Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott

Sep 6, 2015, 8:01 AM

Balanced offense thrills Elliott

Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott made their debut as co-offensive coordinators at the Russell Athletic Bowl last December, but Saturday’s season opener against Wofford was the first chance to do it in front of the home crowd.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott

Sep 6, 2015, 8:27 AM

After watching this game I without doubt feel better about this season than I did before. This was the best opener, as in both sides of the ball moving like a well oiled machines, that Ive seen for our Tigers in several years. Obviously at certain positions like lb, ol, and maybe de we could use a tad bit more depth but other than that we are 2 and 3 deep at almost every position. Also will someone please explain to me what SEC speed really is!? Cuz from what I saw from our Tigers today is that we are fast, fast, f-ing fast!! Orange helmets literally gliding across the field like bad ### synchronized foot soldiers, 4 & 5 players going after the tackle on every single play is impressive! It shows the will to fight for one another, it shows not only physical toughness, but mentally as well. To be able to put all that into each and every play throughout the entire game, in my mind, is very impressive. That's why we all should be so greatful for Mr Venables because he IS a championship caliber DC!! As for all that I truly believe THIS team is 110% all in, they look and act like a family & I believe there's to many players that have one goal in mind, which is to hoist that ultimate prize at the end, to let the younger players influence or tamper the TEAMS mindset!! All in all this is gonna be a season to remember and I'm not gonna miss a #### second of it!!! GO TIGERS #ALLIN

Sep 6, 2015, 8:30 AM

IMO, we seem to rely a bit too much on the wide out flanker screen. There's not much surprise element anymore. I guess it's more of a running play. Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2015, 8:38 AM

I certainly agree that the margin for error is a tad bit slimmer as far as getting the ball to the receiver to, like you said, turn into a running play but at the same time it's the person throwing the ball & the guy catching the ball that puts me at ease! I think when there both, watson & Scott, are all said and done we will be looking at the greatest QB/WR duo to ever come through clemson & we all know that's saying alot!! GO TIGERS #ALLIN

Sep 6, 2015, 10:50 AM

The game plan yesterday was very simple. The Tigers showed very little of what they are capable of doing. Only one pass to a player coming out of the backfield as I recall. Only one jet sweep and that was to see how the rookie handled it. Losing Williams early gave some young guys a chance to shine, and they did. Lots of film to aid the coaches.

App State will bring a new challenge to the Tigers Saturday. I expect we will see more of the offensive package. ASU is better than many of you think. They rolled up 600 yards yesterday and have a good run/pass offense. I look forward to going to the game this weekend and staying until the very end! GO TIGERS

I didn't expect us to throw deep against the pups.

Sep 6, 2015, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott ]

That's something an SEC team has to do to keep their mouth breathing fans happy and feed their coach's ESPiN generated, over inflated egos. Yeah, I'm thinking of you, old ball sack.

You can't tell players to let off the gas, it's the exact opposite what is demanded of them to earn playing time. It ruins your ability to promote competition within a squad.

The only thing one can do is call the most conservative plays and expect the other team to adjust to them. That's why we substituted so early and often. We haven't played that many true freshman since the years all our guys went off to WWII. We are scary good, imo.

I expected some drop off in our defense, maybe just outside the top ten but I'm wondering if that was liberal enough. Top ten seems doable. We are scary good on both sides of the ball. In six weeks we'll have an extremely talented and developed backup to our QB and nothing I say can describe out WRs.

I was a little disappointed that we failed to cover the triple option a couple of times but BV put an end to that real quick(ly).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2015, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott ]

It's the first game of the season against Wofford, we're not going to open up the entire playbook until we have too.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:07 AM

I agree. If Wofford couldn't stop what we were doing why change. Plus with huge games looming with Louisville and Ndame why show everything.We will need everything in those games. We need Peake to play bigger. Hope Williams can return this season.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Balanced offense thrills Elliott ]

It streches the field from side line to side line and makes the DBs play closer to the WRs.... if they are playing close enough to stop the WR Screen then you send the WRs deep..... or across the middle.....

We ran it fewer times yesterday than was typical with Boyd and Watkins... seems like a lot of Watkins yards were the WR screen.

In general I think Scott should get 8 - 10 touches in every game, I love watching him run with the ball.

Glad to see that the staff

Sep 6, 2015, 8:48 AM

played so many (haven't seen the numbers, yet) and gave everyone some game experience. I'm sure that the game plan for this game was much more vanilla that we might see against FSU or ND, but the players looked confident and well prepared. I don't remember any procedure penalties on the offense (may have been some) and they played like a TEAM yesterday. It's a long season, but the first game is in the books.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Glad to see that the staff

Sep 6, 2015, 10:54 AM

Ray Ray or Deon had a full start penalty I think.

Re: Glad to see that the staff

Sep 6, 2015, 10:55 AM

*false

Sep 6, 2015, 9:11 AM

Offensive starters looked great. DW picking up where he left off at USC, RB's vetting out and taking care of the ball. 13 freshmen played and looked good, especially Hyatt on the O line. Little bit disappointed in Nicks performance, but Bryant looked good. Play that made him stand out was snap over his head into end zone and he recovers and gets back to 19. Also, his 3 plays with a pass, him running the.ball for positive yards and hand off for score. Defense was dominating the Pups and that was showing to me, plain and simple, RELOAD ! GO TIGERS !!!!

My honest opinion..

Sep 6, 2015, 9:41 AM

Part of e wished Elliot wasn't happy. I thought the offense looked just ok. I loved our D. Many thought our D would be worse, but it looked tough. As far as the offense, it just looked ok with nothing to be really excited about. Before you want to string me up, I realize that we weren't showing what we can really do and we were just trying to give everybody some work vs a weak team. We may be using the TE's more too down the road. The verdict is still out on the O for me. The talent is an absolute given. We will have a good O. I am hoping for a great O with what we have as far as talent. I don't think we will know much until the Cards and ND. Just my opinion. Go Tigers!!

DW played less than half of the game***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt..that said,

Sep 6, 2015, 10:46 AM

I wasn't that impressed with that less than a half either. It was alright. We didn't look that explosive. We were keeping it simple though. I get it.

We scored every time DW had the ball.

Sep 6, 2015, 3:12 PM

And with a small % of the playbook. What more do you want? You can't score twice on a single possession.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Really?

Sep 6, 2015, 7:57 PM

Come on bud. We were playing Wofford. We made it look kind of tough at times. We looked OK. That's all. Sorry I am not hyping it more.

Other than injuries, i am not worried about the offense

Sep 6, 2015, 1:11 PM [ in reply to My honest opinion.. ]

Elliot/Scott were just keeping it simple yesterday. It was the first game, they were just trying to keep everyone on the same page and execute. We are loaded at RB. Gallman, Davidson, Dye, Brooks, Fulller all looked really good yesterday. It seems that we finally have a couple of RBs in Fuller & Dye who can run guys over and get those tough yards. Its going to be hard for opposing defense's to keep up with our RBs all game. I know it was Wofford but we looked really good running the ball.

Sep 6, 2015, 10:32 AM

Where can I find a break down of # of run and # of pass?

Sep 6, 2015, 10:36 AM

Seeing 37 pass and 43 run on ESPN. Think I saw Watson was on the field for 25 plays. Is that correct? He only played 1/3 of the game and scored on every series he was in?

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic