Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Last Furlough
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

My Last Furlough

Jun 6, 2018, 7:40 PM

While looking through my files today, I found this short story. This was soon after D-Day.

We had just completed out final field training at Camp Crowder, MO, and were awaiting orders to head for a Port of Debarkation. We had no idea whether we would be heading to the European Theater or to the South Pacific. Apparently, there was no indication our departure was within one month because some of us were granted furloughs.

I boarded the train at Neosho, MO, and headed south to Tyler, TX where one of my sisters was located. Her husband was stationed at a POW Camp for Germans as an Interpreter. This was a very special stop as I met my newly arrived niece, just a few days old.

My next stop was Greenwood, MS, where one of my brothers was stationed. One of our close friends from our home town was also stationed there so we had a mini, mini reunion and I was able to catch up on "back home" news.

The reminder of my furlough was spent in Florida visiting my other two sisters and my teen-age brother. My parents were both deceased. This was a somewhat more somber visit than earlier visits because I knew my departure for foreign service required me to make some important decisions that most of us find difficult to face. The "what ifs" could no longer be avoided. I realized then that the pain I witnessed on the faces of my sisters was greated than my pain. I could imagine a similar situation in every household in America. The pains of war are not limited to those who serve, those pains are suffered by everyone.

And in an all together short time, it was time to pack my bag and return to Camp Crowder wondering if this would be the last time I would see my sisters and brothers. It was truly a sad day as I hugged each one and said, "take care", our normal parting words we had used so often.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love your stories and thankful for your service

Jun 6, 2018, 8:07 PM

It puts things in perspective on how blessed my family is. Thanks Joe.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe - you may not approve of this idea -

Jun 6, 2018, 8:46 PM

I submit that your posts be published in a book - Author Joe21 - with all proceeds to a charity of your choice.

It is too rare to gain insight into your experiences - experiences of my fathers generation and your's.

I am certain this would be a wild success.

I am willing to pilot this - with your and TNET permission - it will be done first class only and promoted appropriately.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of the day I left for Viet Nam ... my

Jun 6, 2018, 8:48 PM

parents had taken me to the Charlotte airport and I knew it might be the last time I would see them. My plane took the route toward the Atlanta airport where I was to join 2 friends for the trip to Seattle for the last leg of our journey. As the plane sort of followed the I-85 route I could see my home town of Clover as we went by and when I saw my house from the air 10 miles out in the countryside for what could have been the last time it was a strange feeling

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reminds me of the day I left for Viet Nam ... my

Jun 6, 2018, 9:38 PM

I really enjoy your stories Joe21 i look for them each time I get on T-net. The way you tell stories are like a book that takes you there almost living it. You really should have a book with all your stories.
My Dad also served in WW2 and Korean War. He was in the Navy, He past on April 2017 and I really miss him and his stories.
Thank You Joe and everyone that has served or is serving this Great nation!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Last Furlough

Jun 7, 2018, 6:14 AM

We are so blessed by the sacrifice of many who gave all for our freedom! I’m so grateful for your service and all of our service members because it’s great to be a free American..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jun 7, 2018, 6:28 AM

Joe, are you familiar with this organization?

www.witnesstowar.org

They are based in Atlanta and I bet would love to talk to you.

I know a couple of the people involved and would be happy to get you in contact with them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Through the years I have read dozens of your stories...

Jun 7, 2018, 6:35 AM

and they were all good. That was maybe the best. How did you and your siblings lose your parents so young? Also what number child are you and how many were there? Thanks again @Joe2Joe21

Re: Through the years I have read dozens of your stories...

Jun 7, 2018, 11:26 AM

I was No. 6 in a family of seven children. One brother, No. 3, died at age two. My Dad was 14 years older than my Mother and he was 50 when I was born. My Mother became ill and died in 1935 and my Dad died in 1937. The three sisters were older than we three surviving brothers and they assumed the place of my parents so we were a very close knit group. I am now the only member of my family still living.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is pretty fascinating.

Jun 7, 2018, 11:33 AM

Do you have children and grandkids?

Re: That is pretty fascinating.

Jun 7, 2018, 1:38 PM

Yep. Truly blessed. Have two wonderful daughters, three super grandchildren and four fantastic great grandchildren.

That's interesting Joe

Jun 7, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Through the years I have read dozens of your stories... ]

I'm #7 in a family of 10 kids, 6 brothers and 3 sisters,
all same Mom and Dad. Mom died 4+ years ago. Dad is 93
and lives near you there in Central, SC. He was involved
in the tail end of WW2 in some non combat operation.
Would be great if yall could talk sometime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 3:42 PM

Thanks for your service and God Bless

My Dad served in the Pacific with the Navy during WWII.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 4:32 PM

Joe, I read this and fully understand why they call you the greatest generation. Thanks for your service and stories. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 4:50 PM

I truly don't know what else to say other than God Bless You and Thank You for your sacrifice and service!! There is a reason yours is know as The Greatest Generation!!

We all are forever indebted!!!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic