Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Most impressive thing about ETN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Most impressive thing about ETN

Sep 24, 2017, 1:49 AM

Is his vision to see the field in front of him and how it is going to develop before he gets there. It's been awhile since we've had a true RB with that kind of vision. Perfect example is his 2nd TD run. The play was designed to go to the right but as soon as he got the ball he made an extremely sharp cut and took it around the left side where he had to beat only 1 defender not 10 and take it to the house. He essential turned the play into a counter by doing this and it was improvised. I do not understand why we don't have a more intricate run game. We have ran no designed counters or pitch sweeps that I have seen. Everything is RPO and run off the B gap. I'm sure the coaches will say something about him not running the play as it was called but his improv is the only reason that play scored. I sure hope he gets a majority of the carries moving forward. He is a true talent and something we have been missing on offense over the last few years even with the numbers they have put up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most impressive thing about ETN

Sep 24, 2017, 5:40 AM

Do you know the role the tight end plays in our run game. Do you know we are very thin at tight end right now. Brad Chalk made a great block so Etienne could make that "counter" go. It amazes me that you cannot see that BC was loading eight in the box and their #7 should be playing on Sundays. We are a young team. Give them a little bit of a break. I trust our coaches.

Re: Most impressive thing about ETN

Sep 24, 2017, 6:00 AM

Last two games our running game has gained 297 yds on the road vs Louisville and just had 342 yds at home vs BC .
Maybe you're missing some of what I am seeing , which is a powerful running attack that is gaining 1st downs , converting 3rds and scoring TDs ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I'm not saying the run game has not been impressive

Sep 24, 2017, 10:47 AM

and it has been very effective and we have established a much better run game this season up to this point. My point was trying to convey that Travis is seeing the field much differently and more effectively than the other backs as a true freshman playing his 4th college game. The backs are amassing very impressive yards but they are doing it running basically the same play every run. Because of this the opposing defense can load the box and try to stuff it. I give a lot more credit to the O-line than a lot of others that we are gaining great positive yards against loaded boxes but those are all very tough hard fought for yards each run. I just would like to see designed runs that get the backs to the outside or some more misdirection that would allow the RB's to get to the second level without having to have perfect blocking or powering through a pile of defenders.
I'm not saying completely revamp the run attack, just throw in one or two counters a game and a toss sweep to mix it up and keep the defense on their toes rather than keying on the RB coming directly through the line. In the end I was not trying to knock the productive run game the team has had this season but highlight how impressive #9 really is and the ability he has to see the field I feel the other backs lack in sometimes.

Agreed on the lack of pitch sweeps, but

Sep 24, 2017, 6:22 AM

I do want to mention one thing in regards to the plays being run through the B gap. Our running game consists primarily of two basic conceptual plays—inside zone to the HB and lead power to the QB. The inside zone play calls for the HB to find the hole with the OL using a zone blocking scheme.

While this play most often goes through the B gap, it can also be run to the A gap via a cutback or the C or D gap by bouncing it outside. Technically speaking, it can even be run to the backside A, B, C, or D gap depending on the amount of pursuit by the defense. Because we implement a zone blocking scheme, this play functions as a sort of all-in-one type of run where the HB is able to choose the best hole to run through. The inside one can effectively function as a counter when the HB chooses to cutback sharply.

Running the inside zone requires a RB that has a much better sense of vision than simply running off tackle, dives, and counters. This is what makes Etienne so effective running this play. It's not so much that he completely improvised as it is that he had good enough vision to choose to cut back sharply effectively turning the play into a counter.

It's because of this potential variability of the IZ run to the HB that many of our HB runs end up looking very similar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was actually an earlier run where he cut it back

Sep 24, 2017, 7:18 AM

The final two runs after the one where he cut back sharply to the left were both designed runs to the left. The first one of them had two of the lineman pull to the outside and if #70 had blocked anyone Etienne would have scored on that play. The play where he scored was also run outside to the left with the H-back serving as a lead blocker to the outside.

Obviously I didn't remember that—I rewatched the 4th quarter of the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll have to re-watch the game

Sep 24, 2017, 10:52 AM

and see the broadcast to get a better full view of the field. I was trying to remember but might have mixed it up and from where we were sitting it was had to see how everything was developing. Either way I still think TE see's the field on an elite level and is a truly special talent especially as a true freshman.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic