Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,693

My take on Watson

Nov 14, 2016, 10:06 AM

We wouldn't have won many of the games we have over the past 2 to 3 years without him, and he's a competitor who leaves it all out there on the field. He has my utmost respect, and so this isn't a shot at him at all.

But he has shown this year that in real time he can make some very odd decisions. Now of course he's human, and he's an infinitely better QB than I could ever be, and I'm not taking shot at him. But that 2nd down play at the goal line is a perfect example of a pass that just can't be made. The upside (of the TD compared to a FG) is so much lower than the potential downside, that you just can't make that pass into traffic.

That's not taking a shot at him, it's just pointing out that the coaches need to reinforce to him the game scenario logic and that Watson still has that to absorb.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that's a fair assessment

Nov 14, 2016, 10:12 AM

The first INT he threw in the end zone, I just don't think he saw the DB who picked him off. His receiver looked open. The 2nd one was a real head-scratcher. There's no possible way that looked open to him. And in that scenario, where we were in that game, if it doesn't look wide, 100% open, you throw it through the end zone and into the stands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think that's a fair assessment

Nov 14, 2016, 10:18 AM

It's something you see in college that generally gets corrected when guys go to the NFL. In college there are pass plays that are supposed to go to one guy, period. Everything else is set up to try to spring that one route, but sometimes the defense just guesses correctly. I can't say whether or not that was the case on the 3rd interception without seeing a full view of other potential routes, but I know that he has a tendency to do it on designed screens pretty often. He'll fake one way and throw to a guy who has a defender practically hanging on him behind the line of scrimmage because that's where the play is supposed to go. Eventually one of those is going to get picked and returned as well. He's got to do a much better job of seeing when those plays just aren't there and either eating a sack or diving up the middle for a yard or two.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I obviously like our coaching staff

Nov 14, 2016, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I think that's a fair assessment ]

And have enjoyed the success we've had immensely.

But I wonder if the aggressive mentality they hold leads to some of these decisions.

Another play comes to mind. Against OH ST, on 3rd and 5 (ish) with a lead late we call a passing play where Boyd tried to squeeze a pass in and it was intercepted giving them another shot (we promptly intercepted it back).

I wonder if the "ATTACK!" mindset sometimes causes us to make poor decisions. Again, I'll take the overall outcomes, but sometimes it comes back to bite us.

One of the things that sometimes gets thrown around here is us "Playing not to lose", but I'd argue that had we played not to lose with 5 minutes left in the game then we would've won Saturday. Had we run and taken the FG down int he redzone, or had punted on 4th and 1, then we might well not be having this conversation.

We survived the Auburn game, but again not taking the FG late was being aggressive and "playing to win" when a conservative call of the FG may have made that late game scenario much less taxing on Tiger fans' hearts and nerves.

The team that successfully plays not to lose is the winner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, but I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th

Nov 14, 2016, 10:23 AM

down instead of punting. I would have liked to see a different play called, a play where we win the game with the ball in Watson's hands...getting him outside the pocket with an option to throw or run, but our offense should be able to pick up 1 yard to win the game and stay undefeated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I think you do that on 3rd down.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:25 AM

And then you've had your chance. On 4th down there I think you punt, but I do understand the idea that "one yard and you've won the game".

I just think that once you don't get the yard on third then you have to look at game scenarios and think that punting is your best bet.

Re: Sure, but I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th

Nov 14, 2016, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Sure, but I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th ]

I was surprised the running play was called on 3rd and one. We were moving the ball passing in the flats and Williams was abusing the DB over the top. Pitt had stuffed the run all day and it wasn't working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think that's a fair assessment

Nov 14, 2016, 10:25 AM [ in reply to I think that's a fair assessment ]

The 1st INT in the end zone was a GREAT adjustment/read by the DB. As Watson was making his read it looked like he was following our guy over the middle. I don't have any qualms with that one.

The 2nd one is a pass that shouldn't be thrown. But Watson has shown that he has a "gunslinger" mentality kind of like Brett Favre. Favre is one of the best QBs to ever play the game, but he put his team in some bad situations over the years with his forcing of throws resulting in INTs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: My take on Watson

Nov 14, 2016, 10:21 AM

Funny you said that, and this isn't a shot at him either. But MANY times, the
game seems to be moving too fast for him even. But just my opinion, quite frankly.
He isn't a passer, especially from the pocket. He needs to be moved around, and
has to make quicker decisions.
Still great QB.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:29 AM

He appeared to me to just be looking at ONE guy on both of those INTs. Still a GREAT QB. Still a GREAT team. Just the little things.................

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2016, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: My take on Watson ]

Don't know where you come up with he is not a passer. The man has made a lot of great throws from the pocket.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:45 AM

IMO on both the 2nd int and the 3rd/4th & 1 that a healthy Watson tucks it and runs a qb draw and the int never gets thrown and/or we pick up the first down. Even with a "non" running DW he could have faked the toss to WG and walked out of bounds or maybe scored on the 4th down play. Also, WG missed his cut on 4th & 1. He had room to bounce it outside.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2016, 10:46 AM

3rd int - my bad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2016, 10:48 AM

OR maybe we could have ran it 3 times and either scored or kicked a fg to go uo by 11.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2016, 10:50 AM

You got it. Guess that's y this one stings so much. Does anyone know how DW really "is" doing? Is his knee and his shoulder banged up?

I think that's an absolutely fair assessment.

Nov 14, 2016, 10:51 AM

That being said, your last sentence should also ring true with the coaching staff. The game logic there dictates that you run the ball on 2nd and goal from the 3, and then you run it on 3rd and goal too. If they stop you both times, you've run 90 seconds off the clock and you get to kick a field goal to take a two possession lead. Then it's 45-34 and they have roughly 3:40 to play.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,693
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic