Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson vs South Carolina rivalry ranked in Top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson vs South Carolina rivalry ranked in Top 10

May 29, 2015, 5:32 PM

Clemson vs South Carolina rivalry ranked in Top 10

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BYU/Utah is ranked higher than Clemson/usuck?? Que??***

May 29, 2015, 5:37 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If a list doesn't at least have our rivalry in the top 5...

May 29, 2015, 5:47 PM

Then it's irrelevant. I don't think they're is a more passionate rivalry in the country.

Like Dabo says...

May 29, 2015, 7:08 PM

"This isn't a rivalry.....it's more like a domination......."

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like Dabo says...

May 31, 2015, 12:03 PM

That's actually the truth. The only reason our rivalry (as they are calling it right now) is being talked about so much these days. It's bc of something that has never happen before in the history of the two schools. Usuc for the first time has won five straight match ups against Clemson in their history. That's pretty pathetic that the smaller school in the smallest town has dominated the bigger school in the bigger city in the heart of the capital city. The schools played their first ever FB game against each other November, 12 1896. From 1896 to 1959, not one game was played in Clemson. USUC visited Clemson for the very first time in 1960 and lost. In the first 64 years of our history, USUC had home field advantage Six straight decades and won 21 games against Clemson. I would say that Coach Swinney was absolutely right, our history Verus USUC has been a domination. To say that it has been a rivalry is giving USUC to much credit as being a threat of what two rivalry teams are to each other on a year to year basis. The five straight against Clemson after over a hundred year history has been there biggest moment ever in the history of our dominates over them even with them having home field advantage over us for the first 6 decades. Suck it coots, Clemson nation understands that coot nation don't reconize or own up to thrir pathetic history until Nov 28, 2009. But the real thruth is, that was the beginning of the best history you can remember. Now it goes back to the past that started again Nov 29, 2014, 35-17!!! But with the coots delusional denial, they do have a history that actually counts dating back to 1896. The proof is in the records that can't be wiped away just bc you don't like what the record truly is!!!

Clemson–South Carolina football rivalry
Clemson University Tiger Paw logo.svg South Carolina Gamecocks Block C logo.svg
Clemson Tigers South Carolina Gamecocks
Sport(s) Football
Total meetings 112
Series record Clemson leads, 66-42-4 :)
First meeting November 12, 1896
South Carolina 12, Clemson 6
Last meeting November 29, 2014
Clemson, 35 South Carolina 17, :)
Next meeting November 28, 2015
Largest win Clemson, 51-0 (1900) :)
Longest win streak Clemson, 7 (1934-1940):)
Current win streak Clemson 1 :)
Trophy Palmetto (name pending)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Tensions rising from the Civil War" ... wut?

May 29, 2015, 9:15 PM

How are they coming up with that??

9. Clemson-South Carolina

Series history: First meeting in 1896. Clemson leads series, 66-42-4.
The Palmetto Bowl has more layers than an onion when it comes to rivalries. There is, of course, the historical aspect that fans the flames, dating back in many respects to tensions rising from the Civil War. Add in how close the campuses are to each other along with the SEC vs. ACC aspect, and this is one nasty back-and-forth showdown. Things have certainly escalated recently due to the potshots that Dabo Swinney and Steve Spurrier have taken at the opposing schools the past few years.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts exactly. Had no idea we were playing...

May 29, 2015, 10:44 PM

...each other during the 1860's. All that North vs South tension that started between us back then. Learn something everyday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

well, them clinging to that flag in Columbia causes Clemson

May 30, 2015, 9:41 AM [ in reply to "Tensions rising from the Civil War" ... wut? ]

to suffer, as the ACC won't move the baseball tourney to Myrtle Beach or Greenville. So we're punished for the actions of the political idiots in Columbia (mostly SCAR grads).

I'd call that a bit of "Civil War Tension".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a bit of a stretch ...***

May 30, 2015, 8:20 PM

While I wouldn't deny the issue exists, I don't quite see how it validates the statement made in the article.

Clemson didn't even exist as a school or a town during the Civil War and even if it had, I'm pretty sure the citizens of Clemson and Columbia would have been fighting on the same side.

Any tensions happened leading up to and during the Progressive Era well after the Civil War.

Re: FB Update: Clemson vs South Carolina rivalry ranked in Top 10

May 29, 2015, 9:41 PM

I had friend that graduated from Clemson then went to graduate school at Auburn. He said hands down Palmetto Bowl was bigger rivalry Iron Bowl. They old put Iron Bowl biggest cause SEC. Palmetto Bowl biggest

I can't rank us ahead of the Iron Bowl. My younger brother

Jun 1, 2015, 7:03 AM

lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 7 years. That whole state lives and dies with football the entire season, not just on rivalry week. He showed me a local paper one football weekend when we went to visit, on a normal football weekend. 15 pages each for Bama and Auburn. He said when they play each other in the Iron Bowl, there is a whole special edition of the paper devoted just to the game. He also said if you wear the wrong cap to the wrong bar, the "best" outcome for you is that you only get your #### kicked as you are kicked out. Plus, we (hopefully) don't have fans poisoning trees, or any of that type of nonsense, unless you count outside tailgating sex in Cootlumbia as polluting the environment. I kind of like our rivalry as is compared to some of that more ominous stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2015, 9:41 PM

I had friend that graduated from Clemson then went to graduate school at Auburn. He said hands down Palmetto Bowl was bigger rivalry Iron Bowl. They old put Iron Bowl biggest cause SEC. Palmetto Bowl biggest

May 29, 2015, 10:37 PM

Yeah , whatever he said !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 29, 2015, 10:39 PM

BYU and Utah ?

DB23

Those Mormon's are mean and hold a grudge ... !***

May 31, 2015, 10:52 PM

May 29, 2015, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson vs South Carolina rivalry ranked in Top 10 ]

Perhaps because the winner of the iron bowl has won ~10 championships versus 1 for the palmetto bowl.

Maybe if South Carolina was not a perennial loser they would give this rivalry more weight.

I believe they have only won 1 conference championship in their existence. We would be better off trying to make the rivalry with UGA, at least they have won something.

I know many of you get butt hurt when you lose to the coots, but it doesn't make it a rivalry most non south carolinians even know is happening.

Imaging how silly it would be for someone to celebrate their domination of vanderbilt, and complain it is only ninth best. Vandy may even be better historically than Usuck.

May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM

It isn't about the national appeal or about how successful or unsuccessful the two rivals are in their history .
It is about the passion, and the pageantry and the overall feel of the game . It is about the historical significance to those who live it , and how it intertwines into the lives that are a part of it.
If by now you don't understand how the Palmetto Bowl should be viewed as a top 5 (at least) rivalry nationally then you never will.
Probably never did.

DB23

May 30, 2015, 8:37 AM

Lol, where is Ga/Fla at. I didn't think Texas/Oklahoma played on a regular basis anymore. BYU/Utah is one the nation just can't get enough of. Here is my top five....
1. Alabama - Auburn
2. Clemson - South Carolina
3. Georgia - Florida
4. ND - USC
5.Michigan - Ohio State

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2015, 8:58 AM

How old is the guy that made this top fifteen? I think to qualify for writing such an article you need to be at least fifty and seen the history that has taken place over that time period.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks to be about 27. Covers Pac-12 and Big-12 for 247sports

May 30, 2015, 9:12 AM

Hence, the blatant unashamed self-conference-promotion.

Bryan Fischer. NFL.COM

Born in Texas, never traveled east of the Mississippi River.

Nice to see us in there anywhere honestly.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic