out of the gate...

Thoughts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree.***

Aug 28, 2013, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a fan of deferring, for multiple reasons

Aug 28, 2013, 11:39 AM

To make it successful, you need to
A) Stop UGA on first drive.
B) Score at the end of the 1st half
C) Score at the beginning of the 2nd half

Personally I like getting the ball first after halftime. Obviously the danger in all this is UGA scoring first and then we have to play from behind. But this team is more than capable in being patient and taking the lead if that happens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there any way we don't recieve the kick?

Aug 28, 2013, 11:41 AM

I don't think there's anyway in heII that UGA lets us get the ball first if they win the toss. Richt wants to slow down the game and he's going to get the ball and attempt to do that from the beginning with a run a game.

We either 1. need to be very very very loud.

or 2. win the coin toss...

I agree with you! UGA has as good an offense as we do and I

Aug 28, 2013, 11:53 AM

think that they would be chomping at the bit to show off their offense and try to score first! but....the crowd at DV will be STRONG at the beginning of the game and I don't know if that approach is going to work.

Agreed. Plus I really want our defense to set the tone

Aug 28, 2013, 11:42 AM

think how loud it would be if Georgia went 3 and out on their first drive

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Aug 28, 2013, 11:43 AM

uga will take the ball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%. We have scored on an opening drive against South Carolina several times only to have them take over the game. The thought that my having the ball first we'll tire out Georgia's D is just stupid. I would rather tire them out to start the second half (3Q) when have lost games (FSU / SC / Auburn in the past).

Re: Re: Is there any way we don't recieve the kick?

Aug 28, 2013, 11:47 AM

Wow has anyone ever called you a jerk?

only the people that know him***

Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 AM

Aug 28, 2013, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Re: Is there any way we don't recieve the kick? ]

that seems a bit uncalled for....

Aug 29, 2013, 9:35 AM

What calling people stupid for no reason? I agree

I'd rather go on defense first and let the crowd be

deafening right from the get go.

Question

Aug 28, 2013, 11:45 AM

And I am serious. If deferring is such a big deal, why don't NFL teams do it? I hate it. Take the ball, go up 7, and have the other team playing from behind the whole game.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

NFL teams do defer.

Aug 28, 2013, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure about all teams but I watch every Patriots game (keep your feelings about that to yourselves, ha) and they defer all the time. Here is a snippet from an article about them deferring.

"But 09/07/08 is noteworthy for another reason, one that even diehard Patriots statniks might not know about. It’s the last time the Patriots won the coin toss and elected to receive the football.

Since that day, the Patriots have played 65 games, playoffs included, and won the coin toss 28 times. All 28 times, they’ve elected to defer their choice to the second half, and started the game by kicking off."

Re: NFL teams do defer.

Aug 28, 2013, 11:58 AM

I remember watching a Patsy (ooops lol) game and thinking how odd it was. I think I saw the Ravens do it also. But these are the exceptions. I would bet it is 98% take the ball in the NFL and it is much more like 50/50 in college. I would just think that one group or the other would have figured out some sort of mathematics behind it to decide which is best.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Agreed.

Aug 28, 2013, 12:00 PM

There must be some statistics out there on it. I just don't want to be the guy to compile them!

I think deferring is bigger in college because momentum will

Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Question ]

play a bigger role in the tight college games. If a team scores right near the end of the first half, and gets the ball to start second half, that can be a HUGE momentum shift.

Scoring first to take a 3-0 or 7-0 lead isn't nearly as big of a momentum shifter. Many teams have trailed early to come back to win. But I'd reckon a guess that in tight games, if a team scores right at end of first half and to begin second half, they won most of those games.

This is from an article written in the middle of last Nov

Aug 28, 2013, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Question ]

"Interestingly, NFL coaches are divided about the value of receiving the football to start a game. Through the 2007 season it was a virtual given that teams would accept the opening kickoff if they won the coin toss. But the decision became less clear-cut in '08, when the league adopted the college-style format that allows the toss-winning club to defer possession until the start of the second half.

In the first year of the change, according to Massey-Peabody Analytics, 38 percent of NFL teams deferred. The figure inched up to 41.8 percent last season, and through last Sunday's games it was at 51.3 percent."

Also...

"Since the start of the 2010 season, flip-winning clubs that have opted to receive first are 185-209 (.470), versus 140-115 (.549) for those deferring."

Aug 28, 2013, 11:52 AM

I would defer for the reasons below. 3 & out on the opening drive is a momentum/confidence killer.

I think it's important that we get the early lead. Richt

Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 AM

has stated that he'd like to chew up the clock on their drives to keep our offense on the field, even if it means them getting 3 & outs. Getting the ball first gives us the opportunity to take an early lead, and once Georgia gets behind, the idea of letting the time bleed becomes less appealing.

If I'm Dabo I defer and if I'm UGA I take the ball.

Aug 28, 2013, 11:58 AM

First game of the season and an electric atmosphere. Very likely the players will be over-hyped to start. For Clemson, this could cause some problems with passing game. For UGA, it's not as big a deal because they're going to try to establish run first.

Also, you have to think about the fact that opening kickoff will likely be a touchback, so you start at 25. If you play D first, and can get a 3-out, you have a chance to maybe get better field position.

would love to see us sack them on the first couple plays

Aug 28, 2013, 12:34 PM

Place would go nuts

Aug 29, 2013, 9:46 AM

I think we (UGA) might defer for a couple reasons... Aaron Murray can come out a little overhyped at times and it affects his accuracy and letting you guys have the ball first might allow the crowd to quiet down some (and if they dont it would probably not help your offense on he field).

Conversely, our offense unit is the veteran unit and we will likely try to run the ball a good bit to start the game so early game jitters might not be a concern for the coaches depending on our game plan...also, a young over-hyped defense (UGA's that is) could be primed to get hit by a big play from Clemson if we are overaggressive to start the game...

Shoot I dunno.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic