Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My stepdaughter joined the march in DC this weekend.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1,266

My stepdaughter joined the march in DC this weekend.

Mar 26, 2018, 8:51 PM

Her comment:

The March for Our Lives was easily one of the most moving experiences of my life. It's inspiring to see so many people - especially from my generation - able to organize a movement of this scale, although it's heartbreaking that we feel we have to. Day by day, we're making a difference. #votethemout #marchforourlives

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: My stepdaughter joined the march in DC this weekend.

Mar 26, 2018, 8:55 PM

#on the right side of history

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm very proud of her.

Mar 26, 2018, 9:23 PM

This is her freshman year at GWU. She's going to be some variety of political science or international relations major.

So happy to see her taking advantage of the location for events like Saturday's. GWU students live within walking distance of the National Mall.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: I'm very proud of her.

Mar 26, 2018, 9:25 PM

congrats, I have little doubt she will make great progress in taking away our rights. ;)

BTW, a good buddy of mine I grew up with that went to school there for music, he lives in spain now.

So 6 figures of debt

Mar 26, 2018, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I'm very proud of her. ]

And completely unemployable. Sounds great.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She could be very employable with those majors.*****

Mar 26, 2018, 9:56 PM

I'll let you know in a few years.

Mar 26, 2018, 10:10 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

She has been an amazing success so far. I think she'll do great.

- Jonathan Swift

Going to a school in DC, a very highly regarded one at that,

Mar 26, 2018, 10:15 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

In those fields with intern possibilities abounding, and you think she’ll be unemployable?

Does not compute.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that was uncalled for, but it does remind me of Dr Graben...

Mar 26, 2018, 10:34 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

If any of you were at Clemson in the early 80s, he briefly taught Poli Sci. We came back from a model UN conference laughing about this obnoxious guy who was on the other team. He kept coming up with these outlandish hypothetical situations. We told Dr. Graben that the guy was a double major in Poli Sci and Philosophy and his response was something to the effect of “Wow, that guy can’t wait to get to the unemployment line.” :-D

null

Grr. Early 90s, not 80s. I’m not THAT old.***

Mar 26, 2018, 10:51 PM

null

His son is running for Trey Gowdy's seat.

Mar 27, 2018, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Well, that was uncalled for, but it does remind me of Dr Graben... ]

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/03/15/former-state-sen-lee-bright-and-democrat-eric-graben-seek-upstate-congressional-seat/430315002/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s him, not his son. He left Clemson to go to law school

Mar 27, 2018, 8:01 AM

and he’s a practicing attorney in Greenville.

I’ll say this about Eric Graben - he is sharp. Easily one of my favorite professors at Clemson. I got a good grade in his class and it was the proudest grade I got, because he really made you earn it. He challenged you, and it never felt arbitrary. The class debates were what I always thought college Poli Sci debates would be. The comments on your assignments made your next paper better. Just a very impressive intellect. Take that for what it’s worth from one semester 25 years ago.

null

OK, didn't pay attention to the time frame.

Mar 27, 2018, 2:45 PM

I assume everyone is as old as I am.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Explain why that means unemployable.***

Mar 26, 2018, 10:50 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Do thos emajors typically lead to a position in

Mar 27, 2018, 10:32 AM

something that actually involved their major?

What does someone do with a Poli sci degree? I've never seen an advertisement for a political scientist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many go to law school. I didn't. My career has been in

Mar 27, 2018, 11:12 AM

Higher Education Administration for over 30 years and now in Higher Education consulting.

The main thing is that they have to take tons of political, foreign policy, defense policy, international relations, history, and english lit classes.

They become educated most importantly in how to write, unlike many Engineering majors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey! Me has a engineering degree!

Mar 27, 2018, 12:21 PM

What are you trying to getting at???

null

Government jobs possibly too.*****

Mar 27, 2018, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Do thos emajors typically lead to a position in ]

President Obama majored in Poli Sci.

Mar 27, 2018, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Do thos emajors typically lead to a position in ]

Apparently it's not always a career killer.

- Jonathan Swift

Condoleezza Rice is a political scientist.***

Mar 27, 2018, 2:47 PM

- Jonathan Swift

She also has her PHD***

Mar 27, 2018, 3:19 PM

I'm sure.***

Mar 27, 2018, 4:07 PM

- Jonathan Swift

He was also a lawyer.

Mar 27, 2018, 3:14 PM [ in reply to President Obama majored in Poli Sci. ]

That seems a little different to me.

It's a common major for lawyers.

Mar 27, 2018, 4:07 PM

Though personally I swear by philosophy as the very best major for future lawyers.

- Jonathan Swift

Point being that w/o further education

Nov 14, 2011, 1:25 PM

those majors aren't in and of themselves intrinsically employable.

Not really sure why that matters

Mar 27, 2018, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Do thos emajors typically lead to a position in ]

Those majors do typically lead to good, white collar jobs, and many of our leaders studied those subjects.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Usually, after they attend even more schooling

Mar 27, 2018, 3:14 PM

like law degrees.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

Mar 27, 2018, 3:16 PM

People who go on to the upper echelons of society usually go on to other schooling anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure seems like it.

Mar 27, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Do thos emajors typically lead to a position in ]

Never have understood why so many folks think only STEM degrees lead to gainful employment (not saying you believe that but that's where the other poster was going with it, I'm certain).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

This is really dumb***

Mar 27, 2018, 3:09 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

Re: So 6 figures of debt

Mar 30, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to So 6 figures of debt ]

ClemsonZJ said:

And completely unemployable. Sounds great.

Believe me- those majors are going to be in high demand once we try to rebuild after this shipwreck.

They've done so well for such long time.

Mar 30, 2018, 1:48 PM

And cost us 21 Trillion in debt.

Sounds like we need some accountants to me.

Foggy Bottom!***

Mar 26, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to I'm very proud of her. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So.. What is this March about?

Mar 26, 2018, 8:59 PM

Guess I'll Google iGun control. Got it.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was the March For Our Lives on Saturday.***

Mar 26, 2018, 9:09 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Did everyone live?***

Mar 27, 2018, 4:26 PM

It's an extremely dishonest name.

Mar 29, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to It was the March For Our Lives on Saturday.*** ]

It should be entitled "We demand that these specific gun control actions be taken and we want everyone to think that if you don't agree with these specific policies that you do not care about children's lives."

I guess that is a bit too cumbersome, but the idea behind the march is a sham. They are not saving lives, they are unwittingly contributing to the destruction of the Constitution. It's not even a trade off. Fixing NICS would save lives, but that isn't a part of the narrative for political reasons. So naive, intelligent young people are throwing their industry away for a lie.

Spoon and mini-spoon disagree.***

Mar 30, 2018, 10:47 AM

- Jonathan Swift

I think the vast majority of the kids marching are doing so

Mar 26, 2018, 11:36 PM [ in reply to So.. What is this March about? ]

because they want something done about school shootings and gun violence in general. That's certainly a good and admirible thing, and I have a great deal of respect for that. Unfortunately, I think many of them are under the false impression that guns and republicans are the problem, and will only find disappointment when going after those things does not result in any real reduction in gun violence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Then grow a brain and become Republicans in 10 years

Mar 27, 2018, 2:39 PM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Is that your goal?******

Mar 27, 2018, 2:56 PM

You have to choose.

Mar 27, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Then grow a brain and become Republicans in 10 years ]

You can't do both

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I think the vast majority of the kids marching are doing so

Mar 28, 2018, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I think the vast majority of the kids marching are doing so ]

Pretty much what I think. I believe they are under the false belief that gun grabbing is going to stop or slow down violence. People can get pretty creative with killing people (see any kook that has made a bomb or ran people over with a truck). They're are some things that can be done to help keep guns away from criminals but at this point there's so many guns out there, there is no going back. They should be marching against violence in general, not guns.

Mar 26, 2018, 9:37 PM

Though I disagree with the focus of more gun control, it is good to see people stand for those things they believe in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I am of the same mindset.

Mar 26, 2018, 11:10 PM

If folks believe that strongly in something, then stand up and shout to the heavens for what you believe. One of the beauties of the first amendment. Just don’t expect me to go along with everything that is said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm skeptical this is about strong principles...

Mar 27, 2018, 2:43 PM

so much as it is about wanting to feel like you're a part of a movement (especially a movement against Trump, who's easy to hate), and looking for anything to believe strongly enough to start a movement. Let's not forget that there have been marches/movements like this seemingly every couple of months over the last couple of years.

Re: I'm skeptical this is about strong principles...

Mar 27, 2018, 4:29 PM

I think people are seriously sick of school shootings and want fewer guns in the country.

Questioning the principles of thousands of anti-gun protesters is like questioning the principles of Tea Party protests. Yes, there are idiots in every group, but there are serious principles underlying the movement.

- Jonathan Swift

I don't like the over-emphasis on politics, though

Mar 27, 2018, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: My stepdaughter joined the march in DC this weekend. ]

I worry when people start having almost spiritual experiences when participating in politics, and connecting those experiences with partisanship.

It will be interesting to see if this has an impact

Mar 26, 2018, 9:41 PM

on voter turnout among folks under 50 for this mid term and beyond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: It will be interesting to see if this has an impact

Mar 26, 2018, 9:49 PM

this could possibly be the dems version of the tea party wave, just without the silly costumes

It will have an impact on people already of that mindset

Mar 27, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to It will be interesting to see if this has an impact ]

I would guess that the people participating in this are already motivated voters, though.

My 17 year old daughter marched here in Naples with about

Mar 26, 2018, 10:47 PM

3000 people.

Radical.***

Mar 27, 2018, 12:25 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What changes does she want to see happen?***

Mar 27, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to My 17 year old daughter marched here in Naples with about ]

She told me she doesn't believe in banning all guns.

Mar 28, 2018, 11:38 AM

She does want the large magazines banned and also the guns that can be converted from semi-auto to auto.

My daughter and grand kids marched in White Plains NY

Mar 27, 2018, 12:58 AM

7 year old grand daughter made a sign that said "Less Guns, More Glitter".

Her 4 year old brother made a sign but not sure exactly what it said.

"Times - They are a changing"

This is why I'm with these kids.

Mar 27, 2018, 11:16 AM

Whether I agree with the message or not, at least they are caring and making their voices heard. Now they need to VOTE come November.

I like your funny words magic man

Mar 27, 2018, 11:18 AM

Good to hear that people are advocating for life and standing up against abortion and planned parenthood. Good for her!

Wait, this was about gun control?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2018, 11:28 AM

all about you board============>

Yikes***

Mar 27, 2018, 2:28 PM

I hope this leads to change. Sadly, I don't think it will.

Mar 31, 2018, 8:25 AM

Our system is broken and it is run by nothing but money.

As long as the NRA has the deep pockets it has and our politicians are allowed to take said money, nothing will change.

I said to my wife after the FL shooting, "What would it take?" Lining up babies and puppies and shooting them all in the head on live TV?" I don't even think that would change anything.

But good for her for taking action.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 60
| visibility 1,266
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic