Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WiringNet Update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 508

WiringNet Update

Aug 25, 2014, 8:13 AM
image.jpg(70.6 K)

It's done:
1000 feet of Cat6
500 feet of Coax
250 feet of speaker wire

I've got Cat6 and Coax in every bedroom and possible TV location, 5.1 surround prewire in the basement, sound insulation between master bedroom and bonus / kids room, 2 PVC chases from basement utility room to attic and 1 to the unfinished basement area (my shop) for future wiring needs. Everything is neatly routed, stapled, zip tied, and labelled.

The 3rd party low voltage company was delayed so their stuff wasn't in yet and I only had this weekend to work. I'd hoped to run my extra stuff after them but my project manager said it shouldn't be a problem. They are coming in today to run the stuff I paid for. If they rip out my wiring I will go ballistic. Thanks all for the wiring tips.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice...but out of curiousity, why did you need to ethernet

Aug 25, 2014, 9:27 AM

wire the entire house? Worried about the Wifi not being able to cover the entire house?

You should know Sandy Springs Tiger

Aug 25, 2014, 9:34 AM

So he can have a rock solid Sonos setup! LOL

I got two Sonos Playbars and a Sub on the way. Hoping to add a little thump to my tiger rag on Saturday.

Hah, did you get that black sub?

Aug 25, 2014, 9:44 AM

I saw that they are discontinuing that color, perhaps I should pick one up since it looks so much better than the white? :)

Plug in the playbar first and let me know the difference in sound between playbar only and playbar with sub

Ill send you a tmail when i install them

Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM

They are only discontinuing the matte black sub. So yes, that is why I went ahead and got one. They will still make the Black Gloss one, but I don't like that, to shiny.

Because wired will always be better than wireless.***

Aug 25, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Nice...but out of curiousity, why did you need to ethernet ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Not for a laptop!***

Aug 25, 2014, 10:11 AM

These Ethernet ports aren't for a laptop!

Aug 25, 2014, 10:17 AM

They're for smart TVs, Rokus, other devices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think that's true anymore.

Aug 25, 2014, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Because wired will always be better than wireless.*** ]

The bottleneck tends to be whatever speed the ISP is permitting into your home.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

ISP has always been a bottleneck compared to network

Aug 25, 2014, 1:03 PM

speeds, not getting your point.

Wired is always better than wireless for networking, period. More secure, faster, more robust, and more resistant to interference.

Re: ISP has always been a bottleneck compared to network

Aug 25, 2014, 1:05 PM

Point is, my laptop gets the same 15Mb or whatever from Verizon Fios as it would through an ethernet cable.

As you said, the ISP is the bottleneck, not the wireless.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

That wasn't the point I was making, and the home Ethernet

Aug 25, 2014, 1:10 PM

wiring wasn't for laptops.

But for connecting to my NAS or other intranetwork device, the bottleneck is the wireless, where wired would be faster.

The main point I was making was wired is better than wireless in terms of speed, reliability, and security.

Re: That wasn't the point I was making, and the home Ethernet

Aug 25, 2014, 1:13 PM

Yeah, I was just focusing on the issue of internet speed. Intranetwork is a different story, and I have no idea how much faster ethernet is than n-network wireless.

- Jonathan Swift

Wireless ac is the new protocol faster than n.

Aug 25, 2014, 1:17 PM

Theoretical throughput of 1Gbps with multi-channel connection.

CAT-6 has a throughput of 10Gbps.

Wireless is getting there in speeds, still lacking in interference and reliability though.

Wired > wireless...always and twice on sunday...

Aug 25, 2014, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Don't think that's true anymore. ]

from a networking perspective...not counting location flexibility.

Yes, for internet access, the ISP speed can be a limiting factory in absolute speed, but when also considering availability, security, and certain networking protocols (especially if working from home)...wired is always better.

I'll take a 100Mbps wired connection over a 300Mps wireless connection any day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mostly for smart TV

Aug 25, 2014, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Nice...but out of curiousity, why did you need to ethernet ]

Netflix, Hulu, etc. without taxing the wireless. We're a family of 5 with lots of tablets and other wireless needs. Wanted to hardwire everywhere we knew we'd have a TV. Might as well have a hard line for desktop computers and docking stations also. It's cheap enough to run a little extra wire now.

Not to mention it gives you a lot of flexibility in...

Aug 25, 2014, 4:02 PM

setting up wireless APs (or multiple wirless APs).

Our house was built in 1990 and has no ethernet wiring. I'm considering paying someone to come in and wire up some rooms for me downstairs.

Re: Nice...but out of curiousity, why did you need to ethernet

Aug 25, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Nice...but out of curiousity, why did you need to ethernet ]

I also ran a Cat6 from my office (1st floor) to the play room (2nd floor, centrally located and will have TV, etc). This way if I find my wireless coverage is weak in certain areas I can add a second wireless access point. I haven't done this before but read that hardwiring between the WAPs is preferable, and again, it's easy enough pre-drywall to stick it in.

yes...hardwiring and having multiple mesh access points....

Aug 25, 2014, 4:04 PM

is a lot better than a wireless repeater. The repeaters work (I use one at home), but it can finicky.

before drywall, take an excrutiatingly detailed video

Aug 25, 2014, 12:38 PM

showing every inch of wall and wire. you WILL have doubts of where a wire ends, and this is a tremendous help. Literally narrate the video, pipes, hoses, electrical etc. may come in handy one day.

^^^ great advice

Aug 25, 2014, 1:40 PM

I took narrated video of all of my stuff and plan to go back through when EVERYTHING is in, right before drywall to video every room from wall to ceiling.

Replies: 20
| visibility 508
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic