Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thought on the Heisman.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,551

My thought on the Heisman.

Dec 10, 2019, 6:48 AM

For our guys to win it, due to our weak schedule possibly, we would have had to overuse our players. ETN was 6th in the nation in rushing. We would have just worn him out for no reason. It's all about championships. The Heisman isn't set up for our schedule. That's a good thing if the real goal is championships. As far as QB's go, there have been very few successful NFL qb's that won the Heisman anyway. Before Lamar Jackson it was Carson Palmer and then all the way back to Rodger Staubach 56 years ago. Anyway, it doesnt matter. We are set up for championships and not Heismans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thought on the Heisman.

Dec 10, 2019, 6:59 AM

Totally agree. Well said, although when it comes to a players impact for their team, no one that got invited had a bigger impact on their team than Simmons had on this one.

He was beast mode all year but none moreso than September. He owned aTm and that got the offense time to gel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 7:08 AM

He did!! The Butkus Award noticed too.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 10, 2019, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: My thought on the Heisman. ]

The heisman has lost its luster.Too many voters allow their personal likes or dislikes to influence their votes. And there are too many voters period .

Dec 10, 2019, 7:02 AM

It's sad but true. Too bad they can't take playing time into consideration when looking at stats.

I'm pretty sure that our guys have said they prefer championships to individual trophies.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The "other" reason Trevor didn't get the votes for Heisman

Dec 10, 2019, 7:08 AM

is because he's TOO good. Trevor is like Sammy Watkins. He's so good that he makes things look TOO easy. He just stands back their calm, cool, and collected making plays, evading tacklers, and running for first downs. And he does all of that seemingly without even breaking a sweat.

Most observers can't even appreciate what he's actually doing. They want a "chicken-with-its-head-cut-off" Lamar Jackson QB who's wasting as much energy as he is using, and that's just not TL. He's the Stonewall Jackson of QBs, a gridiron general sitting high in his saddle while minie balls are flying all around him without a care in the world, simply beating every army that comes against him.

One day he'll be appreciated by all (like DW4 is now), but he'll have to wait for that, and lucky for him, as you've already indirectly pointed out, it will be much more important then.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:10 AM

If you are going to define success by Carson Palmer then you could probably add a few. Cam Newton, Vinny Testaverde, and Jim Plunkett all probably could rival the success of Palmer which was only moderate. It was interesting to look back and see how few QB's won the award years ago.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:15 AM

Jim Plunkett: 19 TDs, 19 ints the year he won the Heisman.

--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 10, 2019, 7:22 AM

Another piece of trivia. When he won the Heisman, Stanford was the Stanford Indians. I guess they got PC and changed their mascot.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: My thought on the Heisman. ]

Vinny kind of sucked. Plunkett was solid but meh, but the only reason I put Carson Palmer was because he has a chance at the HOF still. I am not sure he deserves it, but he still has a chance. You have to go all the way back to Staubach.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:24 AM

For our guys to win it, it has nothing to do with overusing a player.
It has to do with our guys playing on a "Popular" team.
In the eyes of the mainstream bias of eSECpn Clemson isn't a "Popular "team, and since the Heisman has become nothing more than aa "Popularity" Contest, I wouldn't expect to see a Clemson player on that stage in N.Y.anytime soon.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:41 AM

We are on a popular team. It was TL's to lose when the season started. He was the favorite and the media darling. He started it average and he didn't earn it. There has been a Clemson player there 2 out of the last 5 years. It has zilch to do with popularity for him in particular.

Dec 10, 2019, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: My thought on the Heisman. ]

Lawrence was hyped as the favorite to win it for the entire offseason. Also, what qualifies as a popular team? If a player from Baylor(RG3) or someone from Louisville(Jackson) can win it then someone on Clemson is "popular" enough.

Dec 10, 2019, 8:32 AM

Jim Plunkett.

Dec 10, 2019, 8:40 AM

Not a HOF qb though.

Dec 10, 2019, 8:58 AM

Carlsbad® said:

Not a HOF qb though.

No but he win two Super Bowls

Dec 10, 2019, 8:44 AM

Lamar Jackson is still TBD in my book. Even RG3 had one epic season with the skins. The Ravens are a better org, so he has a chance, but to be proven, you need more than one good season.

Last successful Heisman QB was Cam.

Dec 10, 2019, 8:46 AM

I agree. I just can't add him or take him out since he is the NFL MVP this season. I agree with you though.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,551
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic