Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on "dual threat"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,295

My take on "dual threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 8:26 PM

It has bothered me for a long time why people insisted that DeShaun was a run-first QB. I have always assumed it was just an idiot gamecock fan (and this is what all of them say about him), or was an SEC bias thing. But the truth is that anyone who watched the man play 2 games will understand that he is not a run-first QB. Heck, he ran for 1,000 last year, but passed for over 4,00, right? I don't know how that qualifies you as a run-first QB.

Maybe it is about race. I'm white, so maybe I was naive. I will admit that. However, the same people who say he is a run-first QB also like to talk about his lack of size/small stature. They like say he needs to put on weight, etc. or won't be successful I the NFL. This bothers me too. He's 6'2" and weighed in at 218. Pretty small, I guess.

Bottom Line: DeShaun is the best FB player I have ever seen with an orange paw on his
Helmet since I started watching Clemson football (1986). Also, Tony Elliott is the best play caller I have seen for Clemson, ever.

Last: DeShaun has the most accurate deep ball I have ever seen in a college football QB in a long, long, time, probably ever. If he is actually better at running the ball than throwing the deep pass, I would like to see that!

Sorry to all for the rant.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW4 is right. It's like saying Renfrew reminds you

Aug 18, 2016, 8:31 PM

Wes Welker.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"of Wes Welker".***

Aug 18, 2016, 8:33 PM

Dual threat doesn't mean run-first. It means you can do both

Aug 18, 2016, 8:35 PM

extremely well.

Nobody claims that Deshaun is a run-first QB. But he's an awesome dual-threat. His intellectual capacity is his most impressive feature, but the dude can throw and run as well. He's a triple threat... unless that's even more offensive to say.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our offense allows, or even promotes, a qb's running...

Aug 18, 2016, 8:37 PM

the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps

Aug 18, 2016, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Dual threat doesn't mean run-first. It means you can do both ]

But I have heard several times that he is a run-first QB, which just isn't true. I think that is why he got peeved and made the comments. No doubt his running capabilities opens up the passing game for him, and vice-versa

source?***

Aug 18, 2016, 10:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnny Football, Chad Kelly, Braxton Miller, Baker Mayfield,

Aug 18, 2016, 8:42 PM

and several other dual threats are white. All were/are great talents on the field. I have no idea what the problem is but I'm not about to waste time trying to prove I'm not a racist even though I consider DW the best dual threat to ever play the game. Yeah, I'm looking at you Vince Young.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i didn't mean to say that there

Aug 18, 2016, 8:51 PM

Is racism definitely going on re: DeShaun. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. I'm willing to admit that perhaps there is. But really, his being a running QB is just false, regardless of anything else.

He's one heck of a runner to not be called dual threat.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:27 PM

I think the opposing coaches consider him a dual threat and I'm certain the defense he's torched running call him a dual threat. I doubt anyone considers the color of his skin. They all seem to want to kill him indiscriminately.

and none of those u named hold any value in the

Aug 18, 2016, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Johnny Football, Chad Kelly, Braxton Miller, Baker Mayfield, ]

NFL. Which is his point. He doesn't want to be pigeon holed at the next level. Or have a reputation as an "athlete

Braxton Miller? Huh?***

Aug 19, 2016, 2:33 AM [ in reply to Johnny Football, Chad Kelly, Braxton Miller, Baker Mayfield, ]

(not a white guy)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on "dual threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 8:47 PM

I feel like the problem is that often when the experts say "duel threat" they mean "run-first".

The next sentence is OFTEN but not always something about not staying in the pocket and throwing. Or how duel threat is not the best in the NFL.

I personally believe DW4 is the best football player I have had the privilege to watch. He is an amazing QB. He is a duel threat.

But he can't afford for the experts to put him in a category that allows for some to discredit him. He has to speak up and make people listen about how great of a QB he is and about how he is a QB first who just happens to be an amazing athlete.

I'm more interested in the threshold we've seemed to reach where some

Aug 18, 2016, 8:53 PM

Tiger fans will no longer support DW. You'd fight a #### fan in the parking lot for suggesting DW wasn't the best college QB but you won't support him on a semi-race-related issue?

dont think I said anything about fighting in a parking lot

Aug 18, 2016, 9:15 PM

But, yes, I do/would defend him against anyone who tries to degrade his abilities based on race.

The point I was trying to make is that the generalization that he runs first is false.

OMG! DUAL THREAT DOES NOT EQUAL RUN FIRST

Aug 18, 2016, 9:04 PM

Your take on dual-threat is highly uneducated. This is really getting stupid.

People say he is run first, that's the truth. Regardless of

Aug 18, 2016, 9:11 PM

The definition of "dual threat"

People said ... no one says that any more.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:27 PM

This is out of control. He is a dual-threat QB. One of many and at the top of most lists. Dual-threat does not mean he is a run first QB. It means the exact same thing that it means for all of the other QBs who are labeled dual-threat. It means that they are very good (a threat) at passing the ball and running the ball. Dual - meaning 2 threats.

Re: People said ... no one says that any more.

Aug 18, 2016, 10:26 PM

A dual dimension QB, that should be a good thing to be but, DW4 don't like the termination that most think a dual threat QB is. Most do think that they are a run first QB that will throw the ball when they have to. That is the reason that DW4 says that he threw the ball for over 13,000 yards in HS, and only run it for 4,057 yards. He feels that he is, and he really is a passing first QB, and that is how he wants people to see him as a FB player, a QB, and a ### good one at that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is not the only one.

Aug 18, 2016, 10:58 PM

Others earn this title. Buzz term is "dual-threat". For all of them it means that they are good at running and passing at the QB position.

There is not anyone left in the CFB media world, or NFL media world, who thinks that DW4 is a run first QB. Everyone knows he is a full on all out threat in every way shape or form.

Who and when has anyone said that.***

Aug 18, 2016, 9:29 PM [ in reply to People say he is run first, that's the truth. Regardless of ]

You never heard anyone say he's runfirst or is small?

Aug 18, 2016, 9:43 PM

Ok ...

It started out stupid.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:29 PM [ in reply to OMG! DUAL THREAT DOES NOT EQUAL RUN FIRST ]

It's just worse when it's discussed on a message board.

Here is My take on "dual threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 9:32 PM

He can beat your ### coming and going

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: My take on "dual threat"

Aug 18, 2016, 10:05 PM

DW4 is not to small to be an NFL QB, If he gets to 225 @ 6'2", that would be a great size for him. It would be a plus if he was a couple inches taller. Then again it could be a negative bc really tall people as the norm aren't that fast or stable on their feet. DW4 ran a 4.95 when he was recruited to Clemson, and just guessing that he is stronger and faster now than he was coming in, so I'm guessing he is 4.80 in the condition that he is now. Anybody that says that DW4 isn't the size for an NFL QB, they don't know as much as they think they know about NFL QB's. His size, his skill set, and his exceptional smarts makes him just right to play as a QB in the NFL. That is exactly why he will be drafted early in the first round as an NFL QB!!!

http://www.sprayberryfootball.com/page/show/292837-nfl-player-specs

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,295
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic