Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My issue with CFP narratives.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

My issue with CFP narratives.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:00 AM

I constantly hear an argument of are you supposed to put the 4 best teams in or the 4 most deserving. I don't buy into either narrative specifically. The purpose of the CFP playoff is to identify the One Best team in the country. If I know that one team is better than another, there is no point in the second team to be in even if I believe they are the 2nd best team in the country. That is the reason that I believe that they put conference championships and head to head matchups high up on the committee's set of guidelines.

It is tough to judge conference to conference how things really stack up. We can make some judgements using the transitive property, but you can end up with totally different opinions depending on what games that you use. Therefore, it provides highly questionable results.

That brings me to Alabama. I believe that Alabama is one of the 4 best teams in the country, and there are probably a lot of people who would agree. However, there is no question in my mind that LSU is better. Tua threw for over 400 yards so how relevant is the argument that he was not 100%. LSU controlled the game, on the road, and I didn't think 5 points was a true indication of the difference in the teams.

I really don't care if Alabama is the second best team in the country. They are not the best. There is no way that they should be in a playoff to determine the BEST team in the country.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I won't get into a long explanation, but suffice it to say

Nov 10, 2019, 9:13 AM

that I believed the Committee gave a pass to Bama in its initial poll, hence their #3 ranking.

That's because I think this year's Committee is a "lazy" one, given to acceptance of media and poll influences, and, perhaps, undue influence by one or two members. I could accept our rank at #5, but not Bama's above Penn State based upon results prior to Saturday. And I certainly did not accept UGA's placement at #5.

The most important task is ensuring fairness to each P5, for the talk across the country has been consistent in its belief in a media-driven campaign favoring the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I won't get into a long explanation, but suffice it to say

Nov 10, 2019, 9:34 AM

I don't like the drive to promote the SEC, but a lot of it is because it seems to want to put multiple teams in the CFP. I do believe that the SEC is the deepest at the top of the conference. If the goal of the media was to get 1 representative in even if that team was to have a couple of losses, then I would not see a problem with the argument. However, that is not the ends that they are trying to achieve.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:50 AM [ in reply to I won't get into a long explanation, but suffice it to say ]

This is why there shouldn’t even be a “committee”. The guidelines should be set so that it all plays out on the field. The subjectivity Of the system because of there being a committee to push agendas (driven by money) is a problem in itself

Nov 10, 2019, 10:43 AM

I like having the human element. Otherwise, we end up with a bunch of computer models that have 2 problems in my mind. First, the criteria are often set up to give certain teams an inherent advantage. For example, using recruiting rankings in early rankings. It makes sense, but it often skews SOS and later rankings. Second, it lends to the practice of style points. That usually will alter things in a way that does not match up with the quality of teams. I just wish that they would set guidelines that they had to strictly adhere to. Right now it appears that they rank teams and then look for a reason to justify it. Either way has pros and cons.

Re: My issue with CFP narratives.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:41 AM

agree 100%. I dont care who the 4th best team is just care about finding the 1 best deserving team.

Its complicated though bc how good a team changes throughout the season. That's why it needs to be deserving to throw out eye test.

Nov 10, 2019, 11:25 AM

Yes. LSU is better than Alabama. 46-41 beat them on Alabama’s home field. Don’t need to see that again on a neutral field.

If Alabama were to beat them in the CFP, the regular season means nothing. What is nice about our current system is that every week is a playoff.

Three other teams deserve a chance to beat LSU if the CFP really thinks they are the best team.

Nov 10, 2019, 11:25 AM

Yes. LSU is better than Alabama. 46-41 beat them on Alabama’s home field. Don’t need to see that again on a neutral field.

If Alabama were to beat them in the CFP, the regular season means nothing. What is nice about our current system is that every week is a playoff.

Three other teams deserve a chance to beat LSU if the CFP really thinks they are the best team.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic