Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do folks not realize most good NFL QBs were college studs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Do folks not realize most good NFL QBs were college studs?

Mar 9, 2017, 2:04 PM

Are are one or two exceptions, but if you look at the majority of successful NFL QBs currently, they were really good college players. Take the NFC South for example. They are the only division in football in which every team has a good situation at the QB position (if you don't consider age). The Falcons have Ryan, the Panthers have Cam, the Bucs have Winston, and the Saints have Brees. All 4 of those guys were elite college QBs.

Drafting an NFL QB is an inexact science, but it is clear that you have a higher probability of drafting a good one if you select an elite college player vs someone you're projecting/ developing. How some feel Watson is not a worthy gamble for a high draft selection is beyond me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do folks not realize most good NFL QBs were college studs?

Mar 9, 2017, 3:23 PM

I wish, instead of concentrating so much on the "playing under center" debate, analysts / scouts would instead look at similarities between a QB's college playbook / scheme and their prospective NFL team's.

Part of the reason Dak Prescott has transitioned and excelled so smoothly is because of the similarities in how Miss State and the Cowboys run their offense. The "playing under center" bit, or lack thereof, didn't impact his play much at all at the next level.

I'm so fn sick of hearing how college is "spread offense" and how none of it translates to the NFL. It really comes down to technique, coaching, football IQ, and preparedness. If the spread is such an easy system, why isn't every quarterback 32-3 after 3 years?! And if Trubisky is so dang good, why was he 8-5 in ONE?

In the case of Dak, it doesn't hurt to get drafted onto the

Mar 10, 2017, 9:08 AM

team with the best OL in the NFL.

Most bad NFL QB's were also college studs.***

Mar 9, 2017, 3:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Beat me to it.***

Mar 10, 2017, 9:08 AM

That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB..

Mar 9, 2017, 4:54 PM

Tom Brady wasn't, Tony Romo wasn't, Joe Flacco wasn't

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB..

Mar 9, 2017, 5:55 PM

Joe Flacco made it to a National Championship game and set 20 school records in college albeit in FCS.
Perhaps his coaches are pittsburgh who redshirted him and then let him play 2nd string were the problem.
Either way that's a pretty good career.
The Ravens made him their #1 pick.
Probably similar with Brady the coaches were too caught up with Drew Henson to not realize they had the GOAT on their team.

Mar 10, 2017, 5:11 AM

Saw where Brady's career numbers at Michigan was 35 TDs and 19 Ints; that he never started a game for his high school team. Not sure if that is all correct, the internet was my source.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you need to go back and look at Joe's stats

Mar 9, 2017, 8:22 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB.. ]

he wasn't elite in H.S.

but he certainly was at Notre Dame.

Mar 10, 2017, 6:36 AM [ in reply to That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB.. ]

Haha. So you use 3 QBs out of 1000s to try to make your point. Brilliant as usual Queenie.

Post's about increasing the probability of getting a good QB

Mar 10, 2017, 9:04 AM [ in reply to That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB.. ]

I never said all college studs were good NFL QBs. Only that the probability of a guy with DW4's college credentials to be successful in the pros is way higher than the probability of a guy with Tom Brady's college credentials. The odds of the Patriots finding a QB lke Brady in the 6th round is probably as likely as one of us winning the lottery.

QBs are hit are miss in the NFL. So, if you're gonna gamble on drafting a college QB, history and odds say you're better off drafting a guy like Watson than the other alternatives.

Michigan was my 2nd team back in the 90s when in was in

Mar 10, 2017, 9:21 AM

middle and high school and i always thought Brady was pretty darn good. He got a little bit of a raw deal in 99 because the staff seemed determined to make mega-recruit Drew Henson work at QB, but Brady had really solid numbers. I think he went so low because he wasn't a good athlete and he had a terrible combine.

Joe was, easily***

Mar 10, 2017, 9:34 AM [ in reply to That's not true. Joe Montana wasn't an elite college QB.. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic