Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My final thoughts on the OC Hire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,116

My final thoughts on the OC Hire

Dec 3, 2014, 9:43 AM

I posted yesterday hoping that we would do an exhaustive search and hire the best candidate as determined by applications and interviews, experience, and proving you can do the job in the heat of battle on the big stage. I'm not at practice, and I have never even had a one on one conversation with Jeff Scott or Tony Elliott. Dabo has had plenty of time to evaluate their knowledge and potential, and I have not. That being said, Dabo also thought he and Billy Napier were capable a few years back, and that makes me question his judgment... I really hope it works... but honestly, co-coordinators is like having a two QB system. If you've got 2, it's usually b/c you don't have 1. I'd have actually rather seen him just give Jeff a solo shot than do the dual role (and I obviously didn't want that either).

My only hope is that I also said we shouldn't have hired Dabo- that we should have chased Cowher or Gary Patterson, because they were proven and we were too good of a university for some young guy with no experience to be "getting his shot" without proving he wouldn't "crash the car" at our program's expense... and that has worked out really well b/c of his ability to bring in good coordinators and recruiters to basically do his job for him while he just acts as the face of the program and delivers motivational speeches and pitches the program to coaches and recruits- and make no mistake about it- he's great at selling his vision, he's passionate! Either I'm going to make the same mistake twice by valuing experience and being proven over potential, or else Dabo is going to make the same mistake twice by promoting a friend with who is a great recruiter that has political connections within the university to OC when they haven't proven they can do the job at a lower level school first. One way or another, one of us is going to look like a fool. I just hope it's me. I'd much rather eat crow than have to suffer through several years trying to get back on track, especially with the potential our program has over the next couple of years!

I will close on a positive note- I do think Jeff has potential. Completing ignoring his family or the use of the term "pedigree", which I hate- as if his fathers mind will magically call the plays for him... I see a lot of possibility if he can learn quickly and keep an open mind and adjust. I think he has what it takes, I'd just rather him make his "youthful" mistakes and take his lumps at a mid-level program then return home as a veteran hardened in battle and PREPARED to take the Tigers to the top from day 1.

Go Tigers! We're All-In and we're in this together!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My final thoughts on the OC Hire

Dec 3, 2014, 9:45 AM

Final thought? Hope so.

well, you could always

Dec 3, 2014, 10:31 AM

just not read my posts if I'm that far under your skin, precious ;)

I guess a level headed analysis with points for both sides, ultimately hoping for the best for our program was too much for you to handle?

Re: well, you could always

Dec 3, 2014, 10:42 AM

huntfish: I thought your post was more than fair and made good points to consider. Unfortunately, this site has a lot of people who prefer the "company line" and independent, informed thinking is not welcome!

Dec 3, 2014, 9:56 AM

Very well said!

"Learn quickly"? 5 years quick enough for you?***

Dec 3, 2014, 10:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 years of success would be plenty for me

Dec 3, 2014, 10:39 AM

Hopefully they'll have that in two years, but claiming 5 years of success as an offensive coordinator while recruiting and coaching WR's/RB's under Billy and Chad Morris while they do the coordinating doesn't count.

Again- I hope they succeed. I just see our coaching positions, ESPECIALLY COORDINATORS- who are completely autonomous under Dabo, as a destination job for a proven candidate, and not a school for up and comers to get their shot when they have no experience.

I'm not saying they made the wrong decision. Just saying I'd at least like to see them do interviews and take applications to see what interest they draw before giving the job to a friend with no experience.

There's been a plan

Dec 3, 2014, 10:03 AM

in the last 4 years, they've both had over 3,000 hours of on the job training for this position , not counting the Off Season. Chad is on record saying they're ready, Dabo thinks they're ready,the search has been going on for 3 years.

Dec 3, 2014, 10:12 AM

Glad you were not on the hiring committee...

Dec 3, 2014, 10:19 AM

Here is the thing I think a LOT of people are NOT taking into consideration. He HAD to name someone before the bowl game. I honestly believe in NOT doing knee jerk reaction hires. He has named them co-OC's. He can easily hire a different OC by national signing day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,116
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic