Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Will coaches run the quarterback less in 2015 to protect Watson? Swinney says no
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

New Story: Will coaches run the quarterback less in 2015 to protect Watson? Swinney says no

Mar 1, 2015, 8:01 AM

Will coaches run the quarterback less in 2015 to protect Watson? Swinney says no

Deshaun Watson is no stranger to running the football, but many Clemson fans who watched the freshman signal caller suffer significant injuries on running plays last season would rather see the Georgia native run the football less in 2015. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney says no.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fingers crossed...

Mar 1, 2015, 8:07 AM

I know we have to run the QB to keep the D honest but we have so many weapons to use as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito

Mar 1, 2015, 8:36 AM

I know coaches can't say this in public, but my thoughts are: Run Watson minimally in games we can steamroll the defense anyway. We don't need to let the Wakes and App States take cheap shots at #4. If we can light up a team with Watson throwing the ball and handing it off keep him clean for the most part. When we play a tough defense and need the QB runs use it. It's kind of like the Ford years. Danny would never use his best plays against teams he could whip. You always saw different plays and play calling patterns against the big teams and in the bowls. In other words save it until we need it, and don't use it unless we need it. Protect the franchise that #4 is. Save the cannon for the big ones!

I can buy that strategy ....***

Mar 1, 2015, 9:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good observation. That was part of why Ford was IMO one of

Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito ]

the best BIG game coaches I ever saw. We could be very unpredictable on offense and always had a great defense and special teams.

null

Re: Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito

Mar 1, 2015, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito ]

Danny used his best plays ever game. We only had 5 lol

Re: Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito

Mar 1, 2015, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito ]

Amen

I agree w/coach about playing in fear....don't do it! Let DW

Mar 2, 2015, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Don't Use A Cannon To Kill A Mosquito ]

have fun playing because it sure looks like he enjoys playing football. Limit the unnecessary shots by going down when you gotten what you can, take advantage of the open field and play hard but smart. You can't put up big numbers on the sideline. We do have a very good insurance policy that I wouldn't mind if we never used it but it's nice to have.

I have no problem with DW running when the play breaks down...

Mar 1, 2015, 9:07 AM

Just minimize the designed runs. DW can beat teams from the pocket, and we have too many weapons to run him like a workhorse. Cain can run the wildcat if we need to go that route.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no problem with DW running when the play breaks down...

Mar 1, 2015, 9:19 AM

Please no we are loaded with talent.He can take us to the playoffs. When the play breaks down he can run buy that Georgia Tech stuff needs to be history.

yes we will run him less, so other teams won't have to

Mar 1, 2015, 9:17 AM

worry about defending it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My criticism about this article....

Mar 1, 2015, 9:29 AM

The word "cast" was used twice

We Need Deshaun Watson Healthy As Possible ----

Mar 1, 2015, 10:04 AM

Kyle Parker took a big shot in the back/kidney area too and he WAS NOT the same for the rest of that season.

We got all this talent and improving depth. Lets put that talent to use and allow Watson to just take what is there and not force things on a play that is not necessary. I know that competitive spirit will weigh on a kid and coach, but we also have to be smart about things as well as tough, to reach that goal we all want.

Umm, our opponents will know what we're doing

Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 AM

if we try to protect DW they won't honor his running and the zone-read will be less effective.

We just have to run our offense. Dabo is right, you can't play scared.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Umm, our opponents will know what we're doing

Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 PM

I don't think playing smart is the same as playing scared. Why risk DW taking cheap shots
from teams we can crush? If some of our RB's could find their way to the weight
room and get up to about 225, we'd have some power in the backfield to rely on.
Aren't RB's supposed to be able to run the ball??

Would be interested to know how often Tajh played hurt

Mar 1, 2015, 12:44 PM

Seems like Parker, Cole and Watson played hurt every game or every other game - sometimes with severe injuries. Understanding Dabo, team, our boosters and fans are in it to win it, it sounds a little bit like the plot from the John Wayne WWII flick "They were Expendable".

And no doubt next year FSU, ND, GaT, SC are must wins and a loss to an underdog is unacceptable. So expectations are thru the roof.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would be interested to know how often Tajh played hurt

Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 PM

Well, he did in fact tear his ACL in high school, so he played and ran 4 years afterwards. Anyone worry about it every time he ran the ball those 4 years?

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Tajh-Boyd-discusses-future-playing-ACL-injury-HS-18098

We haven't lost to an unranked team in 4 years. While it

Mar 1, 2015, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Would be interested to know how often Tajh played hurt ]

would be very disappointing to have it happen this year, in what way would it be "unacceptable?" Are you claiming we would fire Dabo if one of the nation's longest winning streaks against unranked teams is finally broken?

Notre Dame is the least important game on the entire schedule too. Seriously. All conference games are more importing, beating SC is more important, and losing to App State or Wofford would be colossally embarrassing. It's just like the UGA game last year. We all really want to win it because of the name on the jersey, but it's the 1 game out of 12 on the schedule that we could most afford to lose.

Re: Would be interested to know how often Tajh played hurt

Mar 1, 2015, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Would be interested to know how often Tajh played hurt ]

You are right. They often played injured, as did Tajh. And typically, playing injured, means playing
at less than 100%. Dabo has his own version of history.

Dabo simply pointed out that Kyle and Tajh never...

Mar 1, 2015, 10:28 PM

...missed a game due to injury, not that they weren't ever playing injured. He was stating how we've always run our offense this way and how that won't change due to fear of QB injury. There's no revisionist history or "gotcha" with that comment. Perhaps you have your own version of history...or an agenda.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Don't feed the troll. His agenda is to make dumb comments

Mar 1, 2015, 11:49 PM

and definately succeeds which is easy for a coot.

Re: Don't feed the troll. His agenda is to make dumb comments

Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 PM

AMEN!

Re: New Story: Will coaches run the quarterback less in 2015 to protect Watson? Swinney says no

Mar 1, 2015, 12:48 PM

I don't think Watson would stand for them calling games that don't use his full potent

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Will Tnet writers actually write..........

Mar 1, 2015, 1:19 PM

...more than a handful of articles that are not repetitive of the video interviews we have already watched? Tigers69 says "no".....

Parker did get hurt, speared in the back at Auburn

Mar 1, 2015, 2:50 PM

completely changed the game and the season. He never sat b/c of it, but it definitely affected him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didn't we find out at the end of the season,

Mar 1, 2015, 4:01 PM

he had been playing with a broken rib or 2?

Re: didn't we find out at the end of the season,

Mar 1, 2015, 6:44 PM

Didn't Stout play most of last season hampered by a shoulder injury?

Who can read that and not be nervous?

Mar 1, 2015, 6:42 PM

We won't need him to run 20 times to beat Louisville. He was on pace for 30 carries against GT!!!! That news makes me nervous Hood.

Yet, I'm so excited

Why not use more "shovel passes" and less QB runs ?

Mar 1, 2015, 7:11 PM

seemed to work against Oklahoma ...

Not saying don't run him, but LESS .... after all running him all the time kinda takes the mystery out of "what's coming next"

NO you don't, I agree with what Deptula said

Mar 1, 2015, 7:50 PM

If Watson can't stay healthy, then o well. You don't play the game in fear, he is a football player, you don't treat him like glass. You're offense isn't running in 5th gear if you take away the QB run game. That is a huge part of the offense and his game. I love what Dabo said when asked this, he SAID NO, you don't play the game with fear of injury. He can either go or he can't

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Will coaches run the quarterback less in 2015 to protect Watson? Swinney says no

Mar 1, 2015, 8:45 PM

yeah the 1st 2 games will see Watson not run it any and will be out of game by half. Backups will do the running.
Got to get the game experience for the new guys.

So, they lied about the knee injury, supposedly it was just

Mar 2, 2015, 12:50 PM

an LCL sprain after the GT game and he tore the ACL in practice...That was the story that Dabo gave us last year, but now he's saying differently. Now he's saying that the ACL was torn in the GT game...

"Deshaun Watson got hurt when nobody touched him. He just planted, and cut on air and tore his ACL."

If you read carefully

Mar 4, 2015, 6:15 PM

He never mentioned the GT game. Could he not also have ' just planted, and cut on air and tore his ACL', as you so quoted?

Clemson

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic