Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA’s slow evolution...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

NCAA’s slow evolution...

Aug 22, 2018, 2:08 PM

The new transfer rules are the beginning of the end for the NCAA. Players are going to be whistleblowers every year now regarding infractions. Everything the school organization does or refrains from doing will be documented. The NCAA is without the resources to regulate compliance externally. They need a school’s internal compliance departments to aid their efforts. However, few schools will do more than slap their own wrists. The NCAA’s lack of regulatory ability and the new transfer amendments have created a free-market economy. Players have more power than ever. See Texas A&M, see Josh Bell, see Ole Miss. the O’Bannon law suit.

For a moment, consider the current amendments to player stipends (now larger), easier transfer policies, and an earlier signing period. All of this creates more transparency, which actually aids in empowering the student-athlete.

European youth athletic organizations keep mutually-exclusive the relationship between athletics and education. Sports are business organizations. Schools are schools. The NCAA is going to have their hand forced into paying players more money and allowing free-market transfers. It will evolve into a semi-professional organization that offers stipends and a free education.

Thoughts?

Message was edited by: badkitty85®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA’s slow evolution...

Aug 22, 2018, 2:11 PM

Or we will have students at various schools making up crap against the school they are trying to leave

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 22, 2018, 2:20 PM

Or we will have students at various schools making up crap against the school they are trying to leave

I think you restated my argument in your own fashion. However the scope of this conversation extends beyond the single aspect of your response. I’d like to hear more about your thoughts on the future of the NCAA.

Why be nasty?

Aug 22, 2018, 2:29 PM

You said "whistleblowers" in your original post, but I don't see where you "discussed" false accusations and the time and resources that they will inevitably waste. Maybe you should have mentioned "red herrings".

Re: Why be nasty?

Aug 22, 2018, 2:34 PM

I wasn’t trying to be nasty. After reviewing my original response my words could be interpreted as sarcastic. That was unintentional. To correct this error I restated my intention. I’d enjoy hearing more of Jeancoopers thoughts on the future of the NCAA.

Re: Why be nasty?

Aug 22, 2018, 2:43 PM

Didn’t mean for it to post so many times. I think the NCAA is going to have to redefine transfer rules or roll back what they just implemented. As it is now we had Belk most likely lie about a sick mama to force Clemson to release the crybaby because he wasn’t going to be a starter. You have a person at aTM alleging all kinds of things, including the coaches talk mean to him, give me a f”n break. This will end college football as we know it because players will be transferring in and out of schools all year. A coach wouldn’t know who the hell they will have on their teams. How do you prepare for opponents when you don’t know who the players are. Every little crybaby that doesn’t get the attention they think they deserve will start the “he’s being mean to me crap”

Aug 22, 2018, 2:12 PM

Aug 22, 2018, 2:12 PM

Aug 22, 2018, 2:57 PM

That too. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 2:34 PM

Texas A&M got a new coach who brought in a new system that doesn't provide the same sort of positive attributes to some of these players to display their skill set for the NFL and they deserve the opportunity to go where they'd be best benefited. Ole Miss paid their players for years and got caught and then lied straight to the faces of their recruits so that they at least would still fill seats and win but once apparent that these kids weren't going to have the same opportunity they decided they wanted to go get a better opportunity for themselves. Josh Belk is an anomaly and a blessing in disguise as you can see what is unfolding with him at USuC. Truth is if a college athlete decides to pursue a different path that is better for him or something they're more comfortable with I cannot blame him or be mad at that decision. A&M, Ole Miss, Baylor, etc are schools that I don't see why their would be an issue with them leaving. As a student athlete you're giving your services in a sport for free tuition a decent amount of money per month (stipends) and free books and school supplies also normally. If you feel that the school has broken their side of an agreement by putting in a new coach or the truth comes out that they lied about sanctions or even if they said you'd be able to see your family on the weekends then they make practice mandatory every weekend as a young man trying to better your life then you deserve that opportunity. If you just want to do it just because your friend said there's lots of parties and women and a school hasn't broken any part of it's contract then that's different but I don't believe in fine printing a 17 year old making his first big decision of his life and then telling him too bad if he realizes you hid some truth that is going to impact the rest of his life.

Aug 22, 2018, 2:41 PM

Stipends- Sure, they don't have time to work like a lot of other students can and they're sacrificing that free time for the school so I think this is deserved but to keep it as an allowance and don't make it into a paycheck.

Early signing period- THIS I LOVE! It gives true freshman an opportunity to go into a major university with high talent and have a fair shot at being able to compete fully with the returning starters, I think it's great for the players that have worked hard and can graduate HS early while being a top athlete. I think this puts a little more stress on a coach but pay me millions a year to coach the game I love and give me the ability to go after great coordinators and assistants that can alleviate this work and it's just that much better, they get paid for the extra stress I'd say.

Aug 22, 2018, 2:46 PM

Lastly, paying players is not new. SMU was known for paying players so much they'd skip the NFL to return to college because they said it would be a pay cut going to the NFL. Stipends are not paychecks and bag men will not go away no matter the rules everything and everyone will adapt around and compete another way if they have to. Example, if a school is known to pay players and the NCAA is turning a blind eye then other big money schools will follow so that they will be competitive until the NCAA has to step in which then things will change and cool down but after time someone will get their hands dirty again for an edge and then others and then eventually that will change again. It's a cycle that won't go away.

Aug 22, 2018, 3:10 PM

People of low character will always sabotage any system, no matter how well meaning it is. What you should be contemplating is with legalized sports gambling a key player will have an undiagnosed problem in a key game and make lots of money.

Aug 22, 2018, 4:19 PM

The only fix to entitled players in college athletics is working with the NFL to allow players directly out of high school. College athletics is no place for players who do not want an education. Provide an alternate means for them to reach the NFL and get back to the values that make college sports great.

null

Aug 22, 2018, 4:42 PM

They have one, don't go to college and hire a trainer and train until you're of age to enter the draft. College athletics are a much better option due to being free and more credible. If you can't sacrifice going to classes while training then why should the NFL trust you enough to invest millions to sacrifice being able to use your time in the NFL to better yourself and stay out of trouble when they have nobody to ask such as a coach, or see in the media how they act with all that attention on them.. There's no other simulation as close to the NFL than college football. Watering down college athletics is not something the NCAA would do and the NFL wouldn't want to add investments on people who could bust more than NFL teams already do. It's a lose lose for both sides so what would make them want to do this?

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic