Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Update: Brownell mentioned for Ball St. job
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Basketball Update: Brownell mentioned for Ball St. job

Apr 1, 2013, 11:43 PM

Brownell mentioned for Ball St. job

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Promise

Apr 1, 2013, 11:46 PM

I kid I kid.

Is it a joke?

Apr 1, 2013, 11:49 PM

At this point I think brownell has no idea how to recruit. If we lose him, big woop. Leaving an ACC school for Ball State cause ur scared? That would tell me enough about what kind of coach he was, and why he would never be successful at a school in a big conference.

Pathetic we even have a basketball coach mentioned for the Ball State job.

Most likely

Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 AM

they'll hire Seth Greenberg (the other not likely, but not out of the question) for $200,000 / year.

PLEASE let this happen

Apr 1, 2013, 11:59 PM

Man oh man...c'mon Ball St !!
Make the call

Repeat after me, "Welcome back, Coach Brownell. Hope to see

Apr 3, 2013, 1:00 PM

improvement next season". Because he WILL be back in Clemson, and deservedly so.

Let's try to NOT be classless dumb #####.

Should've waited 17 minutes to post this....

Apr 1, 2013, 11:59 PM

I remain skeptical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that our CURRENT coach is even mentioned for this

Apr 2, 2013, 12:18 AM

job says a lot about how pathetically our basketball program is viewed right now. A Clemson coach should never even be mentioned for a job like Ball freaking State.

With that said, no way Brownell is remotely interested in this job. If he is, it would only be because Radakovich "urged" him to take it. Otherwise, this would be coaching career suicide.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The fact that our CURRENT coach is even mentioned for this

Apr 2, 2013, 1:23 AM

I don't know, I mean it gives him the chance to go back to where he's from. He is a really good coach at a mid-major level. Clemson is a major school with much higher expectations, even for a program that hasn't had much success historically. We don't like to lose. In any sport.

If he leaves, I can accept that. Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart will be at their respective schools for years, they have built successful programs and don't have nearly the expectations they would have at a UCLA or wherever. Ball State gives him the opportunity to install his own scheme and recruit his kinds of players without our neighbors to the north (North Carolina, Duke, NC State, and even Wake Forest to some extent) stealing our players. If he sees that his door is closing and the roster doesn't look too promising he may jump ship now before he gets fired and ends up as an assistant somewhere or something.

higher expectations....now that's funny***

Apr 2, 2013, 8:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: higher expectations....now that's funny***

Apr 2, 2013, 2:07 PM

Has Ball State done anything in basketball ever? No. Neither has Clemson, but we have done stuff in other sports so our alumni expect us to go out and win 25 games every season, even if that's not even possible.

Rodakovich "urged" him to take it? Uhm, let's see, take the

Apr 2, 2013, 7:18 AM [ in reply to The fact that our CURRENT coach is even mentioned for this ]

Ball State job...Get Fired, Ball State,Get Fired. I'm going with "Get Fired", if that was my choices.

Depends on the buyout...

Apr 2, 2013, 8:34 AM

how much is he guaranteed if he gets fired? Would it be more or less than what he'd make at Ball st.? It's all about the money in that situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

If they are offering him 200k per year, the buyout would

Apr 2, 2013, 9:35 PM

have to be better.

Apr 2, 2013, 12:32 AM

Just for fun. If he were to take it who could we get?

Apr 2, 2013, 1:23 AM

Bob Knight...

I kid, I kid ;)

Very smart move on his part if he can

Apr 2, 2013, 3:46 AM

get the job. If he stays at Clemson he will be fired within two years.

Re: Is it a joke?

Apr 2, 2013, 4:22 AM

what's sad is that you just look at the coach and not see that there is a serious issue in our admin when it comes to basketball. Do people just not want to speak ill of our school but you will kill coaches and players?

There is a battle going on with our coaches and admin or something because all of these coaches in basketball can't be this bad. But all we can do is sit around and make clever jokes. Y'all care about as much as the admin. I wonder what's really going on over there. Brownell isn't the only one to find it difficult here. smh. the entire college bball world knows how irrelevant we are and we think it's because of these horrible coaches.

Re: Is it a joke?

Apr 2, 2013, 8:23 AM

+1

Re: Basketball Update: Brownell mentioned for Ball St. job

Apr 2, 2013, 6:42 AM

This appears to a situation with no definite winner or loser.
If Brad is offered ,and takes the job,then Clemson is left having to find a coach.That coach,whomever he be ,will then have the unenviable task of having to rebuild a program that is allready in need of rebuilding.
Also Brad would leave not knowing if he could have turned things around.
If,on the other hand Brad stays ,and has another subpar year like this ,most certainly he would be fired,leaving him out of a coaching job at a mid level school,where according to the article,he succeeds at.
Personally,I like Brad ,and wish he ould be successful at Clemson.Besides,if he does go, then I will have to retire his bobble head doll.I allready had to do that to Ituro Coleman's.And they looked so good on my mantle piece.

try using the big space bar in the future******

Apr 2, 2013, 7:05 AM

Re: try using the big space bar in the future******

Apr 2, 2013, 7:30 AM

Normally I do ,but I got carried away eating the warmed over Krispy Kreme glazed donuts my wife brought me home last nite.Tough to type with one hand,eat KK's and remembering to use the space bar.

Apr 2, 2013, 7:17 AM

You people are ridiculous. You really WANT to lose another coach and start over again?

normally I would say no but

Apr 2, 2013, 9:15 AM

Brad is recruiting this team into the dumpster and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: normally I would say no but

Apr 2, 2013, 5:24 PM

That's ridiculous. Look at Roper and KJ. Having Coleman and Blossomgame next year will help.
And we have a good class coming in too.
RELAX

Apr 2, 2013, 7:40 AM

Just read on Yahoo where Enfield has been hired to be the new USC coach.
NoW don't fret,or worry or get your panties all tied up in knots,it's the other USC.
Still, Clemson,you had your chance.We could have jumped on this guy as early as last weekend.
By the way the article mentioned that Enfield ,once an assistant coach is also a shooting coach.What a novel idea;a coach who teaches shooting skills.

So you think he would have picked Clemson over So. Cal?***

Apr 2, 2013, 7:44 AM

Re: So you think he would have picked Clemson over So. Cal?***

Apr 2, 2013, 7:54 AM

No,probably not with all the bs on this site about cutting our losses with Brad,yuo would have thought our fan base would expect nothing less than a complimentary interview,or a phone call.

I'm sure his model wife would prefer the shores of

Apr 2, 2013, 9:14 AM

Lake Hartwell over the beaches of So Cal any day. We definitely could of had him.

Re: I'm sure his model wife would prefer the shores of

Apr 2, 2013, 9:22 AM

Im sure him and his wife can go wherever they want whenever they want no matter where they live

Emfield is a multi multi multi millionaire from previous companies he ran
His wife....also loaded.....super model

In fact i bet they have a house out there before he even took the job.

Complimentary interview???

Apr 3, 2013, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: So you think he would have picked Clemson over So. Cal?*** ]

For what? We have a coach and he will be the coach for a minimum of next season. And if he shows improvement, like I think he can and will, then it will the season after that and beyond.

Why the hell would we give anyone an interview, let alone a wildly unproven up-and-comer?

LOL. Some of you guys have got to be slow.

Apr 3, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Update: Brownell mentioned for Ball St. job ]

Brad Brownell will be the coach at Clemson University during the 2013-14 season. Period.

All the insane b!tching and moaning by the vocal minority and lunatic fringe will not do a darn thing to change that simple fact. Either deal with it or ignore our basketball program all together, but the incessant bellyaching on tigernet is a complelte waste of your time and frankly just plain dumb.

We need Brownell more than he needs us. That's a fact !

Apr 2, 2013, 9:21 AM

Why should he stay here and listen to a bunch of armchair coaching babies?

Clemson will end up with a coach that is not any better than Brownell and he will still have the same players that don't get offered at Duke, UNC, etc.

Clemson is a football school.

Until we start cheating like UNC, playing with the clock like Duke and our players flop on the floor like goldfish when someone touches them things will always be the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not like arm chair coaches aren't every where...

Apr 2, 2013, 9:24 AM

I'm sure they are at Ball St too

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. They seem a little more unrealistic here though.***

Apr 2, 2013, 9:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't call wanting not wanting a coach

Apr 2, 2013, 9:36 AM

to get worse every yr and wanting what OP and Barnes did as unrealistic. With Brad's recruiting, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. He has a style and he's not even coming close to recruiting for it. We'll have 12 pg's on our team before all is said and done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the decreasing win total every year has the fanbase

Apr 2, 2013, 9:43 AM [ in reply to True. They seem a little more unrealistic here though.*** ]

deflated to say the least...you can talk until the cows come home about why that's the case....but when you had a coach here that increased his win total the first few years that says to a fan...we're on the uptick....we're headed in the right direction. When you've gone from the NCAA play in game to last place essentially in the league, losing to Big South teams, winning 13 games in an entire year, etc the fanbase either tunes you out and doesn't show up or at best is deflated.

Not wanting to lose 10 of your last 11 and 13 of 18 ACC

Apr 2, 2013, 9:59 AM [ in reply to True. They seem a little more unrealistic here though.*** ]

games is being unrealistic?

Why would anyone expect the natives to be satisfied with that?

The weird thing is that there isn't more outcry.

Apr 2, 2013, 10:25 AM

The ACC really wasn't very good this year. Why are there so many who feel like he's such a good coach. Being a successful coach in the ACC requires being competent at Xs and Os, AND being at least pretty good at recruiting. One without the other won't cut it. Why is this so hard for folks to see?

the ACC was average at best this year

Apr 2, 2013, 10:28 AM

the Mountain West Conference got more invites into the big dance.

these are the same people that defended Shyatt til

Apr 2, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to The weird thing is that there isn't more outcry. ]

the day he was fired or defended Steele to death.

I've said it before, if you have to continually make excuses for a coach, then somethings wrong.

I support giving Brownell more time but

Apr 2, 2013, 11:23 AM

I wanted Larry gone after year 2 or 3 and good lord was I ready for steele to go.

Where does that put me?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

naive?

Apr 2, 2013, 11:32 AM

Brad is a good coach but is train wrecking this team. The next coach, yes he will be eventually fired, will have a complete mess on his hands the longer Brad stays. OP left enough players on the team to last a couple of yrs. Brad will leave soph and juniors loaded on a team that are just a bunch of role players at best. The next coach will be stuck with players for a couple of yrs that unless he suggestively forces them to leave.

All coaches--esp at CU hoops--go eventually.

Apr 2, 2013, 11:38 AM

The trainwreck in the upper classes is not of his making. So I support him getting a chance to coach his own juniors and seniors. If he cant get us back to the top half of the ACC he should be let go.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

lol, all of OP's players are now gone. All of it is on Brad

Apr 2, 2013, 11:50 AM

now

OP's "mess" was pretty clean***

Apr 3, 2013, 12:35 PM [ in reply to naive? ]

And then there are boneheads like you who would have fired

Apr 3, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to these are the same people that defended Shyatt til ]

Dabo Swinney following the loss to USF or WVU even. Just admit it's true. What do you have to say about that now?

Brownell deserves another year, and thankfully those in charge aren't as ridiculously shortsighted as the lunatic fringe on tigernet.

Hood says BB is a great coach...what else is there to say?***

Apr 2, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to The weird thing is that there isn't more outcry. ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I'm sure you can come up with a ton of idiotic things to say

Apr 3, 2013, 1:03 PM

Fact.

Brownell just said he refuses to give up the Clemson....

Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 AM

HC job until a new basketball coliseum is built!

Oh boy...we're in trouble now! BB laying down the gauntlet!***

Apr 2, 2013, 12:08 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

"Well! Bye!"***

Apr 3, 2013, 6:25 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Replies: 51
| visibility 1