Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My personal favorite Coach Frank Howard story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

My personal favorite Coach Frank Howard story

Mar 1, 2018, 8:05 PM

As an incoming freshman at Clemson in 1968, our first football season pep rally was in Fike Field House. It was a crazy experience for all the freshmen, who were just getting into the whole Clemson "thing." Everything was raised up a notch, when Coach Howard . . . the man, the myth, the legend . . . stepped to the microphone.

Don't ask me how the subject of fraternities came up, but it did. Just imagine the gravelly-voiced Frank Howard explain that he didn't know much about fraternities, since the only one he was a member of was . . . wait for it . . . "I-Felta-Thigh." Well, the place went wild, since it was a 95% male audience. Since that moment, I've had a strong feeling for the man. He personified the old-school Clemson, as much as Coach Dabo Sweeney personifies the modern Clemson. It shows the "progress" we've made over fifty years, but the Clemson spirit lives on just as strongly today as it did then.

Do any of you elder Tigers have any personal Frank Howard stories?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you weren't worried about being an intern?***

Mar 1, 2018, 8:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mines:

Mar 1, 2018, 10:38 PM

In the late 70s a reporter axed Coach Howard who would win in a foot race, Lester Brown or Banks McFadden (as in during Banks’ playing days)?

Coach said it’d be close, but remember Banks is 61.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My personal favorite Coach Frank Howard story

Mar 1, 2018, 10:46 PM

My dad whose birthday is today, played ball for him his freshman year. Dad used to laugh and tell me some crazy things he said and did... I wish I had written them down.

Coach Frank Howard story

Mar 1, 2018, 10:56 PM

Dad graduated in 1941, but he knew Howard on a personal level. When Dad came back from the war, on his first visit back and DV was there, he asked Coach Howard how he got the stadium ready for the first season.

Coach Howard told Dad, "To get them to work on Saturdays(in the Summer), I bought a heck of a lot of ice cream."

INB4 #METOO***

Mar 2, 2018, 7:38 AM

In the late 80's my roommate and I decided to go by his

Mar 2, 2018, 8:03 AM

office and get a photo. He invited us in and said it was always nice to have students drop in. He was filling out his selections for the north/south all star game so we helped him with that, he actually filled in many of our choices. When we asked for the photo he called in a secretary to take it. We're all ready and he says to stop. He spits his tobacco out into his palm and says that his wife told him to never have his photo taken with tobacco in his mouth. So we ended up with a photo of us, with Frank Howard, where you can see his chew in chew in his open palm in front of him. I wish I still had that photo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic