Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on tonight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 3,557

My take on tonight

Jan 2, 2018, 6:01 AM

No one in their right mind couldn’t see that running the ball against Bama without keeping them honest with some pass plays was a smart game plan. As much as I love our staff I have seen a bit of stubbornness in them on more than one occasion this year.

When we finally started to throw the ball some it seemed to open up the run game a little. Everyone and their mama knows that Bryant is a better runner than passer. Guess what! That includes Alabama. Their game plan was to load the box and let us try to run and we played the game right into their plan. Look! If you’re gonna go down, go down swinging!

And the coaching! Look at Saban. He knew the strength of our defense was our front 7. What did he do? He brought in an extra offensive lineman to equalize our strength. So what if we are doing what they are doing. Bring in an extra OLman.

My take on Kelly and his passing game. You can only here the same negativity about yourself before you start to buy into it and lose your confidence. Our refusal to call more pass plays does nothing to help Kelly’s confidence. The OCs should have been working on pass plays to build his confidence. If Kelly could have gotten some completions his confidence would have gone up with every pass completed. Then the Bama defense couldn’t just zero in on the run up the middle or the bubble screen.

The loss tonight was as much on the coaching as it was on the players.

Now we turn the page to 2018. We don’t lose a ton and the result of tonight’s game may the reason that a good bit of players come back. Not much was done to improve anyone’s draft stock. I would love to see Wilkins stay. Would love to see all of the DL stay. We got a lot of nice recruits coming in as well. The future is bright and will stay that way if we continue winning and recruiting well. Thanks for a great year Clemson!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on tonight

Jan 2, 2018, 6:18 AM

Alabama did not load the box.
4 Down Lineman
Man to Man on the perimeter & backfield
*Cover 1
*2-Man
*Mixed in a few zone blitzes later in the game
They basically said we can stop Clemson’s Running game with 6 in the box
Front 4 DL beat Clemso’s 5 OL
Cover 1 with a spy on Bryant
2-Man on 3rd Long
WInning on First Down was paramount for Alabama.
Stopping the run makes Clemson one dimensional can’t Run each RB 15 times & Bryant 20
PlayAction Pass is eliminated when you can’t run Ultimately, Bama did exactly what i thought — they made Kelly Bryant have to play real QB ..
3 Step Quick Game/5 Step drop

You can call all the passing plays in the playbook but with Bama able to drop 7 & only have to rush 4 ... well you watched it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 6:46 AM

Yup. OL made him run for his life every play. We'll never know what the plan was because we got blown off the ball so bad.

I don't give a #%@$ if it's Hunter Johnson, Zerrick Cooper or Trevor Lawrence, your OL is what gives you a shot. ETN? Didn't do squat. Choice? Nada. Feaster? Nope. KB was in the same boat. He had to dodge 2 guys to get a chance to throw the ball most snaps.

Sprinkle in garbage special teams play on punts and our stellar D spent the ENTIRE ball game on the field, a short field at that and did a #### fine job considering the pickle they were put in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 7:05 AM

This is exactly right, tabraha. This loss in no way should fall on KB2. The OL got beat everywhere. You can watch the high number of poor snaps to know that our center was on his heels all night. KB2 was fielding snaps like he was taking ground ball infield practice. That's one thing he doesn't need to be worrying about for sure. KB2 runs as well as any of our QBs on the team this year and last. The RB blocking is awful. These guys run straight into a pile at the LOS. Too often I saw an unblocked defender squirt through the line and our RB was going the opposite direction to help block someone already being blocked. The TE blocking? A waste. May as well bring in another OL and bench the TE. This year the TE hasn't been a threat either passing or blocking - waste of a man on the field IMO. Hats off to our D. If not for the play on that side of the ball, this score would have been embarrassing.

Jan 2, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: My take on tonight ]

is it just me or did it seem we had absolutely nothing new cooked up for Bama on the offensive side of the ball. Bama on the other hand ran jet sweeps, flea flickers, Offensive linemen as running backs rolling out in the flats to catch TDs. Clearly they did the work required to win. Our young OCs either didn't think they needed to or didnt have the football smarts to. Either way I hope our OCS grow from the lesson they were given by Bama's NFL OC. GO TIGERS!

we have been working on KB’s pass confidence all year

Jan 2, 2018, 6:28 AM

And Wilkins is gone

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we have been working on KB’s pass confidence all year

Jan 2, 2018, 6:52 AM

I’m sooo gonna miss CW!??

Replies: 6
| visibility 3,557
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic