Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another War Story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,734

Another War Story

Sep 2, 2020, 4:04 PM

I appreciate Clover 65 sharing his Nam experiences with us. I had a relative who I always called Uncle, but he was my mother's first cousin. He was on the attack transport USS Woodford AKA 86 in WW II. They left Hawaii with a load of priority ammunition bound for Okinawa. Their route to Okinawa took them on a black snake's route to their destination. They finally wound up at Karama Retto a group of islands about twenty miles from Okinawa in early June of 45. During this time while at anchorage the Woodford went to general quarters and battle stations many times. My "Uncle's" battle station was the aft 5 inch gun tub. During one of the Kamikaze raids he told me that a Japanese plane was headed for their fantail and every gun on the ship was firing at him. He said they were firing their 5 inch gun as fast as they could. He said nothing hit him and finally a five inch shell from their gun hit him right over the fantail. The engine, wreckage and dead pilot crashed into the gun tub killing everyone except my "Uncle" To the day he died said he had no idea why he survived and had night mares about it.

Another interesting sideline is he managed a shore leave while at anchorage. While on one of the islands he removed a Type 99 Arisaka rifle and bayonet from a dead Japanese soldier. The dead soldier also had a Ka Bar knife in his possession. My "Uncle gave me the bayonet and Ka Bar both of which I still have today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another War Story

Sep 2, 2020, 4:15 PM

Interesting story. There was a book about a Japanese soldier who fought into the 70's not knowing the war was over. Read it years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 4:22 PM

Yes Hiro Onada finally surrendered in the Philippines 29 years after the war ended.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another War Story

Sep 2, 2020, 4:37 PM

My Dad was a Flight Engineer on B24's in the South Pacific. Someone in his unit heard on the Radio that the war was over. Needless to say the parties started. Their CO poured cold water on that when he came through and told them that the war was not over for them until they flew the 2 missions they had the next day were done. Dad's crew was assigned the late go taking off at 10am. A friend of Dad's on the early go talked Dad into swapping with him so he could party longer. Dad's flight went without a hitch, but the late go crashed on take-off killing 4 of the 7 on board, including Dad's friend. He was in his 70's before he told me this and said it was on his mind everyday for over 10yrs. War is hail.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Sep 2, 2020, 9:55 PM

My wife's uncle flew 28 missions in a Liberator from Italy into Germany. They got shot up several times, but he returned home without a scratch!!!!!!!!! Remarkable!

Over the last years of my uncle's life, he opened up about

Sep 2, 2020, 5:55 PM

WWII in the Pacific. He was Army. I am fairly certain he left for the war before going to Clemson. Two other Uncles and my father did. The other two were in the European theater. My dad served in Korea after taking over the farm on the Little River just up stream from Newry. Thanks to my dad and uncles for swerving!

Anyway my oldest uncle served as a forward observer on Siapan (purple heart) and in Okinawa on the Shuri Line. Somehow survived it all. As well as my other uncles. His stories were amazing. Once he sat us down at the dining room table and pulled out a small plastic bag and took out his map of Okinawa. He hadn't opened it since just after the war. There was a piece of shrapnel embedded in the map with a portion of his olive drab shirt pocket stuck between the shrapnel and map. He had tears in his eyes. I sure would love to have that map.

So - Seeing someone kneel in protest while the national anthem plays bothers the hell out of me. Protest in a peaceful manner all you want. But Americans before us paid for the flag with their lives. I find it disrespectful to those that served and paid the ultimate price to do anything but stand and place your hand on your heart.

I feel better thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My feelings exactly about these Flag kneeling protests. They

Sep 2, 2020, 6:33 PM

can try to sugarcoat it any way they want, they are disrespecting it, and those who died, or have served to protect and preserve the nation it represents. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My feelings exactly about these Flag kneeling protests. They

Sep 2, 2020, 7:01 PM

I'll always be a Buzz Williams fan after seeing the video of him explaining to his team why the would stand for the National Anthem and not be rocking back and forth and chomping on gum. Young men respond when they are presented with reasonable explanations.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could you share some pictures of them?***

Sep 3, 2020, 8:39 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USS Bullhead

Sep 3, 2020, 11:57 AM

My best friend's Dad was to go on a war patrol in the Pacific theater aboard the submarine, USS Bullhead (SS-332), but was injured in training and could not sail with her. The Bullhead was the 701st and last U.S. warship sunk in WWII - never returned from patrol. Every year at VJ Day, my buddy and I talk about his Dad and those brave Veterans who served in the Pacific Theater.

Thank you to those who served.

Go Tigers.

Class of '87

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,734
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic