Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the Bowden vs Dabo debate...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,081

My take on the Bowden vs Dabo debate...

Dec 2, 2013, 3:26 PM

I think those that want Dabo gone and want to beat SCar really would rather have Bowden back. I have seen so many Dabo defenders arguing that we should keep Dabo because he has a better record than we had with Bowden. Really, I think everyone here can agree that Dabo has elevated our program and achieved more than we did with Bowden. I think that the dissent comes from the fact that the group that wants Dabo gone appreciates what Dabo has done, but think that he has reached his ceiling. We are better off now than when Dabo took over. However, I think many people here agree that we can't take the next step. It's not that people here would rather have Bowden back, but instead want to reach the next level of achievement. Dabo has elevated us to where we are not losing games we shouldn't. We even have won a big game or two. But we all want to take the next step, and many believe that Dabo is not capable of that.

So no, we don't want Dabo gone because he has done a terrible job, but we are hungry for more and believe that he is not the man that will take us there. So thanks Dabo, love what you have done, but think we would be better served to take the next step with someone else.

Sorry for rambling.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really would NOT want to have Bowden back. My bad.***

Dec 2, 2013, 3:27 PM

I think the quality of our program is about the same as

Dec 2, 2013, 3:27 PM

when Bowden resigned, only our competition has gotten much worse.

That being said, I don't want Bowden back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only IDIOTS think you fire a 10 win coach.

Dec 2, 2013, 3:30 PM

No rant needed, that's the facts, fire a 10 win coach and become the laughing stock of the media and NO ONE worth a CHIT will take the job. It's already happened before when Clemson Idiots fired a 9 win(11 game season) Hatfield and we got West, not HC material.

Like I said, it's not about the number wins. It's about the

Dec 2, 2013, 3:32 PM

number of quality wins. Dabo has gotten us to that 10 win mark consistently, where we are beating everyone on our schedule that we should. However, we need to be able to do more than that. We need to be able to compete year in and year out with quality teams like FSU and SCar, which with Dabo we have not been able to do.

I agree with you

Dec 2, 2013, 3:40 PM

I said the same thing last night.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14724883

This is the issue we're now facing, which isn't a whole lot different from the issue we faced in the last few years of Bowden's time here. Except now the ACC is even worse, and we've improved just enough to be clearly head and shoulders above those garbage teams (for now, at least). And please note, I said we HAVE improved since Bowden left. Enough to "turn the corner"? I think you have to base that on the competition we're beating and the competition we aren't beating.

For some folks, the 10 wins thing is all that matters. Get there (or even NEAR there most years) and Dabo is still golden. Beating SCar and being a realistic challenger for the conference title are secondary (at least as long as FSU is so far out in front of us).

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like I said, it's not about the number wins. It's about the

Dec 2, 2013, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Like I said, it's not about the number wins. It's about the ]

You have no clue if you think we would benefit in any way by firing Dabo. No coach in his right mind would come here if we fired him now. Recruiting would take a major hit. People lose all sense of reason ehen we lose to the coots. Nobody likes it,but many need to get a grip.

I agree with this as well

Dec 2, 2013, 3:46 PM

It's not time to fire Dabo. He's well beyond where Bowden left us. But as the seasons roll on, if there isn't any improvement, do you still feel that way? Two or three years from now, if we are still losing to most of the good teams on our schedule, is beating the Wakes, UVAs, Syracuses and SC States good enough as long as that equals 10 wins? It's a reasonable question, and I'm fully aware that a change could put us where Tennessee is now. They fired a national championship winner.

Re: Like I said, it's not about the number wins. It's about the

Dec 2, 2013, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Like I said, it's not about the number wins. It's about the ]

you guys really have no clue do you. Compare Dabo's "quality" wins to Ford's during regular season. About the same. Unfortunately, South Carolina has had their best team(s)in their history. Dabo did not fumble or throw a single INT saturday. That was the difference in that game. It's over, deal with it and move on. Dabo has built a foundation that I believe has not reached its potential yet. Look at the strides Tajh and the offense made since Morris' first year as OC. Likewise, look at improvement the defense made from last year in just year two under Venables. Until the last 3 years, Clemson was a classic under-achiever under TB, a laughing stock under West. Hatfield wasn't the right fit, but he did what he was hired to do; clean up the program.
We have great players coming back, a great red-shirt system and some big-time recruits coming. The quality is still getting better. Give it a rest, nah you won't. Same type people that constantly screamed for Ford's head with his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses.

Danny DEFINITELY lost some games he should have won

Dec 2, 2013, 4:46 PM

I remember a game against Sheridan's NCST team that still hurts. But I don't remember a lot of people calling for him to be fired. And you're also correct about the coots. Their program is far ahead of anywhere they've ever been. Losing to them is not a shame. Losing 5 in a row to them does tell you something about Clemson.

I hope your predictions about future success are correct. For that to happen, the fumbles and INT's will have to cease. The way you make them go away is through effective preparation in practice. That's where real confidence comes from. I sense this team often lacks confidence when faced with stiff competition. That's something Dabo needs to fix. If he doesn't and we keep losing most of the games against quality competition, then ultimately he will have to take responsibility for that.

Though I agree, I don't think we had to "settle" for West.***

Dec 2, 2013, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Only IDIOTS think you fire a 10 win coach. ]

null

Re: My take on the Bowden vs Dabo debate...

Dec 2, 2013, 3:42 PM

Is the next level win ACCCG and BCS bowls? Beat usc? The only level after that is win NC. Dabo has accomplished the first. Beating usc will happen. The NC? Who do you hire?

Next year will be Dabo's first full class taking the reigns

Dec 2, 2013, 3:44 PM

This was the Dandy Dozen's last year. Next year is the first time we'll have a fully stocked cupboard as far as numbers.

Let's wait and see what he does over the next two years before talking about ceilings. We're not exactly loaded with seniors this year, because of the "Dandy Dozen".

Re: My take on the Bowden vs Dabo debate...

Dec 2, 2013, 4:06 PM

Dabo is a great guy. He is leaps and bounds above Bowden. His only problem is recruiting linemen. We can't seem to seal the deal with those top tier offensive and defensive linemen. Until Clemson can land some of them we won't turn the "corner". Our coaching staff is young. As bad as I hate to say it Spurrier is one of the best coaches out there. He knew exactly how to spread our defense to allow Shaw to run. We have to get those elite linemen as well as skill position players to turn the corner. If that does not happen it does not matter who our coach is.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic