Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most of my 44 years as a Tiger fan the second string QB was the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,527

Most of my 44 years as a Tiger fan the second string QB was the

Jul 24, 2018, 8:15 AM

Most popular guy on the team. Take Rodney Williams for example. All the guy did was win but he had some off days passing the ball.
Look at Nealon Greene. Same story. He was a heckuva quick runner.
Even Woody Dantzler had to listen to tons of criticism. And poor old Streeter had to learn so many offenses and still heard some boos now and then.
In fact, the only two qb's I recall never being boo'd was DW and Whitehurst!
Now KB has been overly criticized when you look at his success but if you're going to be the starting qb there is always someone on the bench in someone's mind who can do it better!! Get used to it - then get over it - and show them why you're the starter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of my 44 years as a Tiger fan the second string QB was the

Jul 24, 2018, 8:55 AM

We have the best QB in college football. I want to see him play. I don't understand the system that does not crown him starter. I didn't understand DW not being starter (still don't) from day 1. Coaches might understand, and you might understand, but I don't. I don't like him because he's second string. I like him because I believe he's the man for the job and therefore should be given the job. That's how I feel.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2018, 10:15 AM

Nobody is "crowned" a Clemson starter! Dabo has made it quite clear throughout his tenure you have to earn a starting role. Lawrence will be given ample opportunity to compete and if he does so at a higher level he will ultimately get the job. Until then KB, despite his shortcomings last year, has earned the position going into Fall practice.

We pay the staff for a reason so let them do their jobs.

Go Tigers!

'shortcomings' which got us back to the CFP for the 3rd

Jul 24, 2018, 10:19 AM

year in a row. I'll take those kinds of 'shortcomings' all day, every day.

Did you live through the Tommy West years? LOL

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: 'shortcomings' which got us back to the CFP for the 3rd

Jul 24, 2018, 11:05 AM

I did, but the Tommy West years had a much stronger FSU than KB faced last year, FWIW. Can you live through if his shortcomings can't beat them if they return back to their normal form this year? I hope so. Otherwise, I'd be hoping the "other guy" gets enough playing time that if he's called in to take his attempt after failure, he has enough experience to win it. Otherwise, get ready to see our first year in 4 not being in the playoffs....wasting the defensive line that returned.

Re: 'shortcomings' which got us back to the CFP for the 3rd

Jul 24, 2018, 3:21 PM [ in reply to 'shortcomings' which got us back to the CFP for the 3rd ]

I have no idea if the poster I originally replied to lived thru any down years in Tiger football, but I certainly have! The Hootie era and a 2-9 season in 1975 were pathetic! Dabo doesn’t accept “entitlement” based upon potential! I teach far to many students who honestly believe they have to put forth little to no effort to get an A grade just because of past experience!

I am so glad to have a staff who demand excellence and will not accept anything less! Posts “crowning” somebody are not what Dabo will pay any attention to period! Tiger players correctly have to earn a place among the starters and then work to keep it!

Go Tigers!

Jul 24, 2018, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Most of my 44 years as a Tiger fan the second string QB was the ]

We also have the best coach. Let him coach.

"best QB in college football"

Jul 24, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Most of my 44 years as a Tiger fan the second string QB was the ]

I'm pretty sure he hasn't played in a college football game yet.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Jul 24, 2018, 9:07 AM

I remember the same controversy over Homer Jordan / Mike Gasque. Turned out to be a National Championship team by letting the coaches do their thing. Gasque was said by some to be be "better on game day but just didn't practice well".

Jul 24, 2018, 9:49 AM

We have much better quality QB depth now. It's never been like this.

Football games

Jul 24, 2018, 11:59 AM

Are won at the line of scrimmage. Ask the best QB in college football or the worst and they will tell you the same.

Coach Swinney will play the guy who gives him the best chance to win with the talent available to him. The game plan my differ with whoever is chosen but the end result will be winning. Running the ball, short passes, long passes what ever gives Clemson the chance to come out on top is what the Tigers will do in 2018 and I’m all in with that approach.

Re: Football games

Jul 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

True, but they can be lost with a QB that can't throw the ball well. Quality opponents will just bring the house. It happened to Woody too. It makes it a lot easier on a quality D.

Jul 24, 2018, 4:41 PM

Are you saying K B has not beat a quality opponent ?

Jul 24, 2018, 5:10 PM

Not exactly. I am saying he was, hopefully still is not, much easier to be shutdown by a quality D due to his limitations.

Jul 24, 2018, 8:08 PM

i'm so glad you're not the coach

Even DW was criticized and some on this board

Jul 24, 2018, 11:21 AM

thought he should be benched due to his interceptions. I recall some saying he was reading his press clippings too much and wanted to be too much like his friend Cam Newton.

hard to believe but I remember reading those sentiments on several occasions.

Simply not true.***

Jul 24, 2018, 12:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you are referring to my post re DW, you are wrong.

Jul 24, 2018, 12:16 PM

Several posters called for his benching.

Re: If you are referring to my post re DW, you are wrong.

Jul 24, 2018, 4:44 PM

True and he should have been taking out to calm down more than once

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,527
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic