Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA Union thought...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,094

NCAA Union thought...

Mar 29, 2014, 10:28 AM

I am fortunate enough to manage for a Union company since graduating with Economics at Clemson... Here is my biggest issue with unions; we have to reward senority over quality of work by the employee.

With that said, will players get playing time based on their time at the school? A 5th year senior back up play over a talented freshmen?

Just a thought.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

why do unions "have to" do that?***

Mar 29, 2014, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

2 options here

Mar 29, 2014, 10:57 AM

You either are prounion or you don't know much about unions.

Everything is voted on during negotiations. Votes in any situation always benefit ther person voting. There are more players that ride the bench than start. Why wouldn't it be smart for the majority of the Union to vote for playing time?

Come on now...

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

no, i was asking in general - why do unions "have to" reward

Mar 29, 2014, 11:17 AM

seniority over performance? since you manage a union i was wondering why that principle - which leads to the impression of protecting lazy employees - is an absolute.

but then specifically regarding football: i don't think the NFL players union works that way. the coach still decides who plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re Give them an inch and they will take a mile. They are

Mar 29, 2014, 2:43 PM

never satisfied. They will run your business until they ruin it.

My thought - paying amatuer players is WRONG!

Mar 29, 2014, 11:38 AM

I'm actually hoping this law suit springboards minor league football and basketball leagues. It is time to take the money out of college football and return to STUDENT athletes. Baseball does a very good job of that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thought - paying amatuer players is WRONG!

Mar 29, 2014, 4:05 PM

I agree with Tiger fan. Let's return to student athletes. Let the athletes who are not qualified to get in college play minor league ball or if they are good enough, go straight to the NFL or NBA. Theywould see in ahurry how many people flocked to see them play minor league ball. Most fans are attending because of the school they identify with. Players come and go.

I beleive this is the relevant point

Mar 30, 2014, 1:55 PM

When deciding on this issue you have to answer this question:
Do fans of college athletics watch because of the product on the field or because of school affiliation?
I believe people that want to watch primarily a product are NFL fans and those that watch a brand are college fans. As long as the playing field is equal for all participants, college football would still generate the same revenue regardless of who the players were. As much as I love our players and want to see them wildly successful in the NFL, I love them because they played for Clemson not because of their amazing abilities. That's why i now have several favorite NFL teams (Houston, Arizona, Buffalo, etc.) and only one college team no matter how good any other player in college may be.

Wanna know why college baseball is on the backburner?

Mar 30, 2014, 2:56 PM [ in reply to My thought - paying amatuer players is WRONG! ]

Because of minor league baseball and no rule that they must play in college. You want to do that to football?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

absolutely***

Mar 30, 2014, 4:29 PM

Arena league

Mar 30, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to My thought - paying amatuer players is WRONG! ]

Let the players work just as hard for no education, no meals, no room and board, and $1,000/week...IN SEASON. I bet they will be singing a different tune then.

For every Mike Trout, how many guys are scuffling around minor league ball playing for peanuts?

Re: NCAA Union thought...

Mar 30, 2014, 3:07 PM

NW BOD have made it known if the players form a Union there will be NO football program at NW
That's why the 2 stirring the pot are going to DC trying to get congress involved, we all know how that's going to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, old Harry Reid has already endorsed his support.

Mar 30, 2014, 4:22 PM

Now the screwed up government is going to screw up college athletics as we know it.

Re: NCAA Union thought...

Mar 30, 2014, 4:27 PM

I've never seen any quality of work difference from members of a union. They all half ### everything.
You're more likely to see the talented players put in less effort on their own accord.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,094
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic