Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NFL question for the experts on T-Net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 907

NFL question for the experts on T-Net

Apr 21, 2020, 9:30 AM

I've had this questions several times since BO'B made the worst trade in NFL history, but thought it was stupid so I've kept it to myself. Today I just can't hold it in any longer because DW4 has given me the most dangerous of things... hope. I always thought that a player could not be traded during their first contract and that the team had the option to place the franchise tag at the end of the contract and force the player to stay with the team for an extra year or maybe more. I don't pretend to be an NFL expert. I'm a Dolphins fan from Bob Griese days when I was just a little girl watching with my daddy, but honestly didn't watch many NFL games at all until DW4 was drafted and I started following the Texans as much as someone without the NFL Ticket living on the East Coast can. So the hope - DW4 wore a Marino Miami Dolphins shirt to a workout at a gym, which caught Dan Marino's attention and led to speculation. The question - Is it possible Miami can give up one of their 1st round picks and trade for DW4 this year? I understand the likelihood is that they use one of those first-round picks on Tua or Justin Herbert, but I just want to know if it's possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting question...to be honest, though

Apr 21, 2020, 9:58 AM

I'm equally intrigued by those who will identify themselves as 'experts'. Could be an eye-opener...or great comedy. Anyway...gonna grab some popcorn and wait! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not an expert

Apr 21, 2020, 10:13 AM

But I'm not aware of any such stipulation.

For example, the Dolphins traded Laremy Tunsil to the Texans last year while he was in the final year of his rookie deal to acquire draft picks from Houston.

Franchise tag can be applied to any player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, not just players at the end of rookie contracts.

As for your other question, it would take much more than a round 1 pick to acquire DW4. Outside of Patrick Mahomes, DW4 would probably demand more in trade than any other player in the league right now. It would take 2 of Miami's round 1 picks plus a 1st or 2nd next year plus some 3/4 round picks this year or next. Thus it's unlikely to happen. Below is a hypothetical trade between the Pats and Texans for Watson. As you can see he'd command a lot in a deal this year.

Patriots receive: QB Deshaun Watson, 2021 sixth-round pick
Texans receive: 2020 first-round pick, 2021 first-round pick, 2021 third-round pick, 2021 fourth-round pick, 2022 second-round pick, OG Joe Thune

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not an expert

Apr 21, 2020, 11:27 AM

You're definitely correct about trade value. I can't imagine anyone giving up what it "should" take to get DW4. That said, with BOB at the helm, if I was any team looking for their qb of the future, I'd at least put an offer out there. BOB is an idiot and would probably trade Deshaun for 1 first round pick, and Fitzpatrick...

I don't know anything about restrictions on trading someone in their rookie contracts. I do know that first rounders all have a 5th year option that the teams can pick up, and aren't eligible for an extension until after their 3rd season. Many quality players will get that extension after 3 years, and it's not an issue, but for a lesser known player, they will often pick up the extension to keep him for "cheap" for an extra year.

It's pretty crazy what guys like DW4 and Mahomes are getting paid right now in comparison to some other mediocre QBs. Mahomes is making around 2.8 mil this year (averaged around 4.1 mil with original signing bonus), while DW4 is making 2.5 averaging around 3.5 per year.

Compare that to guys like Kirk Cousins and Jacoby Brissett making 28 million/year and it's pretty ridiculous. Granted, they will both get extensions at 30-40 mil per year, probably within the next year, but those rookie contracts are brutal for star players. Even Trubisky is making 4.5 this year, and averaged 7.2 (more than double DW4) over his career so far. Obviously, his extension/second contract won't compare, but imagine if DW4 or Mahomes had suffered a severe injury ending his playing career... There's no reason Trubisky should be making more than those guys right now.

p.s. I'm not sure if any of the above info changed with the new CBA. Hopefully they made it a little more reasonable in favor of the young athletes being able to negotiate their contracts sooner.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/how-nfls-rookie-wage-scale-restricts-a-player-like-drew-lock-from-future-earnings

Message was edited by: CU13®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NFL question for the experts on T-Net

Apr 21, 2020, 10:44 AM

BOB, despite all logic, prefers proven commodities vs building through the draft. In his time as GM, which is less than 1 year, he has traded away 2 first rounds picks, 2 second rounds picks, and 2 third round picks. As a coach, he also refuses to get most of his rookies the snaps analytics say they should receive. Think Duke Johnson, Keke Coutee, and worse of all Tom Savage over DW4. Unless the McNairs try to force him into acquiring draft picks it seems unlikely he would ever trade his star for something he sees so little value in.

Re: NFL question for the experts on T-Net

Apr 21, 2020, 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm going to hope that BO'B's stupidity plays to my favor for once and he'll trade himself out of his star QB and that the Dolphins start the '20-'21 season with DW4, Wilkins, Shaq Lawson, Cordrea Tankersley, Isaiah Simmons, John Simpson, and Tee Higgins on the roster.

*** I found out from a FB quiz that my Quarantine Theme Song is Eye of the Tiger so maybe it will happen. :)

(*** #1 song on your 12th birthday - :))

AFAIK he could be traded, but it would be so expensive

Apr 21, 2020, 12:17 PM

i just can't see it happening. The Texans almost certainly want to keep him so they probably woulnd't even entertain offers, but if they did he would likely cost something equivalent to at least four 1st round picks.

The Texans have a 5th year option on Watson for the 2021 season, but, unless they are really, really stupid, they will try to extend him next year and not let it get to that point. In theory i think they could exercise the 2021 option and then tag him in 2022, but that would never actually happen because it would just #### him off so much he would force his way out. You just can't treat a star player like that.

I don't know what happens though if Watson tells them after the 2020 season that he wants to leave rather than extending. That could get pretty messy and there's really no precedent for it. Think back on all of the young QBs in the last 20 or so years that have become stars... i can't think of a single one that didn't extend. Peyton, Brady, Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Rodgers, Luck, etc all stayed and resigned with the teams that drafted them. The only one i can think of that didn't was Drew Brees and he was traded because the Chargers were afraid of his shoulder injury. Oops.

I would love to see him get away from Houston though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 907
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic