Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson's No-Name Defense looks to earn respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson's No-Name Defense looks to earn respect

Aug 8, 2013, 2:47 PM

Clemson's No-Name Defense looks to earn respect

DeShawn Williams said Wednesday night that line coach Dan Brooks has taken to calling the defense the No-Name Defense because nobody knows their names. Brooks tells the group that everybody knows the names of the players at South Carolina, but he might not let his tackles wear their names on their jerseys. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reader

Aug 8, 2013, 3:15 PM

Man, Reader should have a big year along with the rest of our DTs; My concern is DE, to a degree.

Beasley has good speed and quickness, but is undersized at 235 lbs. And Crawford has really underachieved -IMHO!!!

Hopefully Lawson can push both.

Re: Beasley

Aug 8, 2013, 3:31 PM

I was thinking he was 235 last year...hopefully he has packed on a few more pounds over the winter. If so, watch out! Go Tigers!

Re: Beasley

Aug 8, 2013, 4:51 PM

VB weighed in at 242 just FYI. Would love to see him have a great season and play at 245+ the whole year.

Agree :)***

Aug 8, 2013, 5:01 PM

good job Coach Brooks....and have them watch film of

Aug 8, 2013, 3:42 PM

Jeff Bryant, Brentson Buckner, Chester McGlockton, Dan Benish, Archie Reese, Jim Stuckey, etc....DT's who dominated the line of scrimmage, stuffed folks like it was personal to them, wore the PAW on the helmet with major swagger and ALL went on to play in the NFL. These kids today are better conditioned and stonger athletes...all they need is to collectively develop confidence and productive swagger and with the depth we have they can be beasts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good job Coach Brooks....and have them watch film of

Aug 8, 2013, 4:39 PM

I don't know if these youngsters are necessarily better conditioned or if they are even stronger than the Clemson Legends, but one thing I know those who wore the PAW before them all had one thing....HEART! HEART is what separates the Jerry Rices' of the world from the Randy Mosses'.

you're right about the heart

Aug 8, 2013, 5:37 PM

but the strength and conditioning programs these days is light years ahead of where they were back then....not to say that those guys couldn't have been as strong as these kids if they'd been exposed to the nutrition and programs, etc. because they absolutely could.....Jeff Bryant was 6'5" 280 and played 13 years in the NFL and was a huge dude. What those guys had on a lot of these kids was no social media, no internet, no email, a LOT of hard, tough coaches from the old school and they were raised on a brand of nasty defensive mentality that often times had the best athletes on the field on the D side of the ball....i'd argue with anyone that there have been a LOT of times since the 70's in Clemson that the best athletes WERE on the D side of the ball. the defenses we had from '88 to '91 were without question the best athletes on the team. I personally think that the '89 and '90 version of Tiger D is the best we've ever had.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

89 showed how good they were when they used major harris

Aug 9, 2013, 10:09 AM

As a tackling dummy. Mobile qb with knee buckling moves who could throw the ball all over the place was something you didn't see back then. That type of d was something he wasn't ready for.

Heart and just bad attitudes toward the opponent

Aug 9, 2013, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: good job Coach Brooks....and have them watch film of ]

And one thing above all that has been mentioned by those guys. That was a true fear of making their coaches look bad.

"We've got to come back down from all this hype."

Aug 8, 2013, 10:25 PM

I'm glad this is sinking in now instead of on game day. We've got the talent to go out there and be at least a top 50 D. That's not asking for much at all. Top 25 is what I'd like to see. Top 15 and we'll be champions.

Vic Beasly weigh in = 232 lbs (Aug 3 Shakin The Southland)***

Aug 9, 2013, 7:20 AM

Re: Vic Beasly weigh in = 232 lbs (Aug 3 Shakin The Southland)***

Aug 9, 2013, 7:50 AM

Other people heard 242 on the video. I'm not sure if we'll ever figure out the real weigh.

As cut as he is, if he is at 4% body fat and weighs 232 - he would weigh 250 with 12% body fat.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

My understanding....

Aug 9, 2013, 7:55 AM

he wanted to get to 240-245 by the start of the season.

Beasley.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic