Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Blanket statement on the rights to your NIL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Blanket statement on the rights to your NIL

Nov 2, 2019, 1:11 PM

Your company can own your intellectual property. Your company can own your labor if you agree to sell your labor. Depending on your contract, they can prevent you from working in any other capacity.

What they can't and will never own is your right to your name, image, and likeness.

They can't sell your name. Only you can. Only you own those rights, and as long as you're within the confines of the contract you signed, you can sell your name, image, or likeness. The company or institution you work for can never own those rights.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't play college football. Don't sign the LOI. Don't

Nov 2, 2019, 1:16 PM

aggree to the NCAA's terms if you don't think the 200 grand or so is worth your time. Go elsewhere and get paid more if that's what you think you should do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't play college football. Don't sign the LOI. Don't

Nov 2, 2019, 1:17 PM

Exactly. Drop out and take a different path where they have a better deal if they dont want the college route.

It's always a free market. Just don't ask people to give up the right to their NIL***

Nov 2, 2019, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Don't play college football. Don't sign the LOI. Don't ]

bidding wars for recruits will not work well for college

Nov 2, 2019, 1:22 PM

athletics. If they want to be professionals, then go be professionals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

professionals own the right to their NIL, so do all amateurs

Nov 2, 2019, 1:35 PM

That's the issue. Every person in America owns their NIL.

every college player owns their rights for NIL

Nov 2, 2019, 1:49 PM

they can quit college sports and sell their name any time they want to.

Should the NCAA be the only institution in America to own NIL?***

Nov 2, 2019, 3:27 PM

Re: Should the NCAA be the only institution in America to own NIL?***

Nov 2, 2019, 3:51 PM

Sure...or maybe just get rid of college football. It was fun while it lasted.

If it wasn't so ingrained in our college culture, I would agree***

Nov 2, 2019, 3:55 PM

I must refer you to my now departed friend, George S. Taylor

Nov 2, 2019, 1:46 PM

Perhaps you've heard of Taylor Wines from Hammondsport, NY. The company was sold to Coca Cola who then sued Walter S. Taylor, grandson of Walter Taylor the founder of Taylor Wines. They sued him because he started his own winery, Bully Hill Vineyards, and used his name and later the likeness of his ancestors on the label. He was was enjoined from "using the word Taylor or any colorable imitation thereof in connection with any labeling, packaging materials, advertising, or promotional material for any of defendant's products." The Taylor name was then blotted out wherever it appeared on Bully Hill products.

Coke won the first and many subsequent lawsuits to prevent Walter S. Taylor from using his name or likeness, or likeness of his ancestors on the labels. Read up on this, it is a pretty funny story.

I met Walter at a wine event and we became friends sort of. Sort of because Walter was a great promoter and one way he did that was by making everyone he met a big fan and friend. He was a huge personality, certainly an eccentric, but passionate about good wine and that what Coca Cola was doing just down the hill from him was a travesty.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/19811201/2124.html

My goodness, sorry: Walter S. Taylor***

Nov 2, 2019, 1:47 PM

I'd love to read the sale contract. You're allowed to sell your NIL

Nov 2, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to I must refer you to my now departed friend, George S. Taylor ]

It's a mutual party agreement. Rare as this case is, I'll have to remind you that you own your NIL. If you sell it, you don't own it.

These athletes never sold their NIL. If the universities want to make that a part of the contract to go to their university, they'll have a problem.

As is, it's not. The kid owns his NIL.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic