Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the end of the Spurrier era...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,120

My take on the end of the Spurrier era...

Oct 13, 2015, 7:28 AM

It is no secret here that I'm not a big Steve Spurrier fan. He's one of the reasons my interest in Gamecock football waned several years ago. I think he was, and still is to an extent, an excellent football coach. His playcalling takes a back seat to no one's, in my opinion. When he got a wave of talent in, he turned in the best Gamecock football teams ever. (He got an assist from Florida and Tennessee being down, but those were no doubt really good SC teams.) When the talent dried up, and it was his own fault, the scheme was not enough, not in this age, when his spread offense is no longer innovative, but downright ubiquitous. I don't like his negativity, and above all I don't like his egotism. He's been hard for me to root for, and for about 7-8 years, I really haven't.

It is doubtful that South Carolina will replace Spurrier with someone better than Spurrier. I expect a couple of very lean years ahead for the program. But I am happy today. This is an opportunity for me to have my interest restored in my alma mater's football team. If they can find a coach with high character and a positive attitude, I might just start getting into it again. And that would be fun.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks...

Oct 13, 2015, 7:29 AM

coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DC; DR***

Oct 13, 2015, 7:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

But you did care enough to reply...

Oct 13, 2015, 7:37 AM

and that means a lot to me, it really does.

Re: But you did care enough to reply...

Oct 13, 2015, 7:53 AM

If you didn't enjoy the greatest years of gamecock football ever, no coach is going to make you happy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

even other board coots calling u out.***

Oct 13, 2015, 7:56 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I was able to fully enjoy it.

Oct 13, 2015, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Re: But you did care enough to reply... ]

Spurrier made it hard to, for me personally.

I would rather have a positive coach of high character and win 7 games per year, personally. I know most people don't feel that way.

coot fight on a tater board

Oct 13, 2015, 8:35 AM

/popcorn

CHICK[EN] FIGHT!!!!!!!***

Oct 13, 2015, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: But you did care enough to reply... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

i got a hondo says '09 takes cattleprod to the woodshed...***

Oct 13, 2015, 8:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it comes down to a battle of wits

Oct 13, 2015, 8:29 AM

it will end in a 0-0 tie. Much like soccer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

maybe they'll both quit like their coach when it gets hard?***

Oct 13, 2015, 8:32 AM

They're two coots talking USuCk football on a

Oct 13, 2015, 8:41 AM

Clemson message board and reminiscing about the best years of coot football...they both got hard as soon as 09 hit reply. Hth

groce, but they'll finish soon, not a lot to talk about...***

Oct 13, 2015, 8:52 AM

You have a limited view of sports fandom.

Oct 13, 2015, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: But you did care enough to reply... ]

A program is more than just its record.

null

Re: You have a limited view of sports fandom. X

Oct 13, 2015, 8:44 AM

Seems quite the opposite. If you're arguing a sports program is defined by a criterion you're incapable of actually knowing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I'm saying everyone looks for different things in the

Oct 13, 2015, 8:55 AM

program they support. Prod very clearly said that he found it difficult to support a head coach that he considered egotistical, and your response was that the amount of wins Spurrier had should have made Prod happy.

I feel the same way about the Steelers. I've made a pretty clean break from the NFL because what was my favorite team signed Michael Vick, and I can't support that guy. If he wins four Super Bowls, I still won't support that guy.

null

GREATEST YEARS OF GAMECOCK FOOTBALL EVA!!!!!!!!

Oct 13, 2015, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: But you did care enough to reply... ]

Where all you did was beat Clemson.

HTH You still blow c0cks, and always will.

Re: My take on the end of the Spurrier era...

Oct 13, 2015, 7:36 AM

TU for a sensible and honest post. Very well stated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heard that he wanted to retire last year, but Tanner and

Oct 13, 2015, 8:17 AM

others talked him out of it. I can empathize with him, because I am also 70 - lost a lot of fire, and I could tell by his body language and the words out of his mouth, that Spurlid was more than ready to go A YEAR AGO!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heard that he wanted to retire last year, but Tanner and

Oct 13, 2015, 8:24 AM

If that is true then I hope the "retire or be fired" story is not true. Beg him to stay then show him the door?

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,120
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic