Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem with Basketball fans and expectations....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

The problem with Basketball fans and expectations....

Feb 13, 2017, 4:57 PM

So, here's a comment by a poster I will kindly leave unnamed:

"We just went through 7 straight years of program improvement with 3 straight years of NIT berths (going deeper into the tournament each year until we reached the finals) followed by 4 straight years of NCAA Tournament appearances. During that time we also went to the ACC Tournament Championship game where we barely lost to a top ranked UNC team.

The current coach took that success and flushed it down the toilet. We don't have a Clemson problem, we have a coach problem."

You see this person thinks he's being logical.

Question: What did 4 years straight of NCAA do for the Clemson basketball "tradition or Brand" ,

that 3 years' straight of 11-win seasons and 5 years' straight of beating Clemson

couldn't do for the South Carolina Football program?

What exactly has changed with the USuCk football program due to that "hiccup" of success?

Nada... zilch...

and why people think then that 4 years' of NCAA has "changed" 100 previous years of basketball futility at Clemson

is well beyond me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with Basketball fans and expectations....

Feb 13, 2017, 4:58 PM

Why the hell do you randomly press enter when you type. It makes reading your ramblings much harder than it needs to be.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

well they're "ramblings", so what do you care?

Feb 13, 2017, 4:59 PM

r
i
g
h
t?

Re: well they're "ramblings", so what do you care?

Feb 13, 2017, 5:02 PM

If you want to look like more of an idiot that is fine by me. It is hard to take anyone serious who types the way you do.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

My expecatations are not that high

Feb 13, 2017, 5:44 PM

I'm not expecting us to suddenly become Duke or UNC. I'm not expecting us to become UVa or Syracuse.

Like most basketball fans, our expectations are not unreal. I just want to go the the tournament maybe once every three years. I know we can't compete with more than half the teams in the league in terms of basketball tradition and national perception. What we CAN do, and it's been proven, is have a couple of good tourney caliber teams every 5 years or so. My exposure to Clemson basketball goes back to the late 80's so in my view of Clemson basketball history we've had 5 coaches.

Ellis - In 10 seasons, Ellis had 3 NCAA tournament teams and 5 NIT teams. He won Clemson's only league regular season title. He was fired after 4 consecutive seasons without an NCAA appearance.

Rick Barnes - In 4 seasons, Barnes had 3 NCAA tournament teams and 1 NIT team. He left for greener pastures at Texas.

Larry Shyatt - In 5 Seasons Shyatt had no NCAA appearances and 1 NIT appearance. He was fired after 5 seasons.

Oliver Purnell - In 7 seasons Purnell had 3 NCAA appearances and 3 NIT appearances. He left after his 3rd consecutive NCAA bid.

Brad Brownlee - In 7 seasons Brownlee has 1 NCAA appearance and 1 NIT appearance. Assuming that we likely don't make the NCAA tourney this season, we will have gone 6 seasons without a tourney appearance. This is the LONGEST tourney drought by a single coach since pre-Cliff Ellis era. (Shyatt/Purnell combined for a 9 year absence).

So looking over that history, why are you so convinced fans have high expectations? We've never had a coach go this many years without a tourney appearance. We've fired TWO that had shorter gaps in tourey appearances (Shyatt after 5 seasons, Ellis after 4 seasons). All I want is the same level of average basketball we've managed since before Brownlee, but he's managed to take average and make it worse. I'm not going to pretend that another coach comes in here an makes the tournament next year, but I just want some reason to think may we'd get back to being average and as long as Brownlee is here about all we can hope for is an NIT bid every third season. He's a very slight upgrade to Larry Shyatt.

Well, your expectations suck.

Feb 13, 2017, 5:53 PM

Why do you not want a program which makes the NCAA Tournament every year? Why not expect to compete with UNC and Duke? We obviously have a long way to go, but if we aren't shooting for that and thus planning for it, it will never happen.

If we are content just making the NCAA Tournament once every few years like you and others on here like to say, then why even have a basketball program? Seriously, it is such a wimpy, loser mentality to have a program and not want to compete at the highest level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

My point is

Feb 13, 2017, 5:56 PM

That by even the lowest standards of success, we have the wrong coach.

100% dead Judge Keller, if these buffoons don't expect to...

Feb 13, 2017, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Well, your expectations suck. ]

win then we never will. Many on here that are happy just being studs in Football. I expect us to dominate in everything and there is no reason not to.

I think Clemson should field one of the top 68 teams

Feb 13, 2017, 6:10 PM [ in reply to My expecatations are not that high ]

in the NCAA every season

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At a minimum.....****

Feb 13, 2017, 6:17 PM

Re: My expecatations are not that high

Feb 13, 2017, 6:18 PM [ in reply to My expecatations are not that high ]

Clemson has NEVER had a basketball coach named Brownlee ....
Genius

There is absolutely no reason that Clemson can't have a good

Feb 13, 2017, 6:39 PM

basketball program, one that is consistently better than it has traditionally been.

I'm not saying it would be easy (our lack of tradition does make it more difficult), or that we will ever compete with UNC/Dook/Louisville year-in, year-out, but we can be better than we have been. That should be the expectation. When perpetual mediocrity is viewed as unacceptable, it will become unaccepted, and it will change; it's that simple. No reason whatsoever it can't.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree....

Feb 13, 2017, 9:54 PM

I just don't think everyone screaming and hollering for blood

is really the way to go about it.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic