Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My "No Chance" Story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,721

My "No Chance" Story

Nov 27, 2013, 8:53 PM

After reading the No Chance article on the front page, I was reminded of a similar game I played in, against bitter cross-town arch rivals, in which my team was given "no chance" to win. The sport however, was soccer, and it was my senior year in high school but it was during the fall so we were playing club ball, not HS. I had joined this team 4 years prior, and since I joined we had never beaten our rivals. Going into the state playoffs they were the #2 seed and we had squeaked in at #7 (8 team playoff), so we had to play them first round. We were, of course, given no chance to win.

They completely dominated the game, possessing the ball about 90% of the time, they had about 30 or 40 shots on goal. We got the ball onto their half of the field maybe 6 or 7 times the whole game. Our defense held up the first half, but they scored early in the second half. We had not even come close to getting 1 shot the whole game at this point, so it wasn't looking too hot for us.
Their coach was yelling he wanted 4 or 5 more goals.

Well, they continued to dominate and possess the ball, as we continued to defend as hard as we could, until with about 15 minutes left, one of our guys blocked one of their passes and the ball deflected straight towards their goal, behind their defense, and our dude ran onto it and scored. And just like that everything changed. 5 minute later, we put a few passes together and won a throw in deep in their territory. We threw it into their box, and one of our guys headed it in for the lead. We held on the last 10 minutes and won.

Before the game, our coach said he knew we would win, because despite their superior talent, we had more heart and he knew we wanted it more.

On Saturday, I hope Clemson brings just as much heart as we did that game. I hope they will remember, that even when things aren't going your way, one play can change everything.

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My "No Chance" Story

Nov 27, 2013, 11:25 PM

That was very inspiring my friend, and you're absolutely right.

Thank you!

Nov 28, 2013, 6:04 PM

I am glad you enjoyed my story.

Al? Al Bundy? Is that you?

Nov 27, 2013, 11:27 PM

Proud Polk high graduate.

I am not Al Bundy

Nov 28, 2013, 6:03 PM

Sorry =( ... the setting is actually Charleston

Was one

Nov 28, 2013, 6:20 PM

Of the teams goose creek?

Nope

Nov 28, 2013, 6:23 PM

Teams were James Island and Mt. Pleasant. JI was my team. I don't think Goose Creek had a club team. The big teams in the Charleston area were Mt. P, JI, and Summerville.

How long ago?

Nov 28, 2013, 6:34 PM

They had one when I played, played them several times in the St. Jiles and Camden tourneys. Hated those guys too because they were so arrogant.

Re: How long ago?

Nov 28, 2013, 6:46 PM

Fall 2005. It was after St. Giles and Greenville had merged into CESA, but all the other clubs in Charleston and Columbia had not merged yet to compete with CESA.

My HS soccer team was defending HS state champs

Nov 28, 2013, 6:48 PM

For one game our conference rivals came over to our HS before the game with signs and banners. Cheering and honking driving through the parking lots.

Pre-game warmups and they are having what looked like a pep rally on their side for the field. They must have bussed their students to our field. Our team is calm and doing our regular routine. The other team is getting all pumped up and in a frenzy.

We get the ball to begin the game. The two strikers have give-n-go's to their goal and score in the first 20 seconds of the game. We beat the crap out of them.

My hope is that we go into Willy-Brice with quiet confidence, score quickly, and kick their butts up and down the field. I feel that we are the better team, and I hope that the better teams wins.

Re: My HS soccer team was defending HS state champs

Nov 28, 2013, 7:10 PM

That would definitely be the ideal situation.

Ahhh

Nov 28, 2013, 6:56 PM

I was playing in those around 98-99 so maybe that's why they don't sound familiar haha.

I've got one too.

Nov 28, 2013, 7:18 PM

I played basketball for a little class A SCISA school. We played a 3A school in the Colonial Center my senior year. No one gave us a chance, except for us and our fans. We had a stud point guard (Who's actually getting try-outs from overseas teams currently), so we knew we had a chance. The whole team played out of their minds, and we ended up emptying the bench on "Goliath" in the 4th quarter.

Best game of my career. I ended up with a double-double. My favorite memory from playing ball in High School.

If coach would've put me in fourth quarter we would've

Nov 28, 2013, 7:57 PM

been state champs.

Is that you Uncle Rico?

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,721
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic