Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the CFP rankings for the next two weeks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,666

My take on the CFP rankings for the next two weeks

Nov 29, 2016, 11:46 AM

Here is what I think the CFP Committee will have for tonight's top 5 rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Penn State

If Alabama wins the SEC, Clemson wins the ACC, Washington wins the PAC-12, and Penn State wins the Big10, I see the final top 5 being:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Penn State
5. Ohio State

Regardless of the talking heads at ESPN, Ohio State will get left out in this scenario. Clemson and Washington will both be 1 loss conference champs and have an overall better record than Ohio State. Penn State will jump Ohio State because they meet two major criteria; Big10 conference champion and won the head to head with Ohio State.

If Alabama wins the SEC, Clemson wins the ACC, Washington wins the PAC-12, and Wisconsin wins the Big10, I see the final top 5 being:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State
5. Wisconsin

I think this is Ohio States path for making the playoffs. While Wisconsin will have the Big10 championship they lost the head to head with Ohio State and are from the weaker division of the Big10.

Ultimately, I just don't see two Big10 teams getting into the playoffs so long as Clemson and Washington win their respective conferences. I also believe Clemson will be the number 2 team so long as we win next weekend; regardless of what happens in the Big10.

I also believe the Big10 is over-rated at this point and that no Big10 team will survive the first round of playoff's to make it to the National Championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. The reason your logic works is because

Nov 29, 2016, 11:50 AM

you are putting the appropriate amount of value on the conference championship.

Appropriate = what the committee has communicated has significant weight in the past -- head to head and conference championship.

Nice job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I agree that's how it SHOULD be in each scenario... But,

Nov 29, 2016, 11:52 AM

when there's subjective options and political marketing involved, who knows....+1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on the CFP rankings for the next two weeks

Nov 29, 2016, 11:52 AM

All our team needs to do is focus on VT preparation and execution.
All else needs to be out of their minds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 Keys

Nov 29, 2016, 12:05 PM

Penn St winning the B1G and it will be interesting to see where Iowa and Nebraska land tonight. If Nebraska drops out and Iowa slides in the Top 25 then Penn St has the better résumé overall over OSU. Penn St will have the league championship, the head to head, with both winning 3 top 25 games. Which leaves only the similar foes, OSU holds that one with the Meechigan W and Penn St can overcome that with demolishing Wisconsin in the title game.

Pitt is also a factor and Temple could also come into play, imo, both in Penn State's favor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 12:33 PM

No way Penn St will be ranked ahead of Michigan tonight. Both have 2 losses, Michigan has more good wins, and Michigan beat them head to head by 39. Michigan will be 5, Wisconsin 6, and Penn St 7.

null

Nov 29, 2016, 1:22 PM

It is possible that for tonight's rankings that Michigan is ranked 5 but that is as high as they will ever go. Michigan is out of the playoff picture - no wiggle room, no path to the playoffs, no way no how. The math is simple - no 2 loss, non-division + non-conference champion gets in this year. So even if Michigan is ranked 5 tonight - they won't be ranked 5 come Sunday afternoon after the Big10 champ game because whoever wins that game will jump Michigan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. The reason your logic works is because

Nov 29, 2016, 12:52 PM

it's logical.

But football ain't.

If it were we'd have 8 teams: 5 power champions, 1 non-power team, and 2 at-large.

But they're not interested in logic or fairness. They're interested in money, and logic and fairness ONLY come into it if it gets them more money, or is going to cost them money.

You need to tweet this to Colin Cowherd

Nov 29, 2016, 1:22 PM

This is the most logical thought process / list I've seen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 1:30 PM

http://d30ratpzqzalg7.cloudfront.net/CD-drupal-cfp-PROD/s3fs-public/CFP%20Selection%20Committee%20Protocol.pdf?tV3FOZ68If3qops3X7XJQFmkEd00PiAY

Please read, championships will only be used if teams are alike when compared. Osu has better sos, wins against teams that beat psu, one less loss. Committee chair has said osu and psu are not comparable. Yes at that time, but since then osu beat Michigan and psu could beat Wisconsin. Advantage still osu

I don't understand why we are discounting Wisconsin if they

Nov 29, 2016, 1:34 PM

beat PSU...

I would argue Wisconsin has a better shot with a win than PSU does. I think Penn St. is a reach, but Wiscy is not.

IMO, if both Wisconsin and Washington win, the committee has a tough, tough, tough decision...

2 loss B1G champ with only losses to OSU and Michigan

or

1 loss PAC 12 Champ with the worst SOS in the FBS

don't be surprised if Wisc. gets in over Washington

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,666
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic