Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on Virginia Tech and This Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,764

My take on Virginia Tech and This Game

Nov 27, 2016, 2:04 PM

Figured you'd guys like to know a little bit about our team from one of us, so here goes...

QB: Evans is a solid QB. He can run a bit, he can pass a bit. He is a little raw as a passer and tends to be one... MAYYYYBE two reads and run.

RB: We have a mess here. Going into the season, we thought we were loaded. By Marshawn Williams got hurt, Shai McKenzie has had some off-field concerns, and McMillian is not a natural RB as he runs too high and can't seem to fall forward. I expect us to start Sam Rogers, a converted FB.

WR/TE: Isaiah Ford is one of the best receivers in the country. Bucky Hodges is one of the best physical specimens in the country (He's taller than Logan Thomas for instance, haha) and is a converted TE. Outside of them, Cam Phillips is a solid receiver but then there is little else behind him. All three are Juniors, but only Phillips is expected back next year.

OL: We have gotten very little push from our OL in the run game, but we seem to be OK in pass blocking. Wyatt Teller is a very good OL, but tends to get penalized a lot. Overall, we are about average on the OL.

DL: Ken Ekanem is a solid pass rusher and Trevon Hill is developing in a similar mold. DTs are solid, but not spectacular. That said, remember the name Tim Settle. You'll hear it quite a bit over the next year or two.

LB: The weakness of the defense that simply lacks the overall speed we are used to in Blacksburg. Andrew Motuapuaka is targeted by opposing offenses and with reason. At times, it's almost as it he can't see very well because he takes himself out of plays he should be in the middle of. Tremaine Edmonds is a decent physical specimen, but is probably starting a year earlier than he should be, thanks to a lot of recruiting misses we have had at the position.

DB: We have gotten the nickname of DBU over the years, and with good reason. But our current DBs simply aren't at that level. Brandon Facyson was better when he was younger, but injuries seem to have rendered him a step slower. Greg Stroman is fast, but is very raw. He has made great leaps, but isn't quite there yet. Safeties are above average, but nothing to write home about.

STs: Joey Slye is solid inside of about 40 yards. But unreliable at best outside of 40. Mitchell Ludwig is not very strong legged at Punter, but is decent at pinning opponents deep. Kick/Punt returning had been below average, but the discoveries of Henri Murphy seems to have created a spark in the kick return game.

As for how I see the game, it really depends on what team shows up. If the team that showed up in Syracuse or against GT shows up, you guys runs us out of the stadium. If the team that played UVA, BC, or UNC shows up, we have a shot.

Ultimately, I think we'll play well for a while, possibly even having the lead at halftime as our defense will keep your offense relatively in check. But a couple turnovers will turn the game and Clemson wins going away 34-17.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. Worth the read. Helpful. nm

Nov 27, 2016, 2:17 PM

nm

Tim Settle...

Nov 27, 2016, 2:59 PM

Remember him from recruiting

Last I heard, was out of shape, overrated, and had character concerns. Maybe a couple years in the program can maximize his potential

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's getting his stuff together

Nov 27, 2016, 6:50 PM

He dropped quite a bit of weight this past offseason. I believe he's down to about 330 and when he's in the game, he makes some plays. My guess is that he will be a force to be reckoned with next season (even if I see the Hokies dropping off a bit next season).

Is the spread still -9?***

Nov 27, 2016, 7:46 PM

10.5***

Nov 27, 2016, 9:03 PM

I'd tend to agree

Nov 27, 2016, 8:30 PM

I think you only have one advantage on both sides of the field and that's Ford vs Tankersley and that can be mitigated some with safety help. Hodges isn't really a Great wr, he's a big target and wins jump balls, but he doesn't separate on his routes, so he really only scares me in the red zone.

To your point I don't think you'll be able to run much, unless it's with misdirection. Your QB will likely be your best option to allow for misdirection and to take advantage of an extra blocker. If you can't run and have to play from behind the chains I think it will be tough to neutralize the pressure venables will bring.

This years va tech defense is physically tough but not as talented as prior years. I imagine we'll struggle to run as well with traditional runs, but I think that the quick screens and QB runs can be effective. Plus I think our wrs vs your dbs is a win on paper.

Ultimately I think we're the more talented team on both sides of the ball so for us it comes down to not turning the ball over as that's really the only reason we've lost or been in close games. I think you guys have to find an alternative to the traditional run game, like Pitt did, and build an offensive game plan around that to have a chance and create turnovers.

Looking forward to the game.

I agree that we'll have a hard time running

Nov 27, 2016, 8:42 PM

I think Evans will run for a few yards. And I think we'll get Rogers a few carries that might pick up 5-7 yards. But I don't see us consistently moving the ball with the running game.

I agree Hodges isn't a consistently great WR, but he has actually made a number of big plays down the field in his career. Ford is a great WR and should scare you, and I think Phillips is a legitimate weapon as well and a great complement to Ford.

I'm glad my Hokies are finally relevant again though. It would be even better if we could have beaten Syracuse and Georgia Tech. Without those two duds, this game could be a battle for a playoff berth. Without one of them, we would probably at least be a lock for an Orange Bowl bid.

Re: My take on Virginia Tech and This Game

Nov 27, 2016, 9:08 PM

Never believe your enemy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on Virginia Tech and This Game

Nov 27, 2016, 9:08 PM

VTechfan, good stuff. I have not watched your guys play a ton, but from what I have seen, you are spot on. I truly believe that Fuente has yall in the right direction, and I believe yall will own that side of the ACC in short order.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats on making the Champ game - glad to have yall back

Nov 27, 2016, 9:33 PM

in the talk - probably not going to turn out in your favor this trip but nice coach hire will send you to the ACCCG again for sure. Hokies on the rise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what causes your bad games ?

Nov 27, 2016, 9:38 PM

For us its turnovers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turnovers are big for us too

Nov 27, 2016, 9:58 PM

In the Tennessee game, we turned the ball over five times. Three of those were completely unforced (one was off of a bad snap and we dug a deep hole IIRC on another bad snap). Despite the score and the five fumbles, we actually played pretty well against the Vols. Though, I'm not at all surprised that they turned out to be fairly average. I wasn't that impressed.

Against GT, we fumbled the opening kickoff and that set the tone. Of course, we turned the ball over three more times that night. We also happened to get a FG blocked too which didn't help. But the score was not indicative of just how bad we got beat in that game. It was 30-7 at a point.

Against Syracuse, I'm not really sure what happened (I was at work and didn't get to see the game). I do know that our defense just could never seem to get themselves off the field. Syracuse went 10-21 on third down that night, but then they also went 4-5 on 4th down. Even still, we should have scored more than 17 points.

+1 for finding a way to mention the

Nov 27, 2016, 10:10 PM

Height of Logan Thomas!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the game Saturday, you'll never forget

Nov 27, 2016, 10:14 PM

That Bucky Hodges is 6'7. Believe me, he's YUGE.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,764
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic