Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My trip home from San Diego
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

My trip home from San Diego

Mar 20, 2018, 9:20 PM

There was an issue getting me home from San Diego. Enjoy. I might repost for the morning crowd

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip. Yep, my travel back from San Diego was one for the ages. I flew from Charlotte to San Diego via Detroit Friday on a one-way ticket...if Clemson lost the first game I would have come back on a Delta buddy pass Saturday, because Nikki has an uncle who works for Delta. A buddy pass simply means you fly standby on any flight. So by the time Friday afternoon rolled around I already had about 3500 air miles under my belt, along with 15 or so episodes of Parks and Recreation. Well, we all know Clemson won, so I stayed til Sunday. Nikki's aunt sent me a text, and said if I could get to the airport after the game was over, I had a really good chance of getting on a 10:30 PM (San Diego time) flight back to Atlanta, where Nikki would pick me up.

I finished interviews, wrote a couple of stories, rushed back to my hotel, packed, drove to the airport, dropped off the rental car, went through security and had the assurance that there were dozens of open seats. Then a funny thing happened......Auburn fans began to swarm in by twos and threes and pretty soon almost 100 extra people had shown up for the flight - they were folks who made reservations to stay in San Diego a few extra days, but after the butt whipping decided to head for home. So what happened to me? I get bumped way down the list, the door closes and I went from first in line to about 32nd.

No problem. The next flight leaves at 6 am.....and it looks wide open. I was smart enough that I had kept my hotel room key, so I left the airport, went back to my hotel room and slept for three hours before arising at 4 AM to head back to the airport. I get there, check in, and sure enough, here come Clemson and Auburn and West Virginia and Marshall fans by the hundreds, all wanting an earlier flight home. MInd-boggling. I was told, quite candidly, that my chances of getting home by buddy pass were no good until maybe Wednesday. So Deena Turner Smith worked her magic, and called me. She told me that she could put me on a flight, direct, from San Diego to JFK. Which, if you don't know, is in NYC. And then I would have to find my way from JFK to LaGuardia, and catch a flight from LaGuardia to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Greenville. I sprinted across the entire airport, checked into that flight, when she texted me and said, hey, that earlier flight has had some seats open up. So I spring back across the airport, only to find that more Auburn fans have shown up and the doors to the airplane are closed. I spring BACK across the airport, and make my flight to JFK. Barely. Because I am non-rev, I don't get to pick a seat, and yes, I get stuck in a middle seat on an aged plane. Which means, my 6-3, 300-pound man frame doesn't fit. It's impossible. I ask the monk - yes, a monk - on the aisle seat if he will change, and he says, " I am a monk, not an idiot." So they wedge me in, somehow, and the gate agent comes on the plane....she comes straight to me and starts screaming at me. Because I have a bag, and I am going to JFK but having to also catch a flight at another airport, she starts telling me I need to leave the flight and rejoin my bag, that I can't fly "this way." No idea what that was about, but they got me out of my seat and sat me down six times - yes six - before telling me that I can stay on the plane, but my bag will take another flight through Salt Lake. She takes it off the plane, puts another person's name on it, and sends it to..NYC.

I fly five hours, wedged in between an overweight monk and a mother holding a toddler, who has snot running out of every orifice, screams and tries to touch me for five hours. Finally, the nice flight attendant comes to get me and takes me to the galley, where I stand and help with drinks and ice (I've done this ALOT, as Nikki Hood can attest), and she gets my story. Feeling sorry for me, she tells me she has a 16-hour layover in NY, and here is her number, if I get stuck call her and I can stay in her room. OOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I land at JFK - in shorts and T-shirt - to cold air and snow on the ground. I catch and Uber and ride through Queens with a Muslim who plays loud music and tells me how the Americans have ruined Baghadad. He then tries to drop me off at the wrong terminal, and gets spitting angry when I tell him I need to get to the Delta terminal.

I get to LaGuardia, finally, and I try to make a few earlier flights, but to no avail. I am stuck, cold, hungry and without sleep, while a THOUSAND high school kids in my terminal try to make it back to North Carolina. They are chirpy and happy and talkative, and I want to hill them all. The monk is also looking for a flight, and comes over to ask me a question, and I tell him I am a Christian but not stupid and walk away.

I finally find the late flight to Atlanta, and sit in between a 400-pound woman with breathing issues and a man from the Middle East who takes his sandals off and rests them on his leg, my leg, and scratches dead skin off of them. Two hours I endure the middle seat, while Nikki Hood says just breathe, calm down.

I make it to Atlanta, and the storms roll in. My flight is delayed an hour because of the storms, and then delayed more. It was supposed to leave at 11:40, and we take off at 1:15 AM. Yes, I am now 27 hours into this with no sleep and no real food. We get in the air, and we have to fly to Tennessee to get to Greenville. We arrive at Greenville, drop the gear, and are about to touch down when lightning strikes, the plane turns sideways, and the pilot revs the engie and takes us out of there. I text Nikki, tell her I might be late, and the pilot comes on the intercom and says we might have to head back to Atlanta. He roams around the skies of South Carolina for a while, but we land, and I got home at 3:24 AM.

I am driving to Omaha

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great story. compelling and rich.

Mar 20, 2018, 9:26 PM

tu for not losing your mind

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

That's a classic! "I'm a Christian but not stupid..." Nice.

Mar 20, 2018, 9:28 PM

Agree... DRIVE.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still 100 times better than being a Awburn writer!

Mar 20, 2018, 9:31 PM

Owned.

Message was edited by: mikeyT®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL;DR***

Mar 20, 2018, 9:32 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Didn't Receive...?***

Mar 20, 2018, 9:33 PM

Glad you made it home safe and with some

Mar 20, 2018, 9:34 PM

Sanity left. I followed your struggles on twitter and wondered how it all turned out beteeen the destinations. At least we won.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My trip home from San Diego

Mar 20, 2018, 9:37 PM

"a mother holding a toddler, who has snot running out of every orifice, screams and tries to touch me for five hours"

That mom sounds out of control with the touching and the screaming. I hope the toddler was at least well behaved.

Yo dave, you mind tmaling me the number of that nice flight

Mar 20, 2018, 9:40 PM

attendant?

TIA in advance

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Well I guess I'll never complain about my flights anymore...

Mar 20, 2018, 9:45 PM

...unless I get stuck by your 300# butt one day.

Just kidding, it will be OK as long as you keep your sandals on.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well I guess I'll never complain about my flights anymore...

Mar 21, 2018, 7:49 AM

That's what I'm saying, that would have pulled my trigger and set me off right then. I wouldn't have been able to control my mouth from saying what my mind was thinking. I mean planes are cramped for a guy 5'11" 205 like myself, and no way someone is going to scrape their nasty A$S feet sitting that close to me. A straightener would have been put on that with the quickness, Homey don't play around with no disgusting shiot like that sitting that close to me, oh h&ll NO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 9:46 PM

pigs of the sandals and dead skin

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably Humvee treads...***

Mar 20, 2018, 9:51 PM

TL;DR....***

Mar 20, 2018, 9:50 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

could have been worse

Mar 20, 2018, 9:51 PM

you could be a unc or uva reporter guy

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or Auburn... of course, they may have just left him there.***

Mar 20, 2018, 9:58 PM

Planes, Trains, Automobiles... and dhood!

Mar 20, 2018, 10:04 PM

Sorry, but I GOTS tears in my eyes.... from LAUGHING!!!

Christians..... Bagadad Bob..... hot flight stewardesses..... and middle seats.... life is GOOD, eh David?!?!

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I am now ashamed of being upset about my flight yesterday

Mar 20, 2018, 10:08 PM

I only had to endure 2 and 1/2 hours with a man that needed a seat belt extension and whose thighs were up against mine.
I feel for you but admit your story made me laugh more than once. Whomever thinks travel is glamourous hasn’t flown lately. The one time in the last year I was lucky enough to be upgraded to “first class” I sat next to a man who put his bare feet on the bulk head and coughed without covering his mouth. I hate flying.

Re: I am now ashamed of being upset about my flight yesterday

Mar 21, 2018, 8:01 AM

Sorry, but that wouldn't have went over well with me either. I firmly believe in live and let live, but we must do that with mutual respect for each other, and if the mutual respect isn't there, we have a problem.

Mar 20, 2018, 10:17 PM

After seeing you in ATL, I beat you home by 24 minutes....DTD

Bro, do you even millennial???

Mar 20, 2018, 10:25 PM

Way too long, didn’t read past paragraph 2.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You missed the best parts!!***

Mar 21, 2018, 8:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 10:33 PM

David....you know the forum rules. Pigs of the flight attendant or it didn't happen.

She must've saw what big feet you have....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 10:40 PM

David, you should work on this a little and have it published. A hilarious short story.( Though a nightmare for you). ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 10:43 PM

Also, it could have been worse!
Imagine if our Tigers had lost by 31!

Mar 20, 2018, 11:18 PM

First, that sounds like the trip from Hades.

Two, it sounds like Crump is paying you in Burger King coupons. Do we need a GoFundMe page?

Is this real?

Mar 21, 2018, 1:11 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Crazy-people-on-my-flight-home-to-New-York-1791510

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2018, 6:48 AM

Small price to pay to see the Tigers play like they did. Glad you made it home. Now get ready to do it all over again!

i know we discussed this on Twitter but great

Mar 21, 2018, 8:08 AM

Adventure and story for you David. I like how you managed to keep your sense of humor through this!

Re: i know we discussed this on Twitter but great

Mar 21, 2018, 8:58 AM

This might be his second or third version of the story. My first would NEVER make the cut! These are trips that have you swearing off of ever flying...I'm empathetic.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds shopped...

Mar 21, 2018, 8:18 AM

I guess you get what you pay for.

I liked the part where baby mama...

Mar 21, 2018, 9:00 AM

had snot running out of every orifice.

#kinky

I had a bad feeling this might happen.

Mar 21, 2018, 9:12 AM

Sorry you missed the meet up in Cherokee county last night.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

How did you know about that?

Mar 21, 2018, 9:30 AM

I couldn't find any info on the boreds yesterday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

That's because it isn't until tomorrow

Mar 21, 2018, 12:09 PM

HTHIA

I feel like the buddy program is the root problem here.

Mar 21, 2018, 10:58 AM

Second is people needing to be a healthy weight.
Third is have headphones and a lap tarp.
Fourth is don't talk to people when flying unless you are telling them to get their shoes off of you.

Fifth is, you deserve all of that because you get to go to all of the amazing Clemson stuff and you get paid for it while I don't.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ain’t

Mar 21, 2018, 11:59 AM

America great? This could happen only in the good ole U S of A! Flying once was fun. Not anymore.

I wish some early genius had convinced the powers that be that the railway system should be developed.

ain’t

Mar 21, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to I feel like the buddy program is the root problem here. ]

America great? This could happen only in the good ole U S of A! Flying once was fun. Not anymore.

I wish some early genius had convinced the powers that be that the railway system should be developed.

Mar 21, 2018, 11:53 AM

This post has been nominated for the Brian Williams Journalists Who Embeliish Personal Stories award.

I was following until the part where the flight attendant offered to let you stay with her. After that, the alarm bell on all the other conincidences went off for me.

Mar 21, 2018, 12:50 PM

David, quite a journey! Life wouldn't be like this for you if you weren't, (and I paraphrase the great philosopher Ric Flair), "...one high-stylin' and profilin', jet-plane flyin' SON OF A GUN. WOOO000!""

So.....back to the stewardess invite. She hot?

Mar 21, 2018, 1:38 PM

Asking for a friend.

San Diego or Flo-rida?

Mar 21, 2018, 4:36 PM
convict.jpg(48.2 K)

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Attachment

Mar 21, 2018, 4:38 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Which-one-of-you-is-this-1791615

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Mar 21, 2018, 5:27 PM

Great story! Need pics or it did not happen. Maybe the mods will pay both ways this time! So no more buddy passes!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ha! that sounds like pure H E L L.

Mar 21, 2018, 7:33 PM

thank you for your services.

Mar 21, 2018, 7:54 PM

This sounds like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic