Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My 70 year old boss still hasn't made it in today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 541

My 70 year old boss still hasn't made it in today

Feb 9, 2016, 11:24 AM

He only works Tues-Thurs and typically comes in between 9:30-10:00. Starting to wonder if he's deaded. I also didn't hear from him yesterday which is strange as he likes to micromanage from afar.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he live beside McLovin? I only ask because if he did can

Feb 9, 2016, 11:25 AM

you find out if McLovin can buy some of his land since he's deaded and won't be needing it?

Does McLovin live in St. Matthews?***

Feb 9, 2016, 11:26 AM

Yes I think he does

Feb 9, 2016, 11:27 AM

not.

To help clear this up

Feb 9, 2016, 11:38 AM

my neighbor is/was an unrelated woman not living in St. Matthews.

My post was pretty clear that I thought you did not live in

Feb 9, 2016, 11:39 AM

St. Matthews.

intent was to clear up multiple things including my

Feb 9, 2016, 11:42 AM

bloodline

Did you acquire

Feb 9, 2016, 11:40 AM [ in reply to To help clear this up ]

Any land?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think I would need a shovel to acquire

Feb 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

it this quickly. No, I have not ventured onto neighbor's property with a shovel.

You should act quickly, you know how vultureous families can

Feb 9, 2016, 11:43 AM

get once a loved one passes. I'd recommend taking the rest of the day off and getting started.

Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age

Feb 9, 2016, 11:26 AM

baffles the #### outta me.

The president of a hospital I worked at was 72 (then), was making a million plus a year, and is still working.

I don't get it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some folks only feel useful when they're working.***

Feb 9, 2016, 11:28 AM

Lutz. Thats just funny.

Feb 9, 2016, 11:28 AM

I feel a lot more useful when I'm NOT working

usually have battle-ax wives

Feb 9, 2016, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age ]

and NEED to get out of the house every day.

I have a couple co-workers like that.

Re: Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age

Feb 9, 2016, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age ]

I have to agree completely. I think some people get so caught up in work over the years it becomes their whole identity. That is sad to me. I am planning so that my worse case retirement age is 60. I hope I can do better than that but I plan to start having major fun and staying busy when I hang up my corporate hat.

Pig of summertig

Feb 9, 2016, 12:04 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is definitely the case with my example.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age ]

He's not so much known for just being "John", but as CEO john. I guess he can't let that go.

TkDad2000 turned 73 in November

Feb 9, 2016, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age ]

He started his life out of BFE, NC by joining the Army and becoming a medic. After a tour of Vietnam, and his subsequent discharge, he went to college (Gardner Webb - Associates, USC - Bachelors) to study nursing. This was apparently unusual back in the 60's, but that's what he did.

So he worked in all kinds of nursing you can think of. ER, OR, nursing home, general hospital nursing, oncology etc...and somehow got a Masters in psychiatric nursing while working full time too.

He finally agreed with his doctor that it was time to retire sometime about 8 years ago. He lasted for about 3 weeks, and then came home one day to tell my mother that he had gotten a job at Midland's Tech, as an adjunct professor teaching nursing clinicals part time. He has since also started teaching classes and clinicals at South University in addition to the Midland's gig.

I asked him last year when he was going to retire for good. He told me the following (sic):

"Son, i've been in the medical field for more than 50 years, including my time in the Army. I've seen more patients than most nurses will in a lifetime, and I tried my best to help every one of them. I'm too old now to keep up with the technology that's used today, but if I can pass on some of my experiences to someone, that they might use it to save a patient's life with, i'll keep working until y'all put me in the ground."

Sounds like a good reason to me. I hope I have that same work ethic, but only time will tell.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you truly enjoy your profession, you don't want to retire

Feb 9, 2016, 12:40 PM

because it's not really "work". If you enjoy what you do and the people you work with, and get that nice feeling of accomplishment and contribution to society, why would you want to?

The sweet spot to "retirement" is to find something that lets you set your hours, maybe 20-25 hours a week with a downgrade of responsibility. That way you can travel if you want, have hobbies and do family things freely.

I guess my definition and yours of "work ethic" differ.

Feb 9, 2016, 12:55 PM [ in reply to TkDad2000 turned 73 in November ]

I'll not so humble brag of working hard. Often for days at a time, with no sleep. Luckily that hasn't happened lately, but I plan for it to happen every day, so I am prepared for when it does. When I am working, I do all that can to make sure what I do is correct, complete, and adds a value to whoever is paying me. I don't ask any more of anyone that works for me.

Working until I'm dead isn't a work ethic. Obviously he finds some intrinsic value in doing what he does for a living, but I gotta believe (and know) there is more to life than just working, even if you do enjoy it. There are so many other aspects to enjoy life that working isn't even on the radar of things I want to do when I'm not being paid for it.

I agree, the only work I'd want to be doing at that age

Feb 9, 2016, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Unless they are destitute, why people still work at that age ]

is on a board of directors or something. I don't know how you get to be that person.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update: He showed up. If I had to describe my feeling it

Feb 9, 2016, 12:06 PM

would be disappointed relief.

only a mild erection?***

Feb 9, 2016, 12:53 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well he's already left for the day so it didn't last more

Feb 9, 2016, 1:19 PM

than 4 hours.

Replies: 23